× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Have individual share data content size disappeared in 6.7 Beta?

bedlam1
Prodigy

Have individual share data content size disappeared in 6.7 Beta?

It seems in 6.7.0-T158 Beta that the GUI Shares/Shares screen no longer lists the data content size for each share ?

Is this correct/Intentional and if so why ???

Model: ReadyNASRNDP4000|ReadyNAS Pro 4 Chassis only
Message 1 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you have quotas disabled for the volume? This feature relies on having quotas enabled for the volume (you don't have to set a quota for your shares).

Message 2 of 14
bedlam1
Prodigy

The "sizes" were present until I installed the beta, I don't allocate quotas as it is a home server for me only, how do I (re)enable quotas?

Message 3 of 14
bedlam1
Prodigy

OK I figured it out and Quota's were already enabled, so the the problem of missing share sizes remains

Message 4 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just checked and I also see that this is no longer shown. Looks like an intentional change.

Message 5 of 14
bedlam1
Prodigy

@mdgm-ntgrThanks, I have to say this is a backward step as UI found that feature useful, I would also find it extended to include individual folders within a share helpful too

Message 6 of 14
hmuessig
Luminary

I'd add my voice to others. This is a step backwards, not good! I use the sizes to plan and update backkup strategies and more generally to make sure there are no applications that are created lots of extranious files.

Tx!

Message 7 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Hopefully, an unintentional change.  I applauded this addition when it came along and asked in the Idea Exchange that it be extended to include home folders.  If it has been intentionally deleted, it is, indead, a step backwards.

Message 8 of 14
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It's a known issue, and will be fixed in 6.7.0 next beta. It is supposed to work like this: if volume quota enabled, the share available & consumed capacity would be still shown there. But if volume quota disabled, the two columns would be hidden.

Message 9 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

Why would you ever hide them?  Makes no sense.  As another user pointed out, there are many reasons to need to know how much space a share takes up, even if there is no quota.  I have never had quotas in place for any shares, and the size information appeared as of 6.4.2 or somewhere thereabouts.  I applauded you for adding it.  Please reconsider changing it.

Message 10 of 14
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Actually in f/w <6.7.0, volume quota enabled by default. So even you hadn't enable quota on a specific share, you could still see the available & consumed capacity of the share.

Message 11 of 14
Leia
NETGEAR Employee Retired

And in 6.7.0, volume quota is still enabled by default for our all desktop boxes: RN1xx/2xx/3xx/5xx/6xx/7xx. The ON/OFF option is on the Volumes Settings page.

Message 12 of 14
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Sandshark wrote:

Why would you ever hide them?

If quotas are disabled for the volume then we can't use quotas to find out how much space is consumed by a share. So it would be better to show nothing than to show incorrect information.

A GUI option to enable/disable quotas for a volume has been added in 6.7.0. Before 6.7.0 you had to use SSH to disable quotas at the volume level if you wished to do so.

Message 13 of 14
Sandshark
Sensei

OK, so there is a big difference between disabling them at a volume level and at share level.  Since there was previously no way to do anything at volume level, I mis-took you to mean that they were invisible if quotas were disabled at share level.

So, it is just a beta error and will be back to normal before release.  Great!  Any chance of showing amount consumed by home shares?

Message 14 of 14
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 13 replies
  • 2 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements