Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Readynas NV V1 Using ReadyCloud

McRob2
Aspirant

Readynas NV V1 Using ReadyCloud

I am looking for some help on how to setup readycloud on a old Readynas NV running firmware 4.1.15.

I installed the add on application but I am not able to discover the NAS by pressing the backup button for 5 seconds.

I was able to add an existing email to the authorized account list.

I have the same issue with an old Readynas Pro NAS.

Is it possible to have more than one NAS listed in the web based readycloud account.

Model: RND4210v1|READYNAS NV+ v1|EOL
Message 1 of 10
bedlam1
Prodigy

Re: Readynas NV V1 Using ReadyCloud

Readycloud is only compatable with OS 6, you need to use ReadyNAS Remote

Message 2 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello McRob2,

Please use ReadyNAS Remote.

Regards,

Message 3 of 10
McRob2
Aspirant

I installed readynas remote.  It uninstalled my readycloud desktop application.  I guess they are not compatable with each other?

Is it possible to connect to a readynas NV and a Readynas 516  and a Readynas Pro at the same time?  Each one is running a different level of firmware.

When I installed readynas remote it corrupted my admin password on my readynas 516 and I could no longer get to the admin page.  I had to do a firmware update reset in order to log into it again.

Now my windows 10 computer will no longer log into it using file explorer.  I can see the device in the network listing but it says windows cannot access device.  I can get to the admin page without any problems.  Is it possible that installing readynas remote somehow corrupted my windows 10 network settings?

I can still access readynas 516 using readycloud desktop application on a Apple computer without any issues.  Is readynas remote available for Apple?

Just a few more things to work thru.

Thanks for the tip on using ReadyNas Remote, I guess.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV|ReadyNAS NV
Message 4 of 10
McRob2
Aspirant

Just an update to my prior post.

My windows 10 machine just started working on it's own.  I changed nothing and it now is able to access the ReadyNAS using file explorer.

I see that windows 10 is not listed as supported for ReadyNAS Remote.  Is that going to be a problem?

I still have the question on compatibility between ReadyNAS Remote software and Readycloud Desktop software.  Can they both run on the same windows 10 computer.

Thanks.

Model: RN51664E|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 5 of 10
McRob2
Aspirant

I spoke too soon. My windows 10 file explorer works about 5 percent of the time.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 6 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello McRob2,

I remember I saw one of our machines have these 2 installed and both can run. But, I don't remember running them at the same time. Just don't get confused that ReadyCloud is for ReadyNAS OS6 which is your RN516 and ReadyNAS Remote is for your legacy unit.

If you are in the same network where the NAS is, you do not need these two. you may simply map the LAN IP address of the NAS on the address bar of your Windows explorer.

Regards,

Message 7 of 10
Sandshark
Sensei

JennC: If ReadyNAS Remote and ReadyCloud can co-exist on a single machine without using a VM for one of them, then this is a very new change.  I complained profusely when their incompatibility with each other was announced, for precisely the reason that this user is running into.  The Windows ReadyCloud cliet un-installs the ReadyNAS Remote one (or at least used to, I gave up on it in favor of ZeroTier).  The opposite may not be true, as the ReadyNAS Remote installer may be ignorant of the existance of ReadyCloud.  But they definately don't get along on the same machine.

McRob2: ZeroTier may be an answer for you.  You could use it on the 516 (and on the Pro if you upgrade it to OS6.6 -- which I recommend) and you could still use ReadyNAS Remote for the NV+ (and the Pro if you stick with OS 4.2.x).  The NV+ (and Pro with OS 4.2.x) being based on Debian Etch, the OS is just too old to get a working ZeroTier installation.

Do a forum search on "ZeroTier" and you'll find my positng on the subject.  Unlike ReadyCloud, it even lets your ReadyNASes talk to each other over the VPN (for easy remote backup).  Like ReadyCloud and unlike most other VPN solutions, it works in conjunction with your primary network connection, not instead of it.

Message 8 of 10
McRob2
Aspirant

Upgrading the ReadyNas Pro to firmware 6.6 sounds like it might be a good idea. 

Does anyone know if there are any published instructions on how to do it.

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNASRNDP6000v2|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 9 of 10
bedlam1
Prodigy

First update BIOS under OS 4 using the following link http://www.readynas.com/download/addons/x86/4.2/BIOS_Update_Package_0.5-x86.bin  In case anyone missed it, that is done using the ADD-ON tab and NOT the firmware tab.  It does require a reboot to become effective though. 

Then follow the instructions posted by @StephenB 

Basic instructions are
BACKUP, BACKUP, BACKUP all data and perhaps make a note of your OS 4 settings
Download PREP4TOR6_0.1-x86.bin
Upload it using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update, but do not reboot afterwards (avoids the need to do manual factory resets)
Download R4toR6_latest.bin
Upload it using the ReadyNAS web gui firmware update
After you upload the addon/firmware and reboot, it will update the firmware and start a factory default.
As you can see it does a factory default, so all data on the NAS will be lost.

I should mention that after uploading the R4toR6 it literally jumps you to the system/shutdown tab where you have to select shutdown/reboot and hit apply to complete the upgrade.  I also watched the LCD screen on the front and within the first 10-20 seconds it showed ERR: Could not properly extract. It then went to Booting with a percentage followed by a bar, rebooted again showed Factory Reset and then Installing FW X-RAID2 Mode.  It then showed Booting...XX% bar graph one more time before showing ReadyNAS Ultra 4 6.6.0 and entering the Rsync data setting.

Setup your NAS from scratch, Resore Data

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements