Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: encryption of replication

fiber2
Tutor

encryption of replication

If I would replicate from a source NAS to a target NAS (both Netgear), can I make sure that at the target NAS people cannot read the data that has been replicated?

Does that work because I can indicate to replicate to a share where others have no access or is it encrypted and I do not even have access (and would need to restore from there).

Message 1 of 5
StephenB
Guru

ReadyNAS has no built-in tools fo encrypt backups on the destination.  You'd be limited to setting up access controls (ACL) on the destination shares.

CrashPlan would let you do this (setting up a friend backup on the target NAS).  Those backups are encrypted (and versioned)  You can use the free version for that, and the data wouldn't be saved on the crashplan servers.  But getting Crashplan to work over the long haul on the NAS is a bit tricky (and installing it requires ssh access).  You'd need x86 NAS for this.

Running Crashplan on a PC on each site would be easier, but it would need full (admin) access to the NAS data volume.  So that PC would have access to all the data on the source NAS.

Message 2 of 5
fiber2
Tutor

Indeed. I am using Crashplan now and besides not having access to the personal shares that are created when creating local NAS account, it also depends on simultaneous up time of both PC's.

Because of those, I was hoping I can arrange this via the ReadyNAS/ReadyCloud itself.

Where can I post a feature request? 🙂

Message 3 of 5
jak0lantash
Mentor

@fiber2 wrote:

Where can I post a feature request? 🙂

In the "Idea" section: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Idea-Exchange-for-ReadyNAS/idb-p/idea-exchange-for-storage

Message 4 of 5
TeknoJnky
Hero

If you want to have an encrypted backup at the destination, you might have better luck by creating an encrypted image/tar/zip/rar file on your local nas, then backing that up, either via rsync or replicate or whatever backup service.

That would be about the only way for the receiving nas to not have any access to the data.

To restore the data, you would either need to restore the encrypted file, then decrypt on your local nas.

Or if you have direct access to the backup nas, you could decrypt the backup file whenever needed on the destination nas, extracting the files as you need then either accessing them locally (on backup device), or restoring them to your primary.

Either way, there is no simple or built-in way to encrypt the data to be backed up (on either source or destination).

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements