× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: RN104 stuck on Booting after firmware upgrade

Tutenstein
Aspirant

RN104 stuck on Booting after firmware upgrade

Hi All,

I have just updated to ReadyNASOS 6.4.0-T112 (Beta 2) and rebooted. Now I got a big issue as all I have is the power button flashes for a few seconds and then it stays on but the screen says BOOTING .

If I go to BOOT Menu, either choose OS Install or Normal it says booting and thats it nothing else happens. SO no matter how I try and boot in nothing changes. I have unplugged everything from the unit, even taken all the drives out tried the process but to no avail. Cannot ping the NAS on the network either.

Hope there is a way to resolve this.

Thanks

Slav

Message 1 of 19

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This problem could happen if your 100 series unit was running 6.3.x firmware older than 6.3.5 and you attempted to update direct to 6.4.0.

The solution would be to do a USB Boot Recovery back to 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 and then try updating the firmware normally to 6.4.0 again.

View solution in original post

Message 5 of 19

All Replies
Frank888
NETGEAR Expert

Hi,

Could you choose the "Factory Default" from the boot menu?

If you could, please try it.

Message 2 of 19
Tutenstein
Aspirant

Only problem with that solution I will lose everything on the hard drives. So trying to avoid it.

Message 3 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

A factory default would wipe all the data off the system.

Don't try that.

I have sent you a PM. 

I will need the disks in the NAS.

Message 4 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

This problem could happen if your 100 series unit was running 6.3.x firmware older than 6.3.5 and you attempted to update direct to 6.4.0.

The solution would be to do a USB Boot Recovery back to 6.2.5 or 6.3.5 and then try updating the firmware normally to 6.4.0 again.

Message 5 of 19
Tutenstein
Aspirant

Hi mdgm,

sorry for the slow reply but time zones suck, had to get some sleep. After following your instructions to do a USB Boot recovery it all went smooth and worked.

Yes I did have 6.2.5 originally so makes sense what you were saying.

it is now working good on the beta firmware :):) Thank you for the assistance

Also I just went and loaded the 6.4.0 beta did not go backwards it all managed to work on that.

Slav

Message 6 of 19
bellusc
Aspirant

MDGM, I am having the same problem and cannot afford to lose the data on these disks. Can you please e-mail me the directions to do a USB boot recovery back to 6.2.5? Thank you very much in advance - bellusc@sc.rr.com

Message 7 of 19
lwilbur
Aspirant

MDGM:  Another one with same problem.  Did an automatic upgrade to 6.4.0a from 6.1.X and now frozen in "booting."  RN 104 doesn't show up on RAIDar scan (though my Duo does), RN 104 doesn't respond to any front buttons, and pulling plug and repowering ends up in the same place--endless "booting."

Any help would be appreciated.  

Hadn't checked in to the admin on the RN 104 for a while, so hadn't been keeping up with latest releases.  Shouldn't there be some warning about upgrading if this is an issue?

Message 8 of 19
marknseattle
Aspirant

Can I get instructions on how to do this? I have the same issue? Ty!
mburchardt@live.com
Message 9 of 19
spotcatbug
Apprentice

PLEASE READ MY UPDATE AT THE BOTTOM OF THIS POST!

Upgraded from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 yesterday. This morning, powered-on the unit and it's stuck on booting...................

Of course I didn't immediately assume it was the 6.4.0 update because it was working fine all yesterday. So, after waiting for an amount of time that I KNEW was unusual, I powered the unit off (pulled the plug) and rebooted. Now I'm stuck on booting again - for over an hour now.

Fired-up google and discovered all these "RN104 stuck on booting" posts.

What do I do now? Wait? [turns out waiting was the right answer, in my case] Is my unit actually doing something special, related to the update, during this "booting" process?

I don't want to do a factory reset. I mean, I have the data backed-up - but, come on, that's not a solution. Recreating my NAS from my backup is a roayl PAIN that I don't expect to have to do unless something horrible happens. We have these NASes with RAIDs so that we can store stuff on them and be reasonably sure it'll stay in good shape. And when disks go bad (100% will happen) we can swap in new ones and keep going. The backup is for catastrophes, not for whenever we update the firmware on the NAS.

UPDATE:

While I was typing the above post... my RN104 finished booting! I was going to scrap the above post, but then I thought it would be informative... somehow. I don't know. It was a lot of typing, so I'm posting it.

Message 10 of 19
StephenB
Guru

About how long did it take?  How much data is on the NAS?

Message 11 of 19
RickieAbbott
Aspirant

I too have the same problem, my RN104  was  on the  6.4 t112   then I auto updated the 6.4.0 ,   but now it is stuck on booting, let it go all night, but this morning it was still "Stuck on Booting"  ,, note: all 4 of my drives show up on the front lights.       how do i do a  USB Boot ?

Message 12 of 19
lwilbur
Aspirant

Got help from NetGear Support who referred me to: https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/RN104-Stuck-quot-Booting-quot-after-automatic-6....

This post gives you a link to software and the directions for doing a USB reboot at the unit via a memory stick (flash drive).

After going through the process got my RN 104 back with all the files intact and was upgraded to 6.4.0a.

Thanks for the help, especially to NetGear's Customer Support.

Linn

Message 13 of 19
spotcatbug
Apprentice

Well, I spoke too soon. My RN104 is not working correctly after all.

As you'll recall, from a few posts above this one: yesterday, when I powered-on the unit, it was stuck on "booting" for about an hour and a half, but it did eventually finish. It was working fine all day.

However, this morning when I powered-on the unit (I've been turning it off every night recently because my office is now in my bedroom and I need quiet to sleep), it booted-up normally, but the shares are not accessible. And, if I go to the admin page, I get the main "NETGEAR ReadyNAS Version 6.4.0" splash screen (over and over), but never get into the actual admin page.

Actually, the boot was a little different than I'm used to seeing. I don't know if this is new for 6.4.0 or may be a clue, so I'll mention it here: when I powered-on the unit, the drive lights lit up right away and then the boot continued as normal. I'm used to waiting for the drive lights to light up later in the boot process, basically when it's done.

Message 14 of 19
spotcatbug
Apprentice

Well, now this is just weird.

I went to reboot the unit. I've been waiting for it to power-down now for more than an hour. It's stuck on the flashing power button and "Powering off... goodbye." However, it is now working... in this powering-off state. I can access the shares and the admin page.

Should I try the USB recovery or what?

Message 15 of 19
StephenB
Guru

If you don't have a backup take the opportunity to make one.

Message 16 of 19
spotcatbug
Apprentice

Of course I have a backup. I have an external backup drive attached to the NAS and I use CrashPlan.

I'm not sure how to take your post. Are you giving the usual, "Your NAS is not your backup" advice, or are you implying, based on the symptoms I've described, that my NAS is in bad shape? Do you think I should try the USB recovery?

The NAS is doing the same thing this morning as it did yesterday. It seems to be completely booted-up, but I can't access any shares. I'm trying to get into the admin pages - I got past the splash screen this time. I've clicked on the "Logs" tab to see if I can see anything in there. It gave up trying to load the logs. Everywhere I click in the admin pages, it seems to be struggling try to show what it's supposed to show, and then it gives up. The NAS is definitely working hard trying to do something and it's making it unusable.

I'm shutting-down the unit right now. It's doing the same thing it did yesterday: "Powering off... goodbye" but it's not really powering-off. It's just sitting there, saying it's powering off, with a blinking power button.

Message 17 of 19
spotcatbug
Apprentice

I just did the USB recovery option (it's pretty simple, so I went for it). After the first reboot, shares and admin pages are fully accessible. It's working exactly as I would expect (we'll see how the shutdown goes later). Looking in the logs, I see nothing to indicate there was any sort of problem.

From this point forward, I'm not doing any firmware updates until everybody else on the planet, with an RN104, does it first. Smiley Tongue

Message 18 of 19
spotcatbug
Apprentice

Well, once again, it isn't working correctly. Looks like the USB recovery made it work correctly for one boot. Now, on the second boot, it's doing exactly the same as before; it appears to be fully booted-up, but shares and admin pages are inaccessible. I suspect that if I wait about 90 minutes, it'll be fine.

Running diagnostics from RAIDar shows:

Successfully completed diagnostics

System

Logs

2015-09-30 12:58:15: In usiHDDpwrctrl_timer_func, power_ing.ID = 3.

Not sure if that's helpful.

Message 19 of 19
Discussion stats
  • 18 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 9 in conversation
Announcements