Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

purchased used RN102 - a new account on ReadyCLOUD for new owner is possible?

RobinKrus
Tutor

purchased used RN102 - a new account on ReadyCLOUD for new owner is possible?

Hello.
This is my first post.
I have an account on the portal MyNetgear and registered AirCard.
Now I bought from a private individual use ReadyNAS RN102.
I can not (add device) register ReadyNAS RN102 my account on the portal MyNetgear - RN102 has already been registered.
I do not know what the current FW ReadyNAS RN102.
I will re-install the ReadyNAS RN102 with new disks.
I have a few questions:
1. Can I create a new account on readycloud (new email and password) during installation?
2. Do I need to know and use to install the old account and then if I could change the name, ie. Email address and password (can I get your email address and password from the seller, but if it makes sense, because I want to work for a new account with a new email address and password)?
3. Do I have to reset the ReadyNAS RN102 to factory settings button on the rear panel to the FW: V6.0.4?

What is the BEST MODE the installation of the RN102 at my house.

Regards
RK

Model: RN10200|ReadyNAS 100 Series 2- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: purchased used RN102 - a new account on ReadyCLOUD for new owner is possible?

Whilst the NAS can't be registered to you for support you can still use it with ReadyCLOUD.

You do not need to know the old owner's details.

The sticker on the rear of the unit shows the firmware that the unit shipped with originally. It's likely that the unit is not still running such old firmware. The factory reset would use the firmware currently on the flash.

If the unit is not yet running 6.4.0 (or later) please see the instructions in this article: ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum

View solution in original post

Message 3 of 13

All Replies
FramerV
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: purchased RN102 - a new account on readyclound for new owner possible?

Hi RobinKrus,

Welcome to the community.

I would suggest that you do the offline mode of installation.

How do I discover and set-up my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system?

Then after install, add it to the ReadyCloud:

Create ReadyCloud account

How do I add my ReadyNAS OS 6 storage system to my ReadyCLOUD Account?

Since its a fresh install, factory resetting it would be best. Then upgrade the firmware to the latest.

ReadyNAS OS 6: Updating Firmware

Firmware download

Regards,

Message 2 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: purchased used RN102 - a new account on ReadyCLOUD for new owner is possible?

Whilst the NAS can't be registered to you for support you can still use it with ReadyCLOUD.

You do not need to know the old owner's details.

The sticker on the rear of the unit shows the firmware that the unit shipped with originally. It's likely that the unit is not still running such old firmware. The factory reset would use the firmware currently on the flash.

If the unit is not yet running 6.4.0 (or later) please see the instructions in this article: ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum

Message 3 of 13
RobinKrus
Tutor

Sorry for elementary questions, but this is my first installation of NAS devices.
With posts that the best solution to create a new administrator account on Readycloud and link it to my account MyNetger is pressing factory reset (I understand that the FW version after reset may be higher than 6.0.4).
Is it well understood?
When I press the reset factory?
Once plugged in and before inserting the disc into RN102, or when you insert a disk into RN102?
Above (which) do offline?
Communication between the computer and the RN102 would be the ethernet cable?
Next:
a) install RN102 offline, then join Readycloud, or
b) install RN102 online.

After completing the above steps at the end of the upgrade FW perform better offline or via the internet?

Regards

Message 4 of 13
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would put the disks in and do a factory reset (wipes all data, settings, everything), login locally and update to the latest firmware following the recommended upgrade path (following ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100/RN2120 cannot update due to invalid checksum if the system is running older firmware than 6.4.0), verify the firmware update was successful and then do another factory reset and set it up using ReadyCLOUD if you wish to use that.

Message 5 of 13
RobinKrus
Tutor

Summarizing.

I put the disk (I have a new drive, even without data) for RN102.
I plug in the power.
I'm doing factory reset.

I am loading a computer RAIDar.
RN102 I connect ethernet cable to the computer (I hope it is a local login, and I saw RN102 in the Mac Finder).
Check the version of FW (Please help how exactly).
If it is lower than 6.4.0 I install it using the appropriate files to a higher version than 6.4.0 - follow the link - ReadyNAS OS 6: RN100 / RN2120 can not update due to invalid checksum).
I check even if the update was successful.
I do again reset factory.
RN102 I connect to the Internet (detachable ethernet cable from computer and attaches to the router).
I do configuration using ReadyCLOUD (creating an administrator account).

Do I understand?

Message 6 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@RobinKrus wrote:

I connect ethernet cable to the computer (I hope it is a local login, and I saw RN102 in the Mac Finder)

You can directly connect the NAS to the router. There's no need to start by connecting it to the PC.

@RobinKrus wrote:

Check the version of FW (Please help how exactly).

Log in via https://nas-ip-address/admin using the actual IP address of the NAS.  There will be a user/password prompt, use admin/password. Change the admin password later on in the set up.

I don't recall if the setup wizard checks for an update or not.  If the setup wizard completes w/o that, you'll still see the current firmware on the system->overview web page.

RAIDar will also show you the firmware version.

Message 7 of 13
RobinKrus
Tutor

@StephenB wrote:

You can directly connect the NAS to the router. There's no need to start by connecting it to the PC.

Please read my first posts.
If I connect
RN102 to router I'll be online and can be a problem with the registration as an administrator by ReadyCLOUD (RN102 has already been used and the previous owner founded on the NAS administrator account).

Regards

Message 8 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Please read my first posts.
If I connect
RN102 to router I'll be online and can be a problem with the registration as an administrator by ReadyCLOUD (RN102 has already been used and the previous owner founded on the NAS administrator account).

I did read them.  You've started with a factory reset. That reinstalls everything using factory defaults, and by default the NAS is not connected to ReadyCloud.

Message 9 of 13
RobinKrus
Tutor

I received a reply that the best way to solve my problem is to make a factory reset and installation of offline and I chose this path.
This implies that I can not connect the NAS to a router because it'll be online (unless I'm wrong).

If there is another effective way I can log in as an administrator on the RN102 and create a new account on ReadyCLOUD I'm open to suggestions.

Message 10 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@RobinKrus wrote:

I received a reply that the best way to solve my problem is to make a factory reset and installation of offline and I chose this path.

Again, if you are doing the factory reset via the front panel, the NAS will not be on ReadyCloud until you enable it.  So there is no reason to worry about connecting directly to the router.

If you want to be very cautious you can disconnect your router's internet port until you are sure the reset is completed.  

Directly connecting the ethernet to the Mac will work, but you will need to set up a static IP address on the Mac temporarily (and that static address will need to be in the same address range of the one used by the ReadyNAS).  FWIW I don't think FramerV was actually recommending the direct connection - I think you misunderstood what he meant by "offline".

Message 11 of 13
RobinKrus
Tutor

I need more time to analyze everything.

But the factory reset done probably by pressing the reset button on the rear panel, not by pressing the backup button on the front panel?

Regards

Message 12 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@RobinKrus wrote:

But the factory reset done probably by pressing the reset button on the rear panel, not by pressing the backup button on the front panel?

The procedure is awkward, and uses both the reset and the backup buttons.  See pages 19-20 of the hardware manual: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements