× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: ReadyNAS 6.3.5 RC2 Feedback

btaroli
Prodigy

Yeah, 4.0 introduced some nice features. Looking at the kernel version change list, 3.19 brought some nice fixes:

v3.19 (Feb 2015)

raid56 supports scrub and device replace

Have to set a limit someplace though. 🙂 Considering trying 6.3.5... not necessarily for btrfs stuff, but it'll be nice to be on a newer kernel.
Message 26 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

btaroli wrote:
And improved RAID stability across all RAID modes, it seems. http://www.phoronix.com/scan.php?page=a ... id01&num=1 Seems to be referencing kernel 4.x, though not 3.1x

That looks to be referring to BTRFS RAID whereas we use md raid. BTRFS RAID I would still consider experimental especially the RAID 5/6 code.

StephenB wrote:
Both RC candidates are running 3.17.3

We will of course evaluate newer versions and update when it is appropriate to do so.

StephenB wrote:

Given the recent "urgent bug fix" (mkfs creates invalid filesystem, must be recreated), maybe 4.x.x isn't quite ready for mass deployment?

We don't update to bleeding edge versions of packages or kernels for the sake of it, but rather wait for them to stabilise.

btaroli wrote:
Yeah, 4.0 introduced some nice features. Looking at the kernel version change list, 3.19 brought some nice fixes:

v3.19 (Feb 2015)

raid56 supports scrub and device replace

Have to set a limit someplace though. 🙂 Considering trying 6.3.5... not necessarily for btrfs stuff, but it'll be nice to be on a newer kernel.

We don't use BTRFS RAID. The RAID 5/6 support in BTRFS RAID is getting better, but it would be some time before I would be able to be confident in its stability.
Message 27 of 65
btaroli
Prodigy

mdgm wrote:
We don't use BTRFS RAID. The RAID 5/6 support in BTRFS RAID is getting better, but it would be some time before I would be able to be confident in its stability.

Oh yes, fully aware. But it's nice to see that feature gap closing so that someday we can. 🙂 Upside is that it might improve portability of the disk sets between NAS'es and other hosts, too. 🙂 It would be super awesome, for example, not to have to factory reset a whole volume during certain types of upgrade. And while that might be one of those "industry standard features," it'd still be something nice to be able to stand out and say "no more!", to users' delight. 😉
Message 28 of 65
StephenB
Guru

mdgm wrote:
StephenB wrote:
Both RC candidates are running 3.17.3
We will of course evaluate newer versions and update when it is appropriate to do so.
StephenB wrote:
Given the recent "urgent bug fix" (mkfs creates invalid filesystem, must be recreated), maybe 4.x.x isn't quite ready for mass deployment?
We don't update to bleeding edge versions of packages or kernels for the sake of it, but rather wait for them to stabilise.
As well you should; I wasn't meaning to suggest otherwise. 3.17.3 is only ~7-8 months old. 4.x doesn't seem stable yet to me.
Message 29 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

btaroli wrote:
It would be super awesome, for example, not to have to factory reset a whole volume during certain types of upgrade. And while that might be one of those "industry standard features," it'd still be something nice to be able to stand out and say "no more!", to users' delight. 😉

What kind of upgrade are you referring to? You shouldn't need to do a factory reset when running OS6.

With BTRFS RAID you're still going to find there may be some situations where creating a new volume is advisable.
Message 30 of 65
TOMA1
Tutor

I went ahead and installed 6.3.5 RC2 on a RN104.
I am still having USB back port (USB3) problems.
Back ports won't recognize my APC UPS.
Plugging into the front port corrects the issue.
Message 31 of 65
btaroli
Prodigy

I applied this build to my RN516 last night. Apart from the expected issue with DVBLink's USB drivers, everything else seems to be running swimmingly thus far. That includes Transmission r6, Automatic, Dropbox Manager, DVBLink, and PLEX.
Message 32 of 65
dmacleo
Guide

maybe I am missing something but I am having issues creating a nic bond on RN104.
unlike the prior firmware where the display showed the 2 links as one like my RN314 on 624 shows
https://www.dropbox.com/s/ele6th3277vtrsl/Capture314.JPG

I see something like this

https://www.dropbox.com/s/rredupkxnht1zfa/Capture104.PNG
and am unsure how to configure it.
am I not doing it right or have I overlooked something?

for some reason I can't post images so the 2 links are to png files on dropbox
Message 33 of 65
arikalish
Apprentice

Those Dropbox links aren't going to work. Right click on each file and select "Share Dropbox Link" to get a valid link.
Message 34 of 65
dmacleo
Guide

arikalish wrote:
Those Dropbox links aren't going to work. Right click on each file and select "Share Dropbox Link" to get a valid link.

thats exactly how it was done and nothing showed so I removed the tags,
I have very low posts though so may be the issue, may not yet have the permissions.
looking at my user panel it seems i cannot post attachments yet
Message 35 of 65
arikalish
Apprentice

It has nothing to do with the forum. I'm assuming you're on Windows, but the steps are basically the same for Mac/Linux. In Windows Explorer right click on the file name and from the drop down menu select "Share Dropbox Link".

Like this:
https://www.dropbox.com/s/0fhy3umn90f03i8/DBShareExample.png?dl=0
Message 36 of 65
dmacleo
Guide

[quote="arikalish"]It has nothing to do with the forum. I'm assuming you're on Windows, but the steps are basically the same for Mac/Linux. In Windows Explorer right click on the file name and from the drop down menu select "Share Dropbox Link".

Like this:

like I said, thats exactly how it was done. I probably do this procedure 70 times a week or so and its not a new thing to me.
and it showed nothing except a space. didn't even show the link like your post did. hard refresh also did not help, just a space with nothing there.
so I removed the bbcode tag so people could at least get the link to see it.
I've admined many phpbb,smf vb.ipb.xenforo boards as well as the underlying servers (root access), and usually a poster with 5 posts is restricted.
I'll build up my post count a bit then revisit topic to see if that helps. iirc phpbb default to 10 before allowing remote img posting.

and right now I get this error quoting you:
You cannot use certain BBCodes: [url].
Message 37 of 65
arikalish
Apprentice

You seem to have fixed your problem with the links... the original links were to folders like /ReadyNAS/Media or something. Now they're proper-looking Dropbox links.
Message 38 of 65
dmacleo
Guide

arikalish wrote:
You seem to have fixed your problem with the links... the original links were to folders like /ReadyNAS/Media or something. Now they're proper-looking Dropbox links.

yeah I tried a few methods to see if it helped, one being link to dropbox folder hierarchy itself. not often it works but figured was worth a try.
that was actually second edit and failed like first.
the org post was format like you see now and had same issues. mainly just blank space.
I'll post a bit and see, presently I am not allowed to post bbcode url so it has to be permission issue.
once post count gets up a few should automatically be allowed, but the pics are at least visible by copy/paste.
been looking for some sort of "manual" on changes to nic bonding on 6.3.5 but have not seen anything however I am concerned I may have just overlooked something.
Message 39 of 65
dmacleo
Guide

I also see the created bond on RN104 with 635 is not gaining ip from dhcp. dhcp server is server 2012r2 (full) with scope built that works for everything else including the RN314 on 6.2.4
the individual links themselves (when not bonded) gain correct info from dhcp server including the multiple dns servers (both server 2012r2) and router/gateway addresses the scope assigns.
have not tried to dig into an logs to see if anything shows there.
Message 40 of 65
IcyK
Tutor

Any chance of publishing the kernel source?

😉

Message 41 of 65
Sliquid
Tutor

I had an instance where my SMB shares were inaccessible but DLNA was up and running. had to force a reboot on the NAS in order to correct it. SMB shares are still slow to list or refresh since installing this RC

Message 42 of 65
Sliquid
Tutor

Just had another incident where the NAS dropped off the network completely while we were streaming dlna content. SMB and DLNA devices were unable to access the NAS. Had to hard reboot it, might wanna note that.
Message 43 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@IcyK wrote:

😉

You can get the 6.3.5 GPL on the GPL page: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/~/gpl-open-source-code-for-programmers

Message 44 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Sliquid sounds you like may have run into an early access issue for the 100 series that will be addressed in a future firmware release.

Message 45 of 65
IcyK
Tutor

@mdgm wrote:

@IcyK wrote:

😉

You can get the 6.3.5 GPL on the GPL page: http://kb.netgear.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/2649/~/gpl-open-source-code-for-programmers

Thanks mdgm!

I assumed only non-beta sources would be published. So I should assume less and verify more...  😞

Message 46 of 65
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

@IcyK wrote:

@mdgm wrote:

@IcyK wrote:

😉

Thanks mdgm!

I assumed only non-beta sources would be published. So I should assume less and verify more...  😞

Well 6.3.5 has been released now for the 200 series only, which is why the GPL was published.

Message 47 of 65
vinniemac
Luminary

Hi All,

First time posting on these forums but have vast experience with Netgear products.

Loaded 6.3.5-RC2 on my RN312 NAS and I have noticed that emailing links from ReadyCLOUD is no longer working.

I get a confirmation that the link has been sent to the designated recipitent(s) but the email is never received.

I know often that links sent via ReadyCLOUD can be blocked so I had tested via my Personal email account (Yahoo), my hotmail account and also my google account. All of which did not receive the link.

A friend of mine has a ReadyNAS and I can receive his links no problem to my personal account (Yahoo)

Second to doing a full factory reset and backing up 2TB worth of data, anyone able to shed any light on this? All software for ReadyCLOUD is up to date and working and all services are working in the ReadyNAS for ReadyCLOUD and switched on.

Best Wishes

Vince

Message 48 of 65
mikes512
Aspirant

Had an incident where the RN2120v2 dropped off the network. Heavily loaded iSCSI. - It is the backup repository for VMware vSphere Data Protection. Reverted back to V6.2.4

Message 49 of 65
vinniemac
Luminary

Just found out that my issue with email links not being sent is down to Microsoft Edge. For some reason they cannot be sent from this browser, however after testing Firefox and Internet Explorer I can confirm these working.

Not sure if Microsoft Edge or just comptability issues at this stage as Microsoft Edge is new and Windows 10 has barely been released.

Cheers

Message 50 of 65
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements