× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RC 6.9.0 destroyed one of two JBOD volumes

ArchPrime
Guide

RC 6.9.0 destroyed one of two JBOD volumes

Under 6.8.1 I had two physical disks, each with JBOD volumes

After updating to RC 6.9.0 I have one physical disk mounted with a JBOD volume , while the other disk shows as 'spare'  raid type 'unknown'.

Screenshot attached, with some warnings that appeared as soon as I finished the update.

Is this a bug?

I an quite keen to access the data on this now 'unknown drive' - how do I go about getting it recognized/mounted again in a non destructive way?

Message 1 of 6

Accepted Solutions
Sandshark
Sensei

Re: RC 6.9.0 destroyed one of two JBOD volumes

Yes, "green" drives are not recommended for NAS use because of their automatic head parking and spin-up times.  They can drop out of a RAID array.  Yours not being in a RAID array, you don't lose the whole array, but problems like you experienced can happen.  While the spin-up from power off is likely the same or even slower than with a hot reboot, the NAS is expecting it to take longer and waits, where it may not on the reboot.  As long as you don't plan to include it in a RAID and you can tolerate the occasional glitch, I don't see any reason to swap out the drive at this time.

The sounds you hear are likely from the head parking.  You may want to Google WDIDLE3, it's a program for adjusting the autopark function of the WD Green drives.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 6

All Replies
ArchPrime
Guide

Update: powering NAS off then on again, suddenly both disk recognized and mounted again - so something seems to require more than the single restart that occurs during firmware update

Message 2 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

If the drive was spun down when you installed the new firmware, that drive may have spun up late.  But it was already spun up when you rebooted again.  Is it a "green" drive?  It could be a sign of a failing power supply, but I wouldn't jump to that conclusion with just one instance.

Message 3 of 6
ArchPrime
Guide

Hi thanks for your reply

Good guess - it is a WD Green WD40EZRX (4TB) 

The other drive is the 2TB equivalent from Western Digital, but had no apparent problems

Is the 'green' part of potential concern?

ther 4TB drive is  probably a couple of years newer, so I hope it is not failing already.

When I restarted for the second time, this was from power off (power plug pulled, then left it for a minute before reconnecting) - so am assuming spin up would have been at least as slow as the first time?

While there were no more warnings in the OS9 error log, I did hear the occasional/sporadic beep or chime from the NAS unit for the first hour or so after power up - does this typically correspond to some sort of alarm condition?  I have not heard these before, and now as of 10 hours later they seem to have stopped.

Message 4 of 6
Sandshark
Sensei

Yes, "green" drives are not recommended for NAS use because of their automatic head parking and spin-up times.  They can drop out of a RAID array.  Yours not being in a RAID array, you don't lose the whole array, but problems like you experienced can happen.  While the spin-up from power off is likely the same or even slower than with a hot reboot, the NAS is expecting it to take longer and waits, where it may not on the reboot.  As long as you don't plan to include it in a RAID and you can tolerate the occasional glitch, I don't see any reason to swap out the drive at this time.

The sounds you hear are likely from the head parking.  You may want to Google WDIDLE3, it's a program for adjusting the autopark function of the WD Green drives.

Message 5 of 6
ArchPrime
Guide

Thanks Sandshark. very good info there!

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements