× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

NAS not showing under Network again after update to 6.4.1

Chairface
Tutor

NAS not showing under Network again after update to 6.4.1

After upgarding from 6.4.1-T35 (Beta 3) to 6.4.1 final , the RN104 no longer shows up under "Network" in Windows 10 again.

Previously disabling the NAS from becoming a local master in nmbd (local master = no) provided a workaround..  However this no longer seems to be the case.

The NAS does still continue to show under network with Windows 7.

Anyone else seeing this issue?

Thank you.

Message 1 of 32

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: NAS not showing under Network again after update to 6.4.1

FWIW, 6.5.0 Beta 2 now has WSD support in addition to NetBIOS.  So even it MS botches NetBIOS again (or if you run an IPv6-only network), we should still be discoverable. 🙂

View solution in original post

Message 31 of 32

All Replies
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, there are several long threads in various places on the internet discussing the issue.  I presume MS will eventually fix it, but I don't know how long it'll take.  You can make it work though, with these smb.conf settings:

server max protocol = NT1
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

But that limits the NAS to doing SMB1 transfers, which are much slower than SMB2/3.

Message 2 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

I have zero problems with it with any other devies I have.. The only issue appears with the NAS device..  Windows implementation and use of it otherwise works 100% reliable (for me, combinations of Windows 10, WIndows 8.1, and Windows 7, printers, etc)..  Isn't this really a problem with the NAS devices use/implementation of SMB3/nbmd?

Message 3 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

To add to this,  The NAS still shows up fine under Windows 7 (smb 2.1) reliably, the problem now seems to only exist with Windows 10 (SMB 3.0).  

Message 4 of 32
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Right, and it used to work on Windows 10 as well, until recently after an update from MS. This thread may interest you.

Message 5 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

Thank you for the link.  This seems to state that NAS/Unix/Linux devices are the only things having trouble.  This indicates to me that the Unix side needs an update to support new changes, not something Microsoft needs to fix since existing Windows clients still work fine.

I see a few things to try in here tho, maybe something in here will resolve it for me. 

Thanks you for the assistance.

Message 6 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@Chairface wrote:

This indicates to me that the Unix side needs an update to support new changes, not something Microsoft needs to fix since existing Windows clients still work fine.

Microsoft no longer rules the software world.  If they make changes that break things, they should provide fixes - at least registry entries to force the old behavior.

Message 7 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

Point taken, but they do own the SMB 2/3 world do they not?  Everyone else has to add support for what they create there..  If we were talking about NFS or something, that would be a different story.

Forcing SMB1 did work for me as a valid workaround, and I don't really notice much performance degradation..  Thank you for that, I will continue to follow the developments over at technet.

Message 8 of 32
CLHatch
Luminary

@Skywalker wrote:

Yes, there are several long threads in various places on the internet discussing the issue.  I presume MS will eventually fix it, but I don't know how long it'll take.  You can make it work though, with these smb.conf settings:

server max protocol = NT1
preferred master = yes
os level = 65

But that limits the NAS to doing SMB1 transfers, which are much slower than SMB2/3.

I put those configuration lines in /etc/frontview/samba/samba.conf.overrides, and it killed my SMB completely.  Removing the file brought it back.  Is this not where to put the configuration, or are they different for an RN516?

Message 9 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

Microsoft's response has been "that SMB & CIFS are not published open standards and that Microsoft are under no obligation not to make changes.  SMB and CIFS on non-windows platforms are reverse engineered."

Can we hope that someone will be looking at updating to address changes on this product? or is that outside the scope of what you can offer..

Message 10 of 32
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I don't know how "reverse-engineered" an SMB implementation would have to be these days, when the specs are published by Microsoft.  https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Server_Message_Block#Specifications

Message 11 of 32
StephenB
Guru

SMB was actually standardized as CAE 592 http://pubs.opengroup.org/onlinepubs/9697999099/toc.pdf

CIFS is not standardized, but the full specifications are published by Microsoft.

Message 12 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

Appreciate your quick responses..  That opengroup.org link doesn't work for me.. (The requested URL /onlinepubs/9697999099/toc.pdf. was not found on this server.)

If specs are continuning to published, hopefully we will see things fall into line then..   I'm continuing to watch the microsoft thread, if a fix comes out from their end, I'll make sure to update here.

Thank you guys.

Message 13 of 32
StephenB
Guru

The forum software sometimes adds in trailing punctuation to the URL. It did that this time (trying to access "toc.pdf.", not "toc.pdf").

That standard is quite old (1992) - my point was that Microsoft in fact chose to standardize SMB, which means they gave up change control to the standards organization.  They didn't choose to do that with CIFS - instead they published an open specification.

Basically, Microsoft blew you off with a stupid answer.  They indeed have published the specs.

@CLHatch wrote:

I put those configuration lines in /etc/frontview/samba/samba.conf.overrides, and it killed my SMB completely.  Removing the file brought it back.  Is this not where to put the configuration, or are they different for an RN516?

Did you add the lines using a file editor that preserved linux formatting?

Message 14 of 32
CLHatch
Luminary

I would think it would have preserved formatting. It was nano, in ssh on the NAS.
Message 15 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@CLHatch wrote:
I would think it would have preserved formatting. It was nano, in ssh on the NAS.

I think it should have also.

Is is possible that the PC clients are configured to reject SMB1?

Message 16 of 32
CLHatch
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@CLHatch wrote:

Don't know... only checked it on my desktop, which is running Windows 10. Wife's laptop is also running Windows 10, although I didn't check access on that.

Message 17 of 32
StephenB
Guru

@CLHatch wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@CLHatch wrote:

Don't know... only checked it on my desktop, which is running Windows 10. Wife's laptop is also running Windows 10, although I didn't check access on that.

You might want to check that.  Also make sure the workgroup name in the PC and the NAS match.

Message 18 of 32
CLHatch
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

@CLHatch wrote:

@StephenB wrote:

@CLHatch wrote:

You might want to check that.  Also make sure the workgroup name in the PC and the NAS match.

Just now checked the workgroup name... it matches. I'll leave it be for now.  Only functionality that seems to be missing without changes is seeing the NAS in Network Places.  As a workaround for easy access, I went to it manually, and added it to my "Quick Access" in Windows 10, as well as pinned it in the Start menu.

Message 19 of 32
Blendworth
Aspirant

Hi All,

Ive been having the same problem. Bought a Netgear ReadyNAS 102 the other day, connected it all up and it appeared on the network under 'computers'. Then i did the update and it dissapeared. After days of messing about, readying fourms, more messing about, it has finally come back to me with out having to map every folder. 

I had changed the workgroup name to a different name in both in Windows and in the Netgear NAS settings. That was 'Net7'2 for me. 

My workgroup has always been called 'workgroup' and I have never had any problems. The last thing I did prior to it working again was to rename my workgroup to a differant name on the PC in Control panel\System and clicked on 'advanced system settings in the left hand menu. On the 'Computer Name' tap, I clicked on the 'Change' button to rename my workgroup to 'Net72'. Restarted the PC and then changed the workgroup name in ReadyNAS to 'Net72' aswell found in the 'admin page\accounts\Authentication' under 'workgroup name'. Now I had access to the NAS how I expect. 

Can others let me know if this works for them as it was the only thing that worked for me in many hours of trying to work it out. 

PS, dont forget to click 'Apply' in ReadyNAS as i forgot the first time. 

Message 20 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

Disabling the NAS's ability to become a master browser has been a good workaround for me, but I wanted to post an update from Microsoft for those following this issue:

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi All,

I wanted to provide an update on this thread to let you know that we are currently investigating this issue and I am working with the product group to determine root cause. The issue we are investigating is in regards to 'Network Discovery' not locating devices on the network.

The issue appears that Windows 10 is not broadcasting out an NetBT or RAP requests when searching for the devices on the network and only uses WSD protocol. If you navigate to Explorer > Network and changed to Details view and then add 'Discovery Method' to the column bar you should see that if you are discovering any devices they are more than likely only being found via WSD.

If you are encountering an actual issue accessing a network share (such as inputting \\location\share) that is more than likely a different environment issue. If you are encountering this type of issue, feel free to capture a network trace when reproducing the behavior and sending me the trace data to arudell at Microsoft dot com and I can take a look at let you know what might be preventing connection from being established.

Regards,

Adam Rudell | Windows Networking Beta | Microsoft Corporation

-------------------------------------------------------------------------

Message 21 of 32
CLHatch
Luminary

It looks like Microsoft may have figured out the problem... I'm currently on the "Fast Ring" for the Windows 10 previews, and just got updated to Build 11099.  My RN316 (running 6.42 Beta 2) shows up under Networks as it should.  Checking the "Discovery Method" column, it shows up as NetBIOS.

Message 22 of 32
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello CLHatch,

You might also want to check this discussion: 

Re: This Patch Worked for Me - Win10 Home / ReadyNAS 102

Regards,

Message 23 of 32
CLHatch
Luminary

I might consider that if I revert to an older build of Windows 10 (say, if there are deal-breaking bugs I encounter), but for now it's working without having to resort to forcing SMB1.
Message 24 of 32
Chairface
Tutor

Update from Microsoft:

I wanted to let you know that we were able to identify the issue and ultimately find out that a fix was already in the works and checked into our latest builds. I tested on build 11103 in my environment and confirmed that the machine is able to find other devices on the networking using both NetBIOS and WSD when performing Network Discovery.

I see that 11102 is available for WIP so it should be contained within that build image as well.

Please do some testing and let me know the results.

Thanks!

Adam Rudell | Windows Networking Beta | Microsoft Corporation

Message 25 of 32
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 31 replies
  • 4 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements