Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Sync Home Folder in ReadyCloud Desktop App

dschwartzer
Luminary

Sync Home Folder in ReadyCloud Desktop App

I have a ReadyNAS 202 running OS 6.5.1 and am using the ReadyCloud Desktop Client version 1.3 for OS X (Mac).  I have created a folder in my private Home Directory that I would like to sync to my Mac but when I look at the Desktop Client, I do not see the Home folder and obvisously, not the subfolders in the Home folder.

If I log in to ReadyCloud via the Web I see the Home folder and the subfolders in it.

The ID I am using is the Administrator ID I created when I set up the ReadyNAS.

I'm thinking there has to be a way to see the Home Folder in the ReadyNAS Client.  Am I missing something?

Thanks,

David

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 1 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Re: Sync Home Folder in ReadyCloud Desktop App

Did you create a folder in home manually?  You shouldn't have.  

The folders in home are created by the system for each user account.  Only the folder named XYZ is visible to user XYZ, and home itself isn't visible (though of course the admin user sees both home itself and all folders in it).  

Similarly you shouldn't add folders to the data volume, instead you should create shares on from the admin web ui.

Message 2 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

Stephen:

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I did not create my own home folder.  It was created by the system the first time I signed in to ReadyCloud using the email address I used to set up my master MyNetgear / ReadyCloud account. I see the Home folder in the ReadyCloud web access and in the Admin Web interface but not in the desktop client.

The subfolder I created was created in my Home folder using the ReadyCloud Web site.  Isn't taht acceptable given that a reuylar user would not have access to the Admin UI?

Regards,

David

Message 3 of 14
StephenB
Guru

@dschwartzer wrote:

I did not create my own home folder.  It was created by the system the first time I signed in to ReadyCloud using the email address I used to set up my master MyNetgear / ReadyCloud account.

Thx for clarifying.  I thought you might have accessed \\nasname\data\home and as administrator and created a folder there - which is possible, but not a good idea.

@dschwartzer wrote:

The subfolder I created was created in my Home folder using the ReadyCloud Web site.  Isn't taht acceptable given that a reuylar user would not have access to the Admin UI?

Yes that is perfectly fine.

@dschwartzer wrote:

I see the Home folder in the ReadyCloud web access and in the Admin Web interface but not in the desktop client.

If the desktop client is using the same user credentials, then you should be seeing the home folder (and its subfolders) there. 

Message 4 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

Stephen:

I should be but I'm not.

Here is a screen shot of the ReadyCloud Web interface (not the Admin page).  This shows you that the Home folder and subfolders exist.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 9.25.19 PM.jpg

Herre is a partial screen shot of the Mac Desktop Client.  As you can see, the Home folder does not exist.

Screen Shot 2016-07-06 at 9.25.51 PM.jpg

I am using the same email address and password for both logins.

Thoughts?

Regards,

David

Message 5 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

Stephen:

I did a little more trouble shooting and may have identifierd the issue but I don't know how to solve it.

I decided to Leave ReadyCloud from the Cloud tab of the Admin panel.  I then reconnected the ReadyNAS using the same email address I originally used.  The ReadyNAS recconected to ReadyCloud and I have now logged back in using the ReadyCloud web site as well as the Desktop client.  I am able to connect to the Shares but only the Public Shares are visible.

When I look back in the Admin panel, there is a Home share but my individual Home folder has not been created and does not appear in either the web version of ReadyShare or in the desktop client.

I did get the usual email telling me I have been given access to network storage on the ReadyNAS

Any idea what is going on?

Regards,

David

Message 6 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

Stephen:

A little more information.  I just signed in using the mobile iPhone app and that appaently created the Home folder which I see onthe Web portal but it still does not appear in the desktop client.

Thoughts?

Regards,

David

Message 7 of 14
StephenB
Guru

Can you access the home folder using finder (not using the desktop app)?

Message 8 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

Stephen:

Sorry for the delayed response but I wasn'r local to the Mac until now.

The ReadyNAS is listed in the Finder sidebar three times.  Once for the SMB connectio, once for the AFP conection and once for a "Guest" connection.  All of those connections show only the four shared folders.  The Home folder is not listed in any of them.  See the screen shiot below.

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 5.40.44 PM.jpg

That said, I see that it says I am connected as Guest.  Not sure why that is.

Does that help?

Regards,

David

Message 9 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dschwartzer & StephenB,

The home folder can be seen in both the ReadyCLOUD web portal page and the mobile iOS & Android apps. NETGEAR is aware of this issue and we'll post updates soon.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 10 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

Dear Brian and StephenB:

Thanks for the additional information.  I assume that to mean that until this is resolved with an update to the desktop client, we are not able to syn a folder with the ReadyNAS, correct?

Just to follow up on StephenB's question earlier when he asked if I could see the Home folder in Finder I said that I could not but also noticed that it showed me with Guest access.  I decided to click on the Connect button and entered my ReadyCloud ID and Password and the Home folder is now visible.  See the screen shot below.  I did have to log in to all three entries on the sidebar and I still do not see the Home folder in the ReadyCloud Desktop Client but based on Brian's coment, that should be expected.

Screen Shot 2016-07-07 at 7.19.45 PM.jpg

Let me know if you need anything else from me.  Any idea when the update will be available?

Regards,

David

Model: RN202|ReadyNAS202
Message 11 of 14
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dschwartzer,

Thanks for providing additional information and for answering StephenB's question. With regard to the app update, I wouldn't bet on that yet and I have no info when it'll be available. Let me ask my colleagues for some info and let you know the soonest.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 14
atsob
Guide

Dear all

I have exactly the same issue with RN2014, firmware 6.5.1 and Windows ReadyCLOUD Client 1.12 on Windows 10.

I can see all shares in ReadyCLOUD client application but Home..

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Angelos

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 13 of 14
dschwartzer
Luminary

Angelos:

This appears to be a known issue and will be addressed in a future ReadyCloud Desktop app update.

In the interim, if you want to set up a private sync folder you can try what I did.

I created a new share on the ReadyNAS and provided access to only my ReadyCloud ID. I was then able to sync that folder to my (Mac) desktop.

For now that does what I need but I hope Netgear fixes the desktop app soon.

Hope that helps.

David
Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements