Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Why Did ReadCLOUD Create Folders on My Hard Drive?

ReadyJoe
Tutor

Why Did ReadCLOUD Create Folders on My Hard Drive?

This morning when I fired up my computer my startup hard disk was full. It created lots of problems.

ReadyCLOUD created backup folders on my computer and copied files from my computer into these folders on my computer instead of syncing them to the ReadyNAS102.

Why would it do that? I already had these folders set up on the NAS to sync the directories to.

How do I get the sync going back to the proper shares on the ReadyNAS?

Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Re: Why Did ReadCLOUD Create Folders on My Hard Drive?

Hello,

Yes I believe so. If you start a new backup without deleting the backup share first a new one will be created with the same name and a "-2" added.

Bye,

Eskender

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 8

All Replies
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

the intended use of the sync function begins with a share on your ReadyNAS containing data. If you then enable sync in the ReadyCLOUD App for this share a folder on your PC will be created and all files synced to this new folder. For Windows this folder is within you’re your user directory/ReadyCLOUD.

Could you please confirm each step that you took that had you end up with a local duplicate of your data?

Thanks,

Eskender

Message 2 of 8
ReadyJoe
Tutor

Initially when I installed ReadyCLOUD on my Mac I selected a folder on my Mac drive and a share was created on the ReadyNAS and the files were syncing from the ones on the Mac hard drive to the ReadNAS. This is what I thought the intended usage of ReadyCLOUD was for, to back up files from my computer hard drive to the NAS.

I set up several directories to sync like this. Then one day I noticed the directories weren't syncing and so I clicked the dropdown to start the syncs for each of the folders. The next day my hard drive was full because it created directories on my Mac hard drive, in a directory called ReadyCLOUD just as you describe, and the files from the NAS were copied to my Mac hard drive ignoring the original ones that previously were syncing.

Message 3 of 8
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

the first action that you performed seems to be the Backup function of the ReadyNAS App. This is does, as you described, create a new share on the ReadyNAS and copy files from the client to the ReadyNAS. I am currently away from home, so unfortunately I cannot check if this not indicated correctly on the ReadyNAS App for Mac.

The second function, that you then applied, is the sync function. This can only be applied if the backup function is stopped first. This, again as you described, syncs file from your ReadyNAS to a newly created folder on your client.

These two function should not be combined. Could you please confirm what you original intentions were? Would you like to create a backup of your client data on your ReadyNAS (this is a one way operation) or would like to have the data synced (any operation either on the ReadyNAS or the client will be performed on the other device as well)?

However, looking at the App right now I do see the problem that once a backup is stopped it can only be resumed by deleting the share and recreating the backup as the App only offers to resume a sync which is not desired.

I will pass this on, thank you,

Eskender

Message 4 of 8
ReadyJoe
Tutor

Hi EskenderNG,

Thank you very much for your reply.

My intended operation was for a backup of directories on my Mac computer to the ReadyNAS.

I didn't realize that sync and backup are two different things. Backup is what I want in this case.

Best regards, 

Joe Sonne

Message 5 of 8
ReadyJoe
Tutor

So in order to get my backups going I need to delete those shares and start over?
Message 6 of 8
EskenderNG
NETGEAR Employee

Hello,

Yes I believe so. If you start a new backup without deleting the backup share first a new one will be created with the same name and a "-2" added.

Bye,

Eskender

Message 7 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Same thing happened to me on a Windows 7 Laptop, I assumed that once folders on the PC were "backed up" to Readycloud that the Sync function would simply adjust any changes within each folder ie if more documents or images were added to the appropriate folder. My HD filled up rapidly now I think I understand why, the folder created on my PC under Favourites in Windows Explorer was the result I guess. Thanks for the explanation. Cheers

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements