Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Reboot and Firmware update, now my NAS is empty!!!

PaulMQDX
Aspirant

Reboot and Firmware update, now my NAS is empty!!!

I just ran a reboot on my company's ReadyNAS through the web portal to update the firmware from 6.2.2 to 6.2.4. We've been having problems inviting people to see folders (some can, some can't) so I hoped the reboot and update would fix it.

It shut down ok, and apparently restarted ok, and is now showing firmware version 6.2.4, but unfortunatly, it appears completely empty! User data is present, but the entire folder structure has disappeared, both to admin accounts and normal users. It simply states "No Volumes or USB Disks"

As I'm not on the local network at the moment, I can't access the Admin page. Does anyone have any suggestions as what to look at now, or in 9 hours time when I can connect to it locally?

Message 1 of 10
PaulMQDX
Aspirant

Slight update,

I've managed to get into the admin page after all. Checking the logs, it shows:

Thu Jul 30 2015 21:20:10 System: Antivirus scanner definition file update failed due to downloading fail. Please check internet connection.
Thu Jul 30 2015 21:13:31 System: ReadyNASOS background service started.
Thu Jul 30 2015 21:00:53 System: The system is rebooting.
Thu Jul 30 2015 20:59:16 System: The system is rebooting.
Thu Jul 30 2015 20:57:28 System: The system is rebooting.
Thu Jul 30 2015 15:40:53 System: Antivirus scanner definition file has been updated to '201507301223'.
Message 2 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi PaulMQDX, 

I am suspecting a drive failure may have occured during the update. Did you get any notifications from the NAS about the drives? What is the model of your NAS by the way? 

I'll look forward to your response. 

Thanks, 

Message 3 of 10
PaulMQDX
Aspirant

Thanks John

Its a ReadyNAS 516, 6x4Tb drives in Raid 6 Array

No, no notifications about any drives. I've got all the recent log files, what should I be looking for?

Message 4 of 10
JohnRo
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PaulMQDX, 

Please check the drive status. You can find it on System>Performance, just hover the mouse pointer on the circles next to the name of the drives. You can also send me a PM for a download link of you logs so I can check it. 

I'll look forward to your update. 

Thanks, 

Message 5 of 10
PaulMQDX
Aspirant

Thanks John.

performance.png

Disc1.png

Disc2.png

Disc3.png

Disc4.png

Disc5.png

Disc6.png

Message 6 of 10
PaulMQDX
Aspirant

PM with link to log files sent also.

Message 7 of 10
PaulMQDX
Aspirant

Sorted now. With help from Raf @ netgear, NAS is now (nearly) back. It needed the USB encryption key inserting for the reboot, luckily I remembered where it was. Folder contents now visible again, although only through the web interface, not through Windows Explorer.

Message 8 of 10
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello PaulMQDX,

We are glad to hear disks are fine.

To access the folders/files/shares, make sure you are using the NAS' current IP address when mapping on Windows explorer.

Please also make sure SMB/CIFS protocol is enabled on each and every share you are tryiing to access. That is under Shares then click on each share then click Settings. Go to Network Access and make sure SMB is lit up green.

Regards,

Message 9 of 10
PaulMQDX
Aspirant

All it took was time. Everything working fine now. Thanks for all your assistance.

Message 10 of 10
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 9 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements