Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

privacy on ReadyCloud

fiber2
Tutor

privacy on ReadyCloud

I already have some Netgear NAS and am looking to buy a number of them to place at different sites.

Can anyone indicate how the privacy is obtained if I use ReadyCloud?

Are my userID and password stored at Netgear servers? This would mean that if Netgear is hacked, the hacker could get access to my account and thus my data.

If I would forget my password, would Netgear be able to reset it and send me a new one?

Message 1 of 5
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: privacy on ReadyCloud

Hello fiber2,

ReadyCloud is a feature of ReadyNAS devices that allows users to access their ReadyNAS volume when you are away from the network where the ReadyNAS is. Just like how email works, it has a server where user accounts are stored. In case you forgot the password, it does have an option for resetting it by sending a link to the email address that you use for registering.

Regards,

Message 2 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@fiber2 wrote:

Are my userID and password stored at Netgear servers?

Well, the mynetgear.com username is stored.  Notrmal practice is to store a hash of the password.  It could still be attached via brute force if the Netgear servers were compromised, but the password shouldn't be in clear text.

@fiber2 wrote:

Can anyone indicate how the privacy is obtained if I use ReadyCloud?

You are not the first to ask, but I've not seen any real information on this.

Message 3 of 5
fiber2
Tutor

@JennC

Thanks,

So does the use of a ReadyNCloud give the same level of protection as a user account?

In other words, is the password encrypted before it leaves my computer or is it encrypted upon arrival at Netgear's ReadyCloud servers?

I am looking for zero knowledge and client side encryption.

@StephenB

The whole point of having a NAS in stead of an online account is safety. If Netgear can't explain why their NAS is safer, why go through the trouble of installing multiple NAS, setting up replication, installing UPS devices, setting up RAID, maintaining the buch of NAS devices etc. Not only does it take time, it is not unlikely it even costs more.

So, it doesn't surprise me more people asked. 🙂

Message 4 of 5
StephenB
Guru

@fiber2 wrote:

So, it doesn't surprise me more people asked. 🙂

Actually surprisingly few have asked.  I've asked a couple times, and haven't gotten an response that was comprehensive enough for me.  

But I also found that the performance was spotty, so I've moved on to running crashplan on my NAS for backup, and using openVPN to access it remotely.  To be fair, I made that switch some years ago -so I don't have any recent direct experience with ReadyCloud.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements