× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

[Beta 1] TiVo Server “fast transport” option for newer TiVo Device compatibility

TeknoJnky
Hero

[Beta 1] TiVo Server “fast transport” option for newer TiVo Device compatibility

Is there any additional info on what the 'fast transport' does, when we would want to enable it (or not want to) ?

I have a tivo roamio, I don't use the archiving very often, but I haven't noticed any issue with it either.

I know, if it aint broke, (break it!) I mean don't mess with it.. but you know, more info >> less info.

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage 8-Bay
Message 1 of 2

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: [Beta 1] TiVo Server “fast transport” option for newer TiVo Device compatibility

It's analogous to the Fast Transfer Speed option of the old TiVo Desktop software.  You can read more about it from TiVo's support site.

Basically we request recordings in Transport Stream (TS) format instead of Program Stream (PS) format.  TS is incompatible with TiVo HD and earlier models, so if you want to pull recordings from your Roamio and play them back on a HD, you'll need to keep this option disabled.

Also, recent-model TiVos seem to have trouble remuxing some recordings to PS format.  So occasionally you may find a recording that failed to archive properly, resulting a very small file that won't play back on the TiVo.  Enabling fast transport resolves those issues, in addition to giving you much faster transfer speeds due to the reduced remuxing overhead on the TiVo device side.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 2

All Replies
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: [Beta 1] TiVo Server “fast transport” option for newer TiVo Device compatibility

It's analogous to the Fast Transfer Speed option of the old TiVo Desktop software.  You can read more about it from TiVo's support site.

Basically we request recordings in Transport Stream (TS) format instead of Program Stream (PS) format.  TS is incompatible with TiVo HD and earlier models, so if you want to pull recordings from your Roamio and play them back on a HD, you'll need to keep this option disabled.

Also, recent-model TiVos seem to have trouble remuxing some recordings to PS format.  So occasionally you may find a recording that failed to archive properly, resulting a very small file that won't play back on the TiVo.  Enabling fast transport resolves those issues, in addition to giving you much faster transfer speeds due to the reduced remuxing overhead on the TiVo device side.

Message 2 of 2
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 1 reply
  • 1 kudo
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements