× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Rc 6.9.0 - backup from remote location via ftp - not working

ArchPrime
Guide

Rc 6.9.0 - backup from remote location via ftp - not working

Using the new Backups function and attempting to set up a new remote backup source location for ftp transfers to the NAS, ftp credentials that work fine in FileZilla do not seem to work under RC 6.9.0 - is this a known issue?

Model: RN102|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

Re: Rc 6.9.0 - backup from remote location via ftp - not working

... Response is always 'invalid network name or permision denied' 

Simlar inability to make a connection to my own windows PC via it's network share

Is the Backups feature actually enabled at all?

Message 2 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ArchPrime,

It does appear having trouble creating a backup job from a remote ftp site. Have you tried or is it local ftp backup job is working? Can you attach a screenshot of the backup setting you have created. You may also try to enable port triggering for ftp port 21.  Try to reach out to the system administrator of the FTP server for error you are getting 'invalid network name or permision denied'.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

Hi, both local network or remote ftp locations  do not connect, even when identical credentials do work to same local and remote locations if using filezilla from y pc (on same hardwired network as ReadyNAS) , through the same router, with same port forwarding.

I can thus eliminate any issue with the locations themselves,

I can also FTP in to network share in ReadyNAS from outside - so issue seems restricted to ReadyNAS software trying to 'dial out' ...

Message 4 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ArchPrime,

Please check this thread here as it appears to be similar to the problem we are encountering. There are troubleshooting steps on the thread that you may try and check if it will make any difference. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

Hi thanks.

However, unlike the author of that thread, I have no trouble accessing readyNAS via FTP from outside.  The problems all seem to be when ReadyNAS tries to initiate a connection the pther way (or in fact to anwhere) using same ports and credentials that do work fine from PC on same local network.

Message 6 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@ArchPrime wrote:

using same ports and credentials that do work fine from PC on same local network.

Are you using a non-standard FTP port?  I don't believe the backup jobs support that.

On the Windows issue - is SMB1 (server) enabled on the PC hosting the share?

Message 7 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

On PC (and from ReadyNAS) I am using port 21 for FTP.  Works from PC, but not ReadyNAS (so far)

On Windows, yes SMBC1 is enabled

Message 8 of 24
StephenB
Guru

@ArchPrime wrote:

On PC (and from ReadyNAS) I am using port 21 for FTP. 

On the NAS, are you trying to specify the port?

@ArchPrime wrote:

On Windows, yes SMBC1 is enabled

If you are using the hostname in the NAS, try using the IP address.

Message 9 of 24
chsu83
Luminary

Betreff: Rc 6.9.0 - backup from remote location via ftp - not working

Did you try with active / passive? Because Filezilla for instance tries both if it can't connect.

And there are some Firewalls (like pfsense) there could be some proxies, so try to fix these settings, that you are sure wich you're using.

Message 10 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

Betreff: Rc 6.9.0 - backup from remote location via ftp - not working

Thank you all.  For some reason, with not even any changes required on my part, backup is now able to make an ftp connection to a remote location from readyNAS, AND connect to the PC / windows share on my local network!

I can't think what has changed, but as a guess maybe the fact that ReadyNAS has now been online for several days has helped?  I notice sometimes when trying to find PCs on local network, it can take some time before a newly connected PC is recognized

Message 11 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ArchPrime,

It is nice to hear that for some reason backup is working now. We are not sure what might be causing why newly added device on the network takes time to be detected. There is possibility the network just take time resolve hostname or may be cause by other factors. 

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 12 of 24
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello ArchPrime,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution.

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,
Marty_M
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 13 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

Hi, I still seem to be having issues with FTP on ReadyNAS.  Things will work fine for 2-3 weeks, with ReadyNAS accepting incoming ftp connections, then suddenly ReadyNAS stops accepting them from either my remote website (under development) that is trying to back itself up to ReadyNAS, or from my local computer trying to connect via filezilla.

File zilla reports 'Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server'

Rebooting readyNAS seems to work around the problem temporarily and it becomes receptive to incoming connections again, but it would be good to find a permnent solution that does not require this.

I found reliability improved somewhat when disabling all the FTP backup jobs initiated on ReadyNAS itself that I had been playing with (I presume there may have been clashes with incoming FTP requests) - but setup is still far from dependable.  Also, why would an incoming vs outgoing clash render the NAS inaccessable permanently thereafter (until reboot?)

Message 14 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

bump
Message 15 of 24
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ArchPrime

Have you tried updating the firmware to the latest version? We have the OS 6.9.3 available.

Regards

Message 16 of 24
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ArchPrime

Were you able to update to 6.9.3? It would be great if you can let us know if this resolved the issue

Regards

Message 17 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

Hi Marc.  Yes I was able to update thanks, and so far (crossed fingers) things seem to be more stable.  Has been about a week now with no disconnect, so lets call this provisionally solved.

Thanks for your help

Message 18 of 24
Marc_V
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi @ArchPrime

If you have observed that it definitely resolved the issue, I would suggest clicking on the Accepted Solution button on the reply that best suits the advised solution for other members to benefit on the resolution.

Regards

Message 19 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

OK, it seems I marked this as a solution too soon.  The issue has resumed.  

Message 20 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

It seems now, not even rebooting the NAS is suffcient - every attempt at ftp connection met with "Connection attempt failed with "ECONNREFUSED - Connection refused by server".

Message 21 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you provide us with a fresh set of logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 22 of 24
ArchPrime
Guide

Sent

Message 23 of 24
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you reviewed proftpd.log?

Message 24 of 24
Discussion stats