× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.9.3-T223 - find busiest group+a3 - hard lock ups

TeknoJnky
Hero

6.9.3-T223 - find busiest group+a3 - hard lock ups

Hello, I have had 2 apparent lock ups on my 528x since beta 2 install, which have caused a resync to initiate.

I think I also had one such event on beta 1, but now I cannot remember. If I did it not cause a resync.

The message on the last lockup shown on the front display was find_busiest_group+a3

the previous lock up, was during a reboot due to some kind of runaway process (possibly the same as above) that was blocking other processes. I had an ssh going at the time and htop indicated a way above normal over 25 in load averages.

after I attempted to reboot from web admin, I lost all access until rebooted. Unfortunately I did not look at or make note of if the display had an error message.

I had to hard power off, then power on in both cases.

I have sent logs taken just after reboot from both lockups and sent to the emails.

Hopefully this is something that can be identified, and isn't something specific to my system.

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage 8-Bay
Message 1 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: 6.9.3-T223 - find busiest group+a3 - hard lock ups

started having uncorrectable errors on disk 1 while sending logs.

removed disk 1 and ordered replacment

load average is still high even after removing the failing disk, currently 21 / 20 / 17

Message 2 of 8
rybackisback
Aspirant

Hello, after having updated 6.9.3 Beta 1, I observed sluggish performance of web interface and also the mapped network folders on Windows 10. Shortly afterwards I lost access to web admin page and my mapped network forlders. I also noticed after multiple attempts to sign in that ReadyCloud was not working. I then attempted to access the NAS via the touch interface in front of the unit and noticed the display had also failed. I then had to do a hard power shutdown.

I then re-started the NAS and the re-sync had initiated becasue of the hard shut down. I then downgraded the firmware to 6.9.2

ReadyNAS RN516

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 3 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

You could have a disk about to fail.

My disk 1 failed as noted above, but before any errors showed up in the log or smart details, I had some strange behavior/lockups.

I am running raid6/dual redundancy, so I am running in degraded/single redundancy currently until replacement disk arrives.

I have a 3rd lockup on t223 earlier tonight, the nas was doing a scrub (while missing a disk and degraded) and serving plex videos and working fine, when it just died and lost all acess/network etc.

My replacement disk is supposed to arrive sunday, so I will wait to get that installed and resynced before trying to another scrub.

I started a disk test via the volume screen, but there doesn't seem to be any feedback or info on what or how the disk works.

Message 4 of 8
rybackisback
Aspirant

My smart details and logs look clean. No impending disk failure. My disks are not that old. Everything working well on 6.9.2 as it was before I tried to upgrade to 6.9.3 Beta 1.

Message 5 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

wrote:

My smart details and logs look clean. No impending disk failure. My disks are not that old. Everything working well on 6.9.2 as it was before I tried to upgrade to 6.9.3 Beta 1.

Understood, I was just trying to say, that smart details and logs are not necessarily the first indication of impending disk failure. A disk could be starting to fail, causing strange issues with no other warning, until either drive itself starts reporting errors and/or the system notices the drives errors.

Hopefully you remain stable on 6.9.2, but if not, then there could be something else at issue besides 6.9.3.

Message 6 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you updated to the production 6.9.3 release? If so, how is that running for you so far?

Message 7 of 8
TeknoJnky
Hero

RC3 seemed to be perfectly stable.

I just updated to 6.9.3 release, will see how it goes.

thanks for checking.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements