× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Fan CPU Enclosure Errors on Pro after upgrading to 6.4

spiderman1
Guide

Fan CPU Enclosure Errors on Pro after upgrading to 6.4

I have updated my Pro and Pro 6 to the latest 6.4 release, however, I am getting fan enclosures errors on the Pro although everything seems to be working properly and wondering if CPU fan levels are ok on the Pro 6.

On the Pro, I  have 3 cpu readings of which one results dead. Could these errors have anything to due with the fact that I had moded my Pro and Pro 6 to a Q6600 cpu?

PRO Snapshot

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 14.59.18.png

Pro 6 Snapshot

Screen Shot 2015-10-07 at 15.31.21.png

Many thanks.

Message 1 of 7

Accepted Solutions
spiderman1
Guide

I solved the problem on the PRO by adding the following line to the system.conf file in the sensors.d folder.

ignore_fan2

That did the trick.

Now on to fixing the higher CPU fan value on the PRO6.

Thanks for the time being Skywalker.

"May the force be with you!"

Smiley Wink

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 7

All Replies
Labdoc1
Luminary

I have a similarly modified ReadyNAS Pro Pioneer running the latest OS6 beta. Initially, the fans (case and CPU) were not adjusting speed appropriately for the temperature -- they ran at the same speed no matter the temperature, and the temps were higher than I wanted, although still OK according to Netgear. (See Aug 29 post under title:

:Readynasos 6.4.0-T112 temperature fan speed

Big surprise when I unplugged and replugged the fan to motherboard connectors - everything corrected. So, I suspect corroded contacts. Remember to power down before touching the power plugs!)    

Message 2 of 7
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@spiderman1 wrote:

I have updated my Pro and Pro 6 to the latest 6.4 release, however, I am getting fan enclosures errors on the Pro although everything seems to be working properly and wondering if CPU fan levels are ok on the Pro 6.

On the Pro, I  have 3 cpu readings of which one results dead. Could these errors have anything to due with the fact that I had moded my Pro and Pro 6 to a Q6600 cpu?

Yes, that's what's making the extra temp readings show up.  Also, you may have plugged the CPU fan into a different fan connector than it was originally connected to.

But you can set this up however you want now, by modifying your sensors config.  Look in /etc/sensors.d/ for ideas.

Message 3 of 7
dsm1212
Apprentice

I periodically get a fan 0 speed reading on my pro 6 since updating to os6. It's been benign. If you get a series of them, the software will adapt the minimum fan speed upward. That only happened to me once. It stayed that way until I updated to 6.2.4. I don't know if a reboot resets the min speed again or the upgrade.

steve

Message 4 of 7
spiderman1
Guide

I moved the cpu fan plug in my PRO as it appears in my PRO 6 hardware setup.  This workaround eliminated the CPU error, however, my CPU fan speed is always stuck at 4218 rpm. See photo below. Is there anyway to fix this? If I should swap back the cpu plug, how then, should I fix this in the sensors config file?

Many thanks.

Screen Shot 2015-10-08 at 20.24.06.png

Message 5 of 7
spiderman1
Guide

I solved the problem on the PRO by adding the following line to the system.conf file in the sensors.d folder.

ignore_fan2

That did the trick.

Now on to fixing the higher CPU fan value on the PRO6.

Thanks for the time being Skywalker.

"May the force be with you!"

Smiley Wink

Message 6 of 7
walshlink
Luminary

I am still wondering what changed on 6.4.1 to cause the fans not work properly on the RDP 6...
Message 7 of 7
Discussion stats
  • 6 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements