× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

No more betas?

ScottChapman
Apprentice

No more betas?

Things seem to have gotten really really quiet...
Message 1 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: No more betas?

Stay tuned. We'll hopefully have a new beta ready to share sometime in the next few weeks or so.
Message 2 of 28
CharlesR
Guide

For non RN200 models should we consider 6.3.4 to be the end of the road and go back to 6.2.5 for Betas?
Message 3 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

6.3.4 is not the end of the road. We are working on 6.3.5 too.

If 6.3.4 is working fine for you I would not see a need to downgrade to 6.2.x
Message 4 of 28
CharlesR
Guide

mdgm wrote:
If 6.3.4 is working fine for you I would not see a need to downgrade to 6.2.x

So far so good. I have/had an issue but it was still there with 6.2.4 so 6.3.4 wasn't the cause. It's an App issue which I posted about in the unsupported forum (using a Pro 2).
Message 5 of 28
Jimo2012
Aspirant

Hey all..

Where is the 6.3.4 beta that your speaking about?

I cannot seem to find it.... 😕

Thanks

James
Message 6 of 28
StephenB
Guru

Jimo2012 wrote:
Where is the 6.3.4 beta that your speaking about?
It was actually a 6.3.3 beta (viewtopic.php?f=154&t=79670)

This was released last April for the RN200 series, but a few bugs forced 6.3.4 to be released in May. The bug fixes are here: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detai ... s-200-only)

6.3.x has the same features as 6.2.x, but uses a newer linux kernel. Personally I'd wait for a 6.3.5 beta, and not install 6.3.3-T153 (Beta 12) at this point. 6.2.5 RC1 has stability fixes for the RN100, which 6.3.3 doesn't have.
Message 7 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Ah, yes I should have said 6.3.3 beta.
Message 8 of 28
ljung
Tutor

I'm running 6.3.4 beta firmware on both my RN104 and RN202 but could use the stability tweaks that was implanted in the latest 6.2 beta (but I hold out and waiting rather than downgrading)
Message 9 of 28
StephenB
Guru

ljung wrote:
I'm running 6.3.4 beta firmware on both my RN104 and RN202 but could use the stability tweaks that was implanted in the latest 6.2 beta (but I hold out and waiting rather than downgrading)
6.3.4 is production of course (functionally beta for the RN104).
Message 10 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 11 of 28
aVe2000
Aspirant

I am a bit confused with these versions. I have a 104 device. And it looks like i can use the 6.3.x-versions. But only the betas. The last final 6.3 build was only for the 200 devices. Why? Will there be an official 6.3 build for the 104 ?

Regards.
Message 12 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can run 6.3.5 beta on the 104 but it is still early access for that. If you try 6.3.5 beta firmware and don't like it you can downgrade to 6.2.5 beta.

For the x86_64 models it is no longer early access. The 200 series shipped with 6.3.x and cannot run 6.2.x firmware.

We do plan to release a single production firmware version for all ReadyNAS models in a future release but we won't do that till it's ready. The full support for the x86_64 models in 6.3.5 beta is a big step forward in this regard.

Some things may not work on 6.3.x on the 100 series and 2120 but mostly it should be working fine.
Message 13 of 28
StephenB
Guru

aVe2000 wrote:
I am a bit confused with these versions. I have a 104 device. And it looks like i can use the 6.3.x-versions. But only the betas. The last final 6.3 build was only for the 200 devices. Why? Will there be an official 6.3 build for the 104 ?

Regards.
This was explained earlier (perhaps before you joined the forum).

6.3.x uses a newer linux kernel than 6.2.x. Netgear is taking a conservative/slow approach to migrating OS6 systems to that kernel.

RN200 is the newest ARM system, and it has always used the newer kernel - so no migration is needed. Eventually all OS6 systems will end up on the same kernel again, but for now they are forked.
Message 14 of 28
aVe2000
Aspirant

StephenB wrote:
aVe2000 wrote:

Regards.
This was explained earlier (perhaps before you joined the forum).

6.3.x uses a newer linux kernel than 6.2.x. Netgear is taking a conservative/slow approach to migrating OS6 systems to that kernel.

RN200 is the newest ARM system, and it has always used the newer kernel - so no migration is needed. Eventually all OS6 systems will end up on the same kernel again, but for now they are forked.

Hello Stephen,

Wouldnt it be useful to explain this on the related posts eg. in the final 6.3.4 post or in the 6.3.5 post? I would like to know that the 6.3.5 beta version will not be converted to the final version at least. I guess, '[early access support for 102 / 104 / 2120]' should describe this. But it's not that comprehensible.

Regards.
Message 15 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The 6.3.5 beta announcement mentions those ARM models as early access. The 200 series will have a production 6.3.5 release.
Message 16 of 28
StephenB
Guru

aVe2000 wrote:
Wouldnt it be useful to explain this on the related posts eg. in the final 6.3.4 post or in the 6.3.5 post? I would like to know that the 6.3.5 beta version will not be converted to the final version at least. I guess, '[early access support for 102 / 104 / 2120]' should describe this. But it's not that comprehensible.
Perhaps Netgear could add some more text.

FWIW they haven't said when they will migrate everything to the new kernel. So that might be at 6.3.5 release, it might be later on. Also, its an intention - not a commitment. If they run into major snags they might keep some platforms on the old kernel. Though that seems unlikely to me.

It's reasonable for you to simply stick with 6.2.5 beta. From a user point of view the features are identical unless you are installing stuff on the NAS with ssh.
Message 17 of 28
F_L_
Tutor

StephenB wrote:
aVe2000 wrote:
Perhaps Netgear could add some more text.

FWIW they haven't said when they will migrate everything to the new kernel. So that might be at 6.3.5 release, it might be later on. Also, its an intention - not a commitment. If they run into major snags they might keep some platforms on the old kernel. Though that seems unlikely to me.

It's reasonable for you to simply stick with 6.2.5 beta. From a user point of view the features are identical unless you are installing stuff on the NAS with ssh.

Have you any examples of when problem can occur? I have some stuff installed this way and thinking about trying the new kernel.
No fancy stuff but important nonetheless (LMS, unifi-video, sabnzbd etc.)
Message 18 of 28
StephenB
Guru

I wasn't focused on anything too specific. If you are a developer type, then the libraries, etc. that you use depend on the kernel. If you are publishing apps, then you'd want a head start on making they still function properly.

Most of us won't see any difference - so there's no urgency on moving to the new kernel.
Message 19 of 28
aVe2000
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The 6.3.5 beta announcement mentions those ARM models as early access. The 200 series will have a production 6.3.5 release.

hi mgdm,

thats right. But for me the term 'early access' doesnt imply 'no final' on this. Actually i wasnt able to construe this like the way you thought. After stephens explanation i now know whats going on there with these betas and i know i will not take part.

It's just simply a hint. Feel free to ignore this. Maybe its because of my lack of speaking english.

Regards
Message 20 of 28
StephenB
Guru

aVe2000 wrote:
...for me the term 'early access' doesn't imply 'no final' on this ... Maybe its because of my lack of speaking english.
I am a native English speaker (well, American anyway)... It doesn't imply "no production 5.3.5 for RN100" to be either. It also doesn't imply "production 6.3.5 for RN100" - it leaves both possibilities open.

Given the context of a beta release announcement, I think it does warn that there is more risk than usual if it is installed on an "early access" machine.
Message 21 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Early Access implies that a production release is not imminent for the models for which the firmware is early access and that there may be a few more issues than one would normally expect with a beta.
Message 22 of 28
Dave_Ams
Tutor

What about the legacy models? I just updated a RN Pro 6 and found that the current conversion image is a 6.3.5 version, is that the better version for these?

David

Message 23 of 28
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes 6.3.5 is a good release for the legacy models. It has some fixes not available in 6.2.4. You can downgrade to 6.2.4 if you want.

We have new beta firmware available: https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/ReadyNASOS-6-4-0-T112-Beta-2/td-p/975186

Message 24 of 28
vito86b
Aspirant

Hi,

I have problems with the new beta 6.4.0 when the device starts to shutdown into sleep mode it hangs up.

Best Regards

Vitus

Message 25 of 28
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 27 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 10 in conversation
Announcements