× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN104 after upgrade to 6.4.0 Beta 6 Boots up then freezes at same point

JohanProphet
Aspirant

RN104 after upgrade to 6.4.0 Beta 6 Boots up then freezes at same point

Hello,

I orginally posted this in a different discussion about losing netowrk connectivity, but the issue is beyond that.  I upgraded from 6.2.5 to beta 6 upon reboot it froze, and all I can do it pull the power and start it again, with the same issue.  I reinstalled the OS, which didn't help.  I tried to capture logs but it freezes before I can.  What I see on the front pannel the boot finishes (I can see it on RAIDar) I see FW version, I see the 169. IP address, It starts resync (Probabley because of all the power cord pulls) 12.5%.  Then all indicator lights go solid no disk noise and device drops off RAIDar "Frozen".  I have read in other posts that running to many applications and services could cause this, I just need to know how to "Break" before this happens and disable them, or am I looking at a factory defaults reset?

Thanks,

Message 1 of 6
JohanProphet
Aspirant

Re: RN104 after upgrade to 6.4.0 Beta 6 Boots up then freezes at same point

Figured out a work around.

Pulled out one disk and brought up the RN104, volume comes up degraded and doesn't try to resync. Login to the GUI and disabled every app and service I could.  Reinsterted a new drive.... (New drive just for testing I didn't want to muddy the waters with stale data from the old drive). Reconstruction has been progressing over the last hour without incident, Last time I checked only 80 hours to go.  I'll update when it has completed.  I also grabbed the logs because I was able to, just in case.

Thanks,

Message 2 of 6
JohanProphet
Aspirant

Sorry for the late reply.... Drive rebuilt and I was able log back in and re-enable all my services and apps all looked fine. I am getting a system error "Folder Operation Failed" Message "18007020001 Success" when selecting shares. I click ignore and everything looks fine.... Don't know!?!  Two Days later I got an email saying my NFS share is down.  Upon looking found my RN104 frozen again. Disconnected Ethernet and did a hard reset, it came back and the front panel said Resync 30%, it looks like it froze during a resync again.  Left the Ethernet disconnected and let it finish its resync, which took about 2 days it continued from 30%.  Now the only issue I am seeing is the System error when selecting the shares.  Maybe when 6.4.0 goes GA I might need to do a full factory reset.  I am definitely going to disable all apps and services before upgrading next time.

Hope my experience helps out anyone else that this might be happening to.

Message 3 of 6
JohanProphet
Aspirant

Update.... Another freeze, After reset this time, the Volume came up corrupted.  Could not bring it back in any way, so I was left with doing a factory reset (had a feeling I was going in that direction).  When the resync has finished I will start to restore some data and see how the RN104 responds. 

Message 4 of 6
ShaunH
Initiate

I have a 104 as well, I began running into issues with 6.2.5

After upgrade it froze and wouldn't come back at all.  Netgear support remoted in and said the databse got corrupted, took them 3 days to fix it.

Has been buggy/freezing ever since.

Upgraded to 6.4 last night, doesn't seem AS buggy but i'm getting your failure "success" message now as well...

The factory reset, did you have an offsite to put your data to and pull back from?  

I want to do that also but have no where for the data to go 😞

Message 5 of 6
JohanProphet
Aspirant

I was using ReadyNAS replicate (to a much smaller box) but I was able to restore all my sensitive data but all the bulk stuff went bye bye... The weird thing was when I went to restore through ReadyNAS replicate all my replication jobs were gone.  (Maybe the jobs data base was on the RN104 I don't know what happened there)   So I had to setup individual RSYNC jobs back to the RN104.  It worked and everything is back to normal.  Hope this helps.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements