Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) restarting

Trikeboy
Aspirant

ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) restarting

For some while, my ReadyNAS has been restarting each night at about the same time (0205 to 0210); shown in the log as "System: ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) was restarted" and about a minute later: "ReadyNASOS background service started.".

I wondered whether anybody could suggest a reason for this?

I'm running the latest firmware (6.8.0) and have 3x4TB disks installed.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: ReadyNASOS service or process (readynasd) restarting

Just to rule out the obvious- 

• Can you confirm that you aren't using the power schedule feature?
  • Are you seeing anything in the logs that give a hint on why the NAS shut down?

Message 2 of 14
Trikeboy
Aspirant

Thank you or responding.

I can confirm that I'm not using the Power Timer feature.

I can't see anything in the logs, but Im not sure I'd recognise something if it was there; I'm very much an amateur!

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Perhaps wait a bit, and see if Netgear wants to analyze your logs.

Message 4 of 14
BingkeX
NETGEAR Expert

Hi Trikeboy,

Would you please send your logs to us?

How do I send all logs to ReadyNAS Community moderators?
https://kb.netgear.com/21543/How-do-I-send-all-logs-to-ReadyNAS-Community-moderators 

Best Regards.

Message 5 of 14
Trikeboy
Aspirant

Hi BingkeX

Thanks very much for responding. I've just sent my log file to you as directed (you may receive 2 emails, but the log file is the same in each).

I've noticed on the last few days that I'm getting an alert to tell me that capacity is now less than 30%. I can't think this would be causing the problem, because the issue has been happening for a couple of months at least, but I'll wait your expert opinion.

Thanks again.

Trikeboy

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 6 of 14
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

It looks like that's the time Plex kicks off a rescan of your media library.  Plex ends up eating all of your memory, which forces the kernel to start killing processes.

If you need Plex, you may need to disable other memory-hungy features.  I'd start with either Anti-Virus or File Search.

Message 7 of 14
Trikeboy
Aspirant

Many thanks Skywalker, I've disabled File Search and will see what happens. I don't really understand the implications of doing this: will this have an impact on  my use of the NAS please?

Message 8 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@Trikeboy wrote:

I've disabled File Search and will see what happens. I don't really understand the implications of doing this: will this have an impact on  my use of the NAS please?

You just lose the file search feature.

Message 9 of 14
Trikeboy
Aspirant

Thanks for your continuing help.

I've disabled File Search which made no difference so I disabled Anti-Virus (is this advisable?), but it still made no difference. Is there anythign else you could suggest please?

Message 10 of 14
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Provide an updated set of logs after disabling file search and antivirus and after you experience the problem.

Plex might still be excessively power hungry in scanning your data. 

Message 11 of 14
Trikeboy
Aspirant

I've just emailed the latest log file as requested.

Many thanks.

Message 12 of 14
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Thanks for sending your logs. Plex Media Scan called on the system to start killing processes again around 02:07

Honestly, I used to have this issue, too... and it was because I had a large amount of data on my NAS and it was also fragmented. Plex Media Scan goes and scans all your data file by file in your library directories. I ended up having to move to a ReadyNAS with substantially more RAM to meet my Plex requirements.  Do you have a large Plex library? How many files and what's the total size of data?  Do you run any volume maintenance? If not, I recommend trying to defrag your system before your next Media Scan (turn off Plex probably for a few hours) and defrag your content. It may help you. 

Message 13 of 14
Trikeboy
Aspirant

Many thanks kohdee.

Strangely last night, for the first time in months, it didn't restart! Not sure why, as I hadn't changed anything at all.

I do have a large Plex library with several thousand media files (nearly 5Tb).

I can't afford to replace the NAS so I'll have to try to find a solution with what I have at least for the time being. I wonder whether I need Plex to update the libraries every night which is presumably what's causing the memory problem. I could manually update the individual libraries when there are changes which shouldn't be too often. I know this isn't a Plex forum, but does that some like a workable compromise to you?

I've recently started to defrag and have set it to do it once a month, though I'm not sure that it completed last time, possibly due to the system restarting. I'll try it with Plex switched off as you've suggested. I've also scheduled the system to scrub and balance once a month (different dates for each).

Thanks again for all your help.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements