Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS/ReadyCloud: How to set up a share with different access levels?

AMK64
Aspirant

ReadyNAS/ReadyCloud: How to set up a share with different access levels?

Hi you all,

I would like to grant different access rights to different ReadyCloud users at directory structure level. Suppose the share structure looks like this:

/topdir

/subdir1

/subdir2

user1 should be able to access /topdir and the directories below it (i.e. subdir1 and subdir2)

user2 should be able to access /subdir1 only

user3 should be able to acces - you guessed it - /subdir2 only

I know I can set up 2 or more individual shares and give the different users the access to the shares they need, but as I also have LAN access to that share, doing so would mess up that nice directory structure of the share and I'd end up with a lot of (mapped) network drives.

Any help on this topic is highly appreciated.

Thanks,

-Alois

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
BingkeX
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS/ReadyCloud: How to set up a share with different access levels?

Hi AMK64,

As you know, for readynas, acl permission is set based on the whole share, not subfolder in share.

If you want to set permision for subfolder in share, you can use setfacl command for subfolder in share to achive this. But i have a concern. Do you puchase your readynas in last 90 days( which is free support period ) or beyound of  90 days? 

If you are still in free Support period, strongley recommended don't turn on ssh service and use setfacl  command.

If you are beyound of 90 Days and you don't mind, you can turn on ssh service and use setfacl command to achive your goal.

You can setfacl for user2, user3. For example: Under topdir,

setfacl -R -m user:user1:rwx subdir1

setfacl -dR -m user:user1:rwx subdir1

setfacl -R -m user:user2:--- subdir1

setfacl -dR -m user:user2:--- subdir1

setfacl -R -m user:user2:rwx subdir2

setfacl -dR -m user:user2:rwx subdir2

setfacl -R -m user:user1:--- subdir2

setfacl -dR -m user:user:--- subdir2.

PS: If you setfacl with shares or subfolders with setfacl command, don't change "File Access" tab for the share again. As it maybe impact on facl for share.

Hope it is useful.

Best Regards.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
BingkeX
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS/ReadyCloud: How to set up a share with different access levels?

Hi AMK64,

As you know, for readynas, acl permission is set based on the whole share, not subfolder in share.

If you want to set permision for subfolder in share, you can use setfacl command for subfolder in share to achive this. But i have a concern. Do you puchase your readynas in last 90 days( which is free support period ) or beyound of  90 days? 

If you are still in free Support period, strongley recommended don't turn on ssh service and use setfacl  command.

If you are beyound of 90 Days and you don't mind, you can turn on ssh service and use setfacl command to achive your goal.

You can setfacl for user2, user3. For example: Under topdir,

setfacl -R -m user:user1:rwx subdir1

setfacl -dR -m user:user1:rwx subdir1

setfacl -R -m user:user2:--- subdir1

setfacl -dR -m user:user2:--- subdir1

setfacl -R -m user:user2:rwx subdir2

setfacl -dR -m user:user2:rwx subdir2

setfacl -R -m user:user1:--- subdir2

setfacl -dR -m user:user:--- subdir2.

PS: If you setfacl with shares or subfolders with setfacl command, don't change "File Access" tab for the share again. As it maybe impact on facl for share.

Hope it is useful.

Best Regards.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements