Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS RN104 permissions issue

straylight_77
Aspirant

ReadyNAS RN104 permissions issue

Hi

I am having a lot of trouble with permissions on a ReadyNAS RN104.

It has been configured for local accounts (NOT AD) and is integrated with ReadyCloud for remote access to documents.

The issue that I am seeing is that I have a user who has full access rights to a share, that is read/write on both share and file permissions.

The user can access the share and see all folders.

the user CAN NOT access folders with folder names starting with A through to the first half of K

the user CAN access folders with folder names starting in the second half of K through to Z

Troubleshooting steps so far:

I have tried renaming one of the folders starting with A by putting a Z in front, this didnt help.

I have tried setting explicit file permissions on folders that were inaccessible, this didnt help.

I have gone through and checked both share and file permissions

I have configured the user as an administrator

I have deleted and recreated user

I have created additional new users with the same share/file access

I have restarted the NAS

I have restarted SMB service

I have checked system time

ALL of the above result in the same issue

The same user has access to other shares on the same NAS and is able to access these without a problem.

So any help here would be useful

Thanks in advance 🙂

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 3

Accepted Solutions
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS RN104 permissions issue

Hi @straylight_77

Welcome to the Community!

Is this happening to one user account only? You may want to try and reset the permissions on your Shared folders first.

Restore default file and share folder access

Also if your NAS firmware is not up-to-date I would advise doing so, latest firmware is OS 6.9.3

Warnings:

• Devices updated with 6.9.3 firmware should not be downgraded to firmware versions before 6.9.0.
  • ReadyNAS 102, 104, and 2120 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x or older firmware.  They must first be updated to either 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.
  • ReadyNAS 202, 204, 212 and 212 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x. They must first be updated to 6.3.5 then 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.

Regards

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 3

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @straylight_77

Welcome to the Community!

Is this happening to one user account only? You may want to try and reset the permissions on your Shared folders first.

Restore default file and share folder access

Also if your NAS firmware is not up-to-date I would advise doing so, latest firmware is OS 6.9.3

Warnings:

• Devices updated with 6.9.3 firmware should not be downgraded to firmware versions before 6.9.0.
  • ReadyNAS 102, 104, and 2120 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x or older firmware.  They must first be updated to either 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 then to 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.
  • ReadyNAS 202, 204, 212 and 212 must not be updated directly to 6.9.x from 6.3.x. They must first be updated to 6.3.5 then 6.5.2 and then onto 6.9.x.

Regards

Message 2 of 3
straylight_77
Aspirant

Thanks for that.

I found there were 2 problems. 

I went and reset permissions for the share but found that the user could no longer get in at all.

I then went and reset their password in the Ready Cloud console and he was then able to connect.

Message 3 of 3
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 2 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements