× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Factory default without losing data

Iridahonda
Aspirant

Factory default without losing data

Please can someone advise how to mount the data in read only mode so I can do a factory rest without losing data.

I installed the new beta and now have some dependancies that I cant fix.

There used to be a procedure here:

http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=196365#p196365

but the link seems to be down?

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 1 of 12

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If there's a problem with the data volume the history of when disks were added etc. can be vital and when you wipe the root volume that information is lost.

I can't see support approving such an option as we'd have customers who use it inappropriately and then get upset when data recovery can't even be attempted in some cases because of that. We understand that you shouldn't store your only copy of important data on one device (no matter which device that is), but there are many customers that don't.

Wiping the 4GB root volume is for extreme situations.

View solution in original post

Message 9 of 12

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

The old ReadyNAS forum has been down for a long time, though you may find that thread archived here.

With OS 6 you can mount the data volume as read-only from the boot menu - check the hardware manual for your ReadyNAS model.  The 516 boot menu is described on page 90-91: http://www.downloads.netgear.com/files/GDC/READYNAS-100/ReadyNAS_%20OS6_Desktop_HM_EN.pdf.

To be clear - you will lose data if you do a factory reset.  Mounting the volume read-only won't change that.

An OS reinstall should not affect your data (should being the key word, though it is pretty safe).  It will reset your network connection to use dhcp and your admin password to password.

Message 2 of 12
Iridahonda
Aspirant

Thanks for this but I have unmet dependancies owing to me installing several custom backports and then installing the Beta update.

I dont think the OS re-install will not fix these so I need to flatten the OS and reload it.  There was a proceedure on here to help,  I seem to remember it involved unmounting my data but I cant seem to find it.  If anyone can post an updated link it may save me doing a full factory default and full data restore I would apprehicate it.

Message 3 of 12
StephenB
Guru

The procedure there predates OS-6, so I'm not sure it will work.

Message 4 of 12
Iridahonda
Aspirant

I am happy to take the risk, give it a go then report back.  I have a full backup to a second Readynas. I just cant find the procedure.

Message 5 of 12
StephenB
Guru

@Iridahonda wrote:

I am happy to take the risk, give it a go then report back.  I have a full backup to a second Readynas. I just cant find the procedure.

I've asked @mdgm-ntgr to chime in (he was on the original thread).  

Message 6 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The reason we don't have such an end user option for this is that users would abuse it and wipe logs that are important for e.g. data recovery problems. The OS, config and logs are all stored on the 4GB root volume.

I've sent you a PM.

Message 7 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

I know this has been discussed repeatedly in the past;

However to re-add my 2 cents, factory defaulting system while KEEPING DATA should be an easy and supported process.

If there are concerns about logs, then the process should include copying all logs to the data volume before defaulting the system.

I can't really see how the logs or absence there of, would be relevant to someone who wants to start with a clean system, without the hassle of days/weeks worth of backup/restore transferring.

Aside from the 'logs' issue, having a supported method for tech support to advise customers who run beta or self-customized the system, to be able to easily start with a known good system state, would seem like a much better option than to tell the customer, please backup all data then factory default and restore your data.

Message 8 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

If there's a problem with the data volume the history of when disks were added etc. can be vital and when you wipe the root volume that information is lost.

I can't see support approving such an option as we'd have customers who use it inappropriately and then get upset when data recovery can't even be attempted in some cases because of that. We understand that you shouldn't store your only copy of important data on one device (no matter which device that is), but there are many customers that don't.

Wiping the 4GB root volume is for extreme situations.

Message 9 of 12
TeknoJnky
Hero

well like i said, a simple solution to the 'log' problem is to automatically copy the logs to the data volume before wiping the system.

or force them to be uploaded to your log email to be archived before allowing the system wipe to proceed.

either way, there are many easy solutions to saving the logs before wiping system.

Message 10 of 12
Iridahonda
Aspirant

I made a Factory Default on Beta 2 but I get Kthread_data_b error.  

Message 11 of 12
Iridahonda
Aspirant

I made a Factory Default on Beta 2 but I get Kthread_data_b error.  

Model: RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements