× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Issues with OS 6.4.0 beta

vito86b
Aspirant

Issues with OS 6.4.0 beta

Hi,

I have a problem with the new beta 6.4.0 

The Device ist a RN104.

When the device wants to shutdown in Sleep-Mode it hangs up.

Mail With Logfile is send to the email address mentioned at http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/21543/~/how-do-i-send-all-logs-to-a-readynas-forum-mod....

Regards

Vitus

Message 1 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Did you see this issue before updating to 6.4.0 or only after updating 6.4.0?

Message 2 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi

I have just had this issue as well.

Upgraded to 6.4.0 T112 on RN104. Auto-shutdown set at 2am

This evening looked at front LCD display (as NAS not showing in explorer) 'Shutting Down Goodbye'

Had to pull power cable

Logs emailed

Note it has been on 6.4.0 for a few days and this is the first time it's happened.

I never used any of the 6.3.x betas but it never happened before (had the NAS just under a year) on the 6.2.x firmwares.

Thanks

A

Message 3 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

Hi,

with 6.2.5 there was no shutdown issue, only with 6.4.0 

Regards

Vitus

Message 4 of 60
bypo
Aspirant

Just tried to update Readynas Pro 6 with 6.4.0 beta.

It's not booting up anymore. Resolved booting from a 6.2.4 Disk and updating back the firmware.

I'm missing something?

Message 5 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

powellandy1 and vito86b, we need more info to be able to reproduce this.

bypo your problem sounds different and would be best in a different thread.

Message 6 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

what kind of information do you need??

the Log-File is already send to you.

My System is an RN104 and the OS is the beta 6.4.0 beta 2

In FW 6.2.5 I had a time controlled shutdown for the night and after "upgrading" to FW 6.4.0 beta 2 the device hangs up when it shuts down 🙂

Message 7 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well to start to help isolate the cause can you disable disk spin-down and see if the time controlled shut down then works?

If it does then that is one step towards isolating what the problem is.

Message 8 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

Hi so a normal shutdown with Spin-Down active does not work, after deactivating the spin-down the device shutdown!

I hope it helps you to isolate the problem

Message 9 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Happy to try and help. Like vito86b, I have already emailed my zipped logs in - do I need to send them again??

I will disable spin-down, which I do have enabled - but my NAS is set to auto-shutdown at 2am and I haven't been to bed that late since I upgraded to 6.4.0 so I'm pretty sure the discs would all be spun down at the time of shutdown every night - and this only happened the once, all other nights it's been completely fine.

Anything else I can do to help clarify??
A

Message 10 of 60
StephenB
Guru

@powellandy1 wrote:

I will disable spin-down, which I do have enabled - but my NAS is set to auto-shutdown at 2am and I haven't been to bed that late since I upgraded to 6.4.0 so I'm pretty sure the discs would all be spun down at the time of shutdown every night - and this only happened the once, all other nights it's been completely fine.

There are things that happen automatically (checking for updates for firmware and antivirus,  SMART tests on the disks, snapshot creation/pruning).  So they might not be always spun down.

Spindown might not be related at all btw, I think disabling it is just a probe to get more information.  If you want to do more, you could put more shutdowns/powerups into your schedule, just to see what happens.

Message 11 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Good thought!!

I use it during the day but i've set it to be off at 2, then on 3-4, on 5-6, on 7-8 and back on 9-2am.

Let's see what happens!

A

Message 12 of 60
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Actually, I think we have a handle on the issue.  Wait for the next beta (likely today or tomorrow) and try it again after updating.

Message 13 of 60
CLHatch
Luminary

I actually had issues at first with 6.40 Beta 2.  My third party apps kept shutting down randomly.  Noticed this most with SABnzbd, SickRage, and Plex Media Server.  A factory reset along with reinstalling all said apps seems to have fixed it, though.

Out of curiousity, do you think this might be because of the major upgrade (possibly the kernel change), or do you think it likely I'll have to do a factory reset when Beta 3 comes out as well?

Edit:

Sorry, forgot to mention, this was on the ReadyNAS 316.

Message 14 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well without logs it would be impossible to diagnose.

It could be that installing the apps over the top of themselves may have resolved the issue or that something else was going on, but without logs downloaded before the factory reset we can only speculate.

A factory reset is a last resort and shouldn't be necessary. Having said that the factory reset you've done has given you a clean setup on 6.4.0 Beta 2 with the new kernel.

Message 15 of 60
CLHatch
Luminary

@mdgm wrote:

Well without logs it would be impossible to diagnose.

It could be that installing the apps over the top of themselves may have resolved the issue or that something else was going on, but without logs downloaded before the factory reset we can only speculate.

A factory reset is a last resort and shouldn't be necessary.

Actually, I had issues installing some apps before the factory reset also, had one that couldn't complete an update or uninstall.  Figured a "clean install" was best to resolve all issues.  Could well be that there was "something else" going on.

Message 16 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

Hi,

thanks for the new version I'm already testing the new version if there is any further issue i will tell you 🙂

Regards

Vitus

Message 17 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Same problem still. New logs sent.

A

Message 18 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

yep problem is not fixed sry. The log is send to your adress.

Regards

Vitus

Message 19 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Any update??
A

Message 20 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Happened again. New logs sent.

A

Message 21 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Still happening with beta 4. Grateful for some feedback. New logs sent.

A

Message 22 of 60
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This isn't reproducible as yet.

If you can backup your data, do a factory default (wipes all data, settings, everything) and provide detailed steps to reproduce that would be appreciated. Or if not, if you could power down, remove your disks (label order) and use some other disks to provide detailed steps to reproduce.

Message 23 of 60
powellandy1
Virtuoso

Hi

Unfortunately its a 4x4TB array and its nearly full and I don't have 12TB space elsewhere (or at all) to back up to.

I don't have to 'do' anything to reproduce. It just hangs on about 1 in 3 auto-shutdowns. In terms of usage there is nothing different about the successes/failures. It auto-shutdowns at 2am and I'm never using it at that time (I do appreciate that it might be doing internal tasks at the time).

[I also seem to have another issue, I keep getting 8007003b errors in windows when writing to it when another PC is reading from it. This is new since Beta 4 - BUT I've also filled it up and its about 95% full now, so i'm taking stuff off and will balance it at about 80% before making any judgements.]

Is it possible to downgrade to 6.2.5 via USB recovery or the like (or is that destructive)??

I think I have a spare drive to do a factory reset with - but I assume I would then be able to reinsert the 4 original drives and access the array OK??

Thanks

Andy

Message 24 of 60
vito86b
Aspirant

Same Problem is still there and the reinstall is not practicable... I will try to downgrade the firmware...

Message 25 of 60
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 59 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements