× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

RN314 GUI gone after firmware upgrade 6.9.0 to 6.9.1

Raja_Tahir
Aspirant

RN314 GUI gone after firmware upgrade 6.9.0 to 6.9.1

Received Pop-up continuous to upgrade RN 314 firmware from 6.9.0 to 6.9.1, After upgrading the firmware the GUI interface gone. Folders are accessible on all users systems, everything is fine but GUI is not accessible. I read one forumn threat that "same thing happend and resolved" after couple of restars but in my case its not works.

Attached index interface is showing when i am accessing from the IP. Any solution?

Forums Support awaiting

Model: RN31442D|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4- Bay (4x 2TB Desktop)
Message 1 of 13

Accepted Solutions
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Re: RN314 GUI gone after firmware upgrade 6.9.0 to 6.9.1

There was an old log file that contained error messages from failed email alerts, which had grown very large and made our log file trimming mechanism time out. Once we removed it and reapplied the 6.9.1 update, the GUI came back online.  We have made adjustments to both log trimming as well as the update process to address this possibility going forward in 6.9.3.

View solution in original post

Message 12 of 13

All Replies
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Raja_Tahir

Welcome to the community!

How many times have you rebooted the NAS? Have you tried using a different browser and computer? 6.9.2 is in BETA phase and should not be used unless advised by a NETGEAR Support expert.

I would advised selecting to install Stable updates only under System>Settings>Updates this is to avoid getting notifications on BETA releases.

Regards

Message 2 of 13
StephenB
Guru

Re: RN314 GUI gone after firmware upgrade 6.9.1 to 6.9.2

@Marc_V wrote:

6.9.2 is in BETA phase and should not be used unless advised by a NETGEAR Support expert.

Sorry, that is silly.  The whole point of public beta is to get early feedback on the next release.

If you are running beta software without being advised by Support, then you are depending on Netgear Development to resolve your issues, not Support.  It is best not to run beta software on production systems; and of course many users will choose not to run beta firmware at all. 

@Raja_Tahir, I suggest contacting @kohdee or @Skywalker for advice on how to proceed.  In the meantime, try gathering logs via RAIDar.

Message 3 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@Raja_Tahir

Good advise from @StephenB. Better contact @kohdee or @Skywalker regarding this issue on the BETA firmware.

@StephenB

If you are running beta software without being advised by Support, then you are depending on Netgear Development to resolve your issues, not Support.  It is best not to run beta software on production systems; and of course many users will choose not to run beta firmware at all. 

@Raja_Tahir, I suggest contacting @kohdee or @Skywalker for advice on how to proceed.  In the meantime, try gathering logs via RAIDar

Thank you for the advised, I was thinking of this as well

Regards

Message 4 of 13
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If I had to guess, I'd say your root volume is full and we weren't able to extract the entirety of the GUI code.  You can click the Diagnostics button in RAIDar to confirm.

Message 5 of 13
Raja_Tahir
Aspirant

Sorry Skywalker, before its 6.9.0 and after continous notification on the main GUI interface, i proceed its upgrade it to 6.9.1 and after installation it requires restart and after Restarting its GUI interface didn't came back even i tried 3 - 4 times Hard restart from power button.

I didn't install any application on this NAS and using it since 2015 June, this is the first time i am facing this issue. Yes i also configured email notification for alerts and from last two months i am getting alert daily in morning "System volume root's usage is 88%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

I also tried to check diagnostic and download logs from RAIDar, but its failed.

Check screen shot for your reference.

Any other solution! BecauseI am really worried because company's critical data is in this NAS.

Thanks

Raja Tahir

spiritsfortechnology@yahoo.com

Message 6 of 13
Raja_Tahir
Aspirant

Sorry Marc-V, before its 6.9.0 and after continous notification on the main GUI interface, i proceed its upgrade it to 6.9.1 and after installation it requires restart and after Restarting its GUI interface didn't came back even i tried 3 - 4 times Hard restart from power button.

I didn't install any application on this NAS and using it since 2015 June, this is the first time i am facing this issue. This is not the first time i upgrade the firmware after getting continuous pop-up from netgear. I upgrade it fourth time and first time its happens.Yes i also configured email notification for alerts and from last two months i am getting alert daily in morning "System volume root's usage is 88%. This condition should not occur under normal conditions. Contact technical support."

I also tried to check diagnostic and download logs from RAIDar, but its failed.

Check screen shot for your reference.

Any other solution! BecauseI am really worried because company's critical data is in this NAS.

Thanks

Raja Tahir

Model: RN31400|ReadyNAS 300 Series 4-Bay
Message 7 of 13
StephenB
Guru

@Raja_Tahir wrote:

Yes i also configured email notification for alerts and from last two months i am getting alert daily in morning "System volume root's usage is 88%.

You shouldn't have ignored those alerts.

@Raja_Tahir wrote:

You still have access with file explorer, correct?  So the first step is to update your backup.

If you have a full backup, one approach is to do a factory reset, reconfigure the NAS, and restore the data. That will clear the full root volume.

Message 8 of 13
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @Raja_Tahir

I would go with @StephenB 's suggestion on doing a full backup and Factory reset the unit or contact NETGEAR Support if you have a contract or if you intend to purchase one.

It would be best to always take a look at the notifications to avoid issues like this the next time.

Regards

Message 9 of 13
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

I'd really like to find out where the space went, so please don't factory default.  You may be able to enable Secure Diagnostic Mode from RAIDar as descibed in this KB article.  If that doesn't work, you can enter Tech Support Mode from the boot menu.  Once you have that done, please PM me the 5-digit number.

Message 10 of 13
Raja_Tahir
Aspirant

Thanks skywalker for your support.

I am doing the backup now. As its completed, i will try to enable secure diag mode and share you the 5-digits no.

I am not sure the Secure diagnostic mode enable or not, because i try to extract logs and click on diagnostic from Raidar but its not work. Let me try my luck after completing the backup and will update you on PM.

Thanks

Raja Tahir

Message 11 of 13
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

There was an old log file that contained error messages from failed email alerts, which had grown very large and made our log file trimming mechanism time out. Once we removed it and reapplied the 6.9.1 update, the GUI came back online.  We have made adjustments to both log trimming as well as the update process to address this possibility going forward in 6.9.3.

Message 12 of 13
Raja_Tahir
Aspirant

GUI interface has been accessible now. Many Thanks skywalker for your support and effort.

and all the people in netgear community to help me out to fix this issue and release my Pain as all of the company's official data was in it.

Message 13 of 13
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 12 replies
  • 5 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements