× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Corrupt Boot - "Err: Could not mount root RAID d"

Johnhyzhang
Aspirant

Corrupt Boot - "Err: Could not mount root RAID d"

Hello,

My storage equipment NETGEAR Model No. RND4A Model name: ENDU40000

The machines has 3 discks – the first two have each 2GB and the third one 1.5GB – which is not used 2GB disk: SEGATE)

I already used the system for about 3 years with all my data on the disk.

Problem statement

Yesterdayn, I updated the last Firmware through Raidar – admin page.

Afterwards, the machine takes a very long time for booting and finally failed to boot.

According to the following instruction (http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/24874/~/how-do-i-access-the-boot-menu-on-my-readynas-d...), I made a OS reinstall.

The machine likely updated again the FW software, checked the disk and the file system and booted.

One of the disks (channel 1) has an ATA error and disappeared from the Raidar.

It seems all volume/passwords were lost.

I restarted the machine • It takes one night to reboot (also with check filesystem) – but failed again.

On thescreen of the ReadyNas, it shows "Err: Could not mount root RAID d"

On the Taidar screeen, it indicates "Corrupt Boot"

Could you plase help me? All my data is on the disck 😞

Thanks in advance

John

Message 1 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Re: Corrupt Boot - "Err: Could not mount root RAID d"

That model number is probably RND4000?  Can you read this and tell us what model you have:

http://www.rnasguide.com/2012/01/09/how-to-tell-whether-i-have-a-duo-v1-or-duo-v2-or-nv-v1-or-nv-v2/

Do you know what firmware was on, and which you were upgrading to?

Was it an Xraid volume?  

I take it there is no backup.

It it sounds like you might have a full OS partition.  As you have no backup the way to sort this out would be for Netger support to remotely access your nas and clean up the OS partition.

If you had a backup ( which you should) then a factory default is another option - don't do this as the disks will be wiped) 

By doing a firmware upgrade and OS reinstall you have probably created other problems, so fixing this locally by ssh is almost certainly not an option.

Netgear will charge you for a support event.  There is a possibility that someone from the forums could help you, so I would suggest you wait a while.  Don't do anything else to the nas or you will make the problem worse.

Message 2 of 9
Johnhyzhang
Aspirant

Many thanks for your prompt reply.

I suppose the updated FW was raidiator-x86 version 4.2.27

I did not do FW update for years, I don't remember the last version on my sustem.

I do not have a back-up out of the Readynas. I suppose there is copy in the system of the sotrage?

After several tentaives, now the boot started. In Raidar, I see disk one is "health". I can  browser it and see all my folders, but I can not access to them. When I want to connect to them through windows explore, it aks the use namer and password, but I can no longer use the old ones.

The Admin pagfe is empty - I can login, but see nothing.The second disk is showed as "died" in Raidar with a red X on it.

I am not an expert for the Ready system - and I am worry about my data on the disk.

Do you have a solution for this?

Please give me the instruction to remotly connect to my computer and payment to Readynas for this extra service is ok.

Many thanks

John

Message 3 of 9
Johnhyzhang
Aspirant

Hello,

I just checked the model of my system:

Netgear ReadyNAS NV + v2 with four bays, X-RAID2

Thanks

John

Message 4 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello Johnhyzhang,

I checked your profile and found that you have opened a ticket with the support center.

Your case is possible for L3 escalation. However, support contract is needed as the support warranty of your unit already expired.

As far as I can see, there is still hope retrieving your data. Please also try to access the admin page using a different web browser, in case you are able to, see permissions settings of the shares. See this article here for you to have idea how this is done.

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello again Johnhyzhang,

The case you have opened with the support center is for ReadyNASRNDU4000, please make sure of the model number.

Regards,

Message 6 of 9
vandermerwe
Master

Yes it sounds like your OS partition is full, although there may also be some other issues related to your attempt to upgrade the firmware and the OS reinstall. 

My suggestion to wait for a response from someone on the forum still stands.  There may be someone who can help you directly.  I would expect if you do get an offer that this happens usually quite quickly (1-2 days) 

Edit: Reading through your second post again it seems that there are indeed some additional issues, so follow through with the support request that you have already made.

Message 7 of 9
Johnhyzhang
Aspirant

many thanks:)

Message 8 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suggest that you contact support.

Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements