× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Freenas on Readynas Pro

mangrove
Apprentice

Re: Freenas (ZFS) on Readynas Pro

Omaha2002, you run mirror + stripes + SSD, I run parity (RAID5) with no SSD cache and this will have some impact, I guess.

Walshlink, the RAID reconfiguration you describe is native to BTRFS-RAID. But Netgear don't use that at all, they use BTRFS on top of MDRAID/LVM volumes.
Also, ZFS' block-level deduplication is probably sufficient for most users, even if the case you describe isn't the best case for ZFS. 🙂
Message 26 of 51
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

ReadyNAS OS 6 doesn't use LVM
Message 27 of 51
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Omaha2002 wrote:

Does someone know if the 128MB USB standard bootdisk for the ReadyNAS (behind the frontpanel) is replacable with another USB disk? This way it would be possible for anyone without VGA breakout cable to install FreeNAS.

The way for users without VGA to install it would be using chainloading.
Message 28 of 51
mangrove
Apprentice

mdgm wrote:
ReadyNAS OS 6 doesn't use LVM

Then what is now the difference between X-Raid and Flexraid?
Message 29 of 51
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

BTRFS is on top of MD in OS6.

X-RAID2 is a single volume with automatic expansion. Flex-RAID allows for the creation of multiple volumes but expansion of volumes is more limited.
Message 30 of 51
mangrove
Apprentice

Did LVM disappear between X-RAID and X-RAID2, or have they changed the underlying technology but kept the marketing name?
Message 31 of 51
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

X-RAID2 on 4.2.x and 5.x still uses LVM.

With BTRFS there is no need for LVM so it is not used in OS6. MD RAID devices are still used though.
Message 32 of 51
walshlink
Luminary

Omaha2002, so what do you think? Are you going with FreeNAS or OS6?
Message 33 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

Well, right now I have one ReadyNAS Pro on FreeNAS and the other one on OS6. For VM's FreeNAS with the SSD as L2ARC is really fast, on OS6 with 6 VM's everything would come to a grinding halt with some load. Right now on the FreeNAS I'm running 8 VM's with no lag at all.

No quite sure if I convert the other one to FreeNAS too, it's got 6 x 4TB and will be using it for a lot of data storage only. It might be a good idea to keep an eye on OS6 too and this way I can test them both..

But on the other hand I might throw FreeNAS at it in the end too, I really like the interface and possibilities and NFS does feel a bit more mature.
Message 34 of 51
walshlink
Luminary

Re: Freenas on Readynas Pro

Omaha2002 wrote:
Copied 1.5TB in the past couple of hours and everything seems stable, no watchdog timeout messages, right now I only have two tunables added in the webgui under System -> Tunables:

vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable = 0
hw.msk.msi_disable = 1

The first one is to enable prefetch because FreeBSD systems with less then 4GB turns it off automatically.

Seems to have fixed the Marvell Yukon networkcards issues.

Performance is still impressive with higher writespeeds then OS6, so far ZFS seems and feels more mature than Btrfs.

Omaha2002,

When I tried adding "vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable = 0" the webgui locked up. Did you see this at all?
Message 35 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

Yes, but hold on thight, after about one minute it'll continue..
Message 36 of 51
walshlink
Luminary

Omaha2002,

Did you set
vfs.zfs.prefetch_disable
to 0 instead of 1 because although you have 4GB of RAM, it is not really 4GB of RAM available as on-board video and AHCI BIOS take up some of that memory?.

http://koitsu.wordpress.com/2009/10/12/ ... d-8-0-rc1/

https://wiki.freebsd.org/ZFSTuningGuide
Message 37 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

I set it 0, so I enabled ZFS prefetch although I have a bit less then 4GB memory installed. For the environment in which I use the FreeNAS I thought enabling it would not be a problem. In the graphs overview I can see that FreeNAS uses up all memory up to the almost 4gb, performance is good. I haven't test performance with disabled prefetch, if it makes any difference. Can do that this weekend.

I've read the article's, it's about FreeBSD 8.0 instead of 9.2 but I can imagine that the parameter is acting the same.. let me know if you find out if setting the parameter to enabled or disabled makes any difference.

Did the parameter set eventually through the FreeNAS webinterface?
Message 38 of 51
walshlink
Luminary

Yeah, I got it set. I think I'll keep "ZFS prefetch disable" set to 0 as the system doesn't truly have 4GB of RAM to use. I'll change it later if I get 8GB of RAM installed. Performance is ok...I'm using encrypted RAIDZ2 on 4x2TB drives and can get around 37.5 MB/sec writes and 59.6 MB/sec reads to/from a SMB share.
Message 39 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

I think setting ZFS prefetch disable to 0 is actually enabling it, you can see in reports how much wired ram is being used, probably almost up to 4GB. 37.5MB/sec write and 59.6MB/sec read is not really fast, have you tried 2 x 2TB mirrored/striped? FreeNAS probabely finds that the optimal configuration for your disks. I get 100/100 MB/sec read and write copying from my PC to the NAS and around 70/80MB/sec copying from my ReadyNAS to the FReeNAS.

Yesterday I installed the 8 GB Patriot memory, within an hour it was all used as wired memory, running 8 VM's..

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Arcstat gives some information about the usage of ARC and l2ARC and commands to run on the FreeNAS.
Message 40 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

Just to give an overview of the use of ARC and L2ARC this is my ouput of:

[root@freenas] ~# arc_summary.py | more

------------------------------------------------------------------------

ARC Total accesses: 803.11k
Cache Hit Ratio: 80.54% 646.82k
Cache Miss Ratio: 19.46% 156.29k
Actual Hit Ratio: 77.14% 619.50k

Data Demand Efficiency: 92.42% 400.25k
Data Prefetch Efficiency: 10.12% 116.75k

CACHE HITS BY CACHE LIST:
Anonymously Used: 3.12% 20.20k
Most Recently Used: 48.73% 315.23k
Most Frequently Used: 47.04% 304.27k
Most Recently Used Ghost: 0.46% 2.95k
Most Frequently Used Ghost: 0.65% 4.17k

CACHE HITS BY DATA TYPE:
Demand Data: 57.19% 369.92k
Prefetch Data: 1.83% 11.82k
Demand Metadata: 38.53% 249.21k
Prefetch Metadata: 2.45% 15.86k

CACHE MISSES BY DATA TYPE:
Demand Data: 19.40% 30.32k
Prefetch Data: 67.14% 104.93k
Demand Metadata: 11.41% 17.83k
Prefetch Metadata: 2.05% 3.21k
Page: 3

L2 ARC Summary: (HEALTHY)
Passed Headroom: 2.35m
Tried Lock Failures: 4.37k
IO In Progress: 0
Low Memory Aborts: 1
Free on Write: 1
Writes While Full: 902
R/W Clashes: 0
Bad Checksums: 0
IO Errors: 0
SPA Mismatch: 0

L2 ARC Size: (Adaptive) 11.02 GiB
Header Size: 0.09% 9.65 MiB

L2 ARC Evicts:
Lock Retries: 0
Upon Reading: 0

L2 ARC Breakdown: 156.13k
Hit Ratio: 3.00% 4.69k
Miss Ratio: 97.00% 151.44k
Feeds: 77.83k

L2 ARC Buffer:
Bytes Scanned: 49.11 TiB
Buffer Iterations: 77.83k
List Iterations: 4.96m
NULL List Iterations: 106.74k

L2 ARC Writes:
Writes Sent: 100.00% 8.84k
Page: 4
Message 41 of 51
walshlink
Luminary

Omaha2002 wrote:
I think setting ZFS prefetch disable to 0 is actually enabling it, you can see in reports how much wired ram is being used, probably almost up to 4GB. 37.5MB/sec write and 59.6MB/sec read is not really fast, have you tried 2 x 2TB mirrored/striped? FreeNAS probabely finds that the optimal configuration for your disks. I get 100/100 MB/sec read and write copying from my PC to the NAS and around 70/80MB/sec copying from my ReadyNAS to the FReeNAS.

Yesterday I installed the 8 GB Patriot memory, within an hour it was all used as wired memory, running 8 VM's..

http://doc.freenas.org/index.php/Arcstat gives some information about the usage of ARC and l2ARC and commands to run on the FreeNAS.

http://forums.freenas.org/threads/ssds- ... post-90640

I would review this http://forums.freenas.org/threads/bad-s ... 9-1.17272/

I have read you should utilize a L2ARC until you have 32GB of RAM in your NAS...

As for running a mirror/stripe over RAIDZ2...RAIDZ2 has more redundancy...for me, data protection is more important than speed.
Message 42 of 51
mangrove
Apprentice

The speed looks plausible to me, given my own results with single parity... however, I am still surprised that it's actually so slow.
Message 43 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

Hmm tested this evening again and still 100mB/sec write and 104mB/sec read from Local Windows 8 PC to Freenas cifs share.

Read the articles but must say the guy responding to all questions is pretty blunt and not very openminded... I found more informative articles with better tips...
Message 44 of 51
walshlink
Luminary

Omaha2002,

Any more thoughts about ZFS on your RNP? I have been running FreeNAS for the past several weeks and am wondering if I should move back to BtrFS.
Message 45 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

I've been running it now for 3 weeks too, 9.2.1 FREENAS right now and I'm very happy with it. Performancewise regarding iops I think it performs better than OS6. Running arc_summary show 78% hitrate on L2Arc using 65 gb on the SSD. It's stable and the community reacts very quick to bugs, solving them within days.

On the other readynas I run OS6 and it's also very stable, will update to 6.1.6 next week because I see a lot of improvements made it to that version.

If I HAD to choose I would go with FREENAS, right now I'm happy running both.. 😉

Someone should point out how to chainload FREENAS so more people could try it without needing the vga breakout cable.
Message 46 of 51
Omaha2002
Tutor

Small update: running FreeNAS for 6 months now and at version 9.2.1.7, really impressed with the stability and performance of FreeNAS.

BTW OS6 on my other ReadyNAS PRO performs pretty well too, haven't changed it to FreeNAS yet.
Message 47 of 51
depasseg
Aspirant

Re: Freenas on Readynas Pro works perfect

mdgm wrote:
With the 516 it does depend on what BIOS your unit shipped with. If your BIOS is too old then you shouldn't attempt it.

How old is too old? What's the issue and does it also affect the RN Pro 6?
Message 48 of 51
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

What BIOS version is on your 516?

For the Pro 6 there is a BIOS update add-on available. Which you should install if not already running the latest BIOS for that.
Message 49 of 51
depasseg
Aspirant

I'm running:
bios_version=4.6.5
board_asset_tag=To be filled by O.E.M.
board_name=ReadyNAS 516
board_serial=To be filled by O.E.M.
board_vendor=NETGEAR
board_version=To be filled by O.E.M.
chassis_asset_tag=To Be Filled By O.E.M.
chassis_serial=To Be Filled By O.E.M.
chassis_type=3
chassis_vendor=NETGEAR
chassis_version=To Be Filled By O.E.M.
modalias=dmi:bvnAmericanMegatrendsInc.:bvr4.6.5:bd06/06/2013:svnNETGEAR:pnReadyNAS516:pvr06/06/2013ReadyNAS-516V1.0:rvnNETGEAR:rnReadyNAS516:rvrTobefilledbyO.E.M.:cvnNETGEAR:ct3:cvrToBeFilledByO.E.M.:
product_name=ReadyNAS 516
product_serial=123-8675309
product_sku=RN516
product_uuid=00F1892C-D21D-B211-8000-4494FC6E0B00
product_version=06/06/2013 ReadyNAS-516 V1.0
Message 50 of 51
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 50 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements