Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readycloud not playing avi and mkv files, only MP4

DavidCXX
Aspirant

Readycloud not playing avi and mkv files, only MP4

Hello, I am using an iPad 2 and readycloud with readynas but it won't play avi or mkv files. Mp4 files work absolutely fine but avi files just the QuickTime Q logo appears, it looks like it is trying to play an audio file but there is no sound and no images even though the timer is going.

the mkv files seem like they are downloading but then nothing happens. I have a mobile that seems to play them fine. I have tried reinstalling readycloud but that doesn't work. 

Im afraid I am not the most technically astute but this is really annoying so any help would be appreciated, thanks in advance.

David.

Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: Readycloud not playing avi and mkv files, only MP4

I think your problem is because the ipad's built-in video player doesn't support avi or mkv - and readycloud uses that player.

What NAS do you own?

Message 2 of 14
DavidCXX
Aspirant

It is a readynas 104. the strange thing is that I was pretty sure it was working until the recent IOS upgrade...

Message 3 of 14
DavidCXX
Aspirant

is there a way using readynas with another video player such as vlc? I have this and 8player - I would create a VPN instead as I have heard that is one approach, but I have no idea how to do this or if it is possible?

Message 4 of 14
StephenB
Guru

There are two options that I think are worth trying next.  Neither require ReadyCloud.

One is AVPlayerHD.  It will play both AVI and MKV, and you can connect to it over the internet using FTP.

You could also try Plex.  There is a free plex server app available for the RN104. The challenge here is that the RN104 isn't capable of real-time transcoding, which limits what you can play. Still, it is worth a try.

Message 5 of 14
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Sorry yes I also had tried plex and had hit the transcoding issue - if I had known about that I would have bought a better NAS box! On that question is it difficult to upgrade to a better box in terms of all the stuff I have on the hard drives? Or can I just switch them over to a better one? If so any suggestions?

But re AVPlayerHD, I'll definitely try that thanks. I am really sorry to ask but what does that mean re FTP? Is there an easy (idiot's) guide to how I do this? 

Many thanks for your help on this.

Message 6 of 14
StephenB
Guru

As far as FTP goes, there are some guides here.  AVplayerHD also supports smb, so you can check the playback of your files w/o FTP.

You can migrate to another OS6 NAS pretty easily.  Uninstall the apps, move the disks (with the units powered down), then do an OS reinstall from the new unit. Then reinstall the apps.

I do recommend updating your backup first though.

Message 7 of 14
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Hi - I've downloaded AVplayerHD and tried using the FTP client but am having problems (also had a problem with the readynas in an update but thankfully all sorted thanks for your advice on other posting!).

Initally it kept saying the connection failed but now it doesnt which makes me think that I have set up the readynas connection correctly (annonymous, masquerade as name of readynas, port 21) is correct - but it then just says 'file list received: 0' 

Could you advise on what I need to do to access my media folders from the readynas? 

Thanks for your patience!

David.

Message 8 of 14
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Sorry - I think I've worked it out! changed the share access on the readynas admin page - will this now be accessible from wi-fi other than those connected to my home network?

That is great if so and a big thank you!

Message 9 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi DavidCXX,

Yes, as long they have an FTP client or their device can access an FTP folder/server. For more information about FTP and if you want to add security, check these following articles.

How do I configure File Transfer Protocol (FTP) settings on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

How do I use FTP to access a shared folder on my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You won't need masquerade set for AVPlayerHD - and if you also want to use it on your home network, you can't enable masquerade.

You will need a much smaller range of passive ports (since they need to be forwarded in your router).  4 is enough for me - for instance 50001-50004.  It is best to use ports in the range 49152-65535 (these are all reserved for private use on the internet).

You can also use a non-standard port instead of 21 (for instance 50000).  That can be useful if you have other FTP services running, or if your ISP blocks port 21 (the latter is rare).  Whatever port you use also needs to be forwarded in your router.

Unfortunately AVPlayerHD doesn't support FTPS.

For over-the-internet use, you'll also need to get a dynamic dhcp service (like dyndns or no-ip).  That will give you a consistent name you can use to access your home network.

FTP wasn't really designed for streaming, and if the internet connection is congested you'll have stuttering issues no matter what protocol you use.  So in some cases you might need to download the AVI/MKV and then play it.  You can do that with AVPlayerHD.  GoodReader is another app I use which gives general access to NAS files.

Message 11 of 14
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Ok - it seemed to be working on my home network even when masquerade was enabled but I have disabled it. I've reduced the number of ports to 4 but kept the port to 21. 

I tried it via a wifi other than my home network and it still didnt work - but i really don't understand what I need to to with the dhcp? Can you explain? 

Thanks for your patience.

Message 12 of 14
DavidCXX
Aspirant

Ive also signed up on no-ip and created a hostname - I'm just not sure what I do next! 

Message 13 of 14
StephenB
Guru

You need to forward the 5 ports for FTP to the NAS local IP address in your router.  It is best if you reserve that IP address, so it is always assigned to the NAS.  Almost all routers let you do that.

Then you need to add a new server for AVPlayerHD - using the noip DDNS name.

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements