× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS 6.4.0-T127 (Beta 3) Issues - RN314

claytonb
Aspirant

ReadyNAS OS 6.4.0-T127 (Beta 3) Issues - RN314

I am having a few issues with my RN314

I am using the latest ReadyCLOUD beta version and still can not connect to my NAS unit, says connecting then says offline, I have gone into the web based cloud and discovered the drive ok.

Also I can not see the NAS unit on my Panasonic TV, I have gone into the system services and noticed the ReadyDLNA was unchecked so I check it and went back to the TV the next day and it dissapeared again and unchecked in system services.

The most alarming thing is after 2 years using this unit I have been getting email notications about volume exceeds 80% and the unit is shutting down etc, only yesterday I was playing around with the new RAIDar v6.0 software and I saw a Diagnostic tab which I clicked on and tells me there is a problem with Disk 3, so I shut down the unit and took out Disk 3 and checked it for issues and has 55 bad sectors, why wasn't I notified of this by email? I have disk failure check under alerts.

Message 1 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.4.0-T127 (Beta 3) Issues - RN314

Are you using the beta ReadyCLOUD version downloaded from readycloud-test2.netgear.com ? That is needed for 6.4.0 beta.

Can you send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 2 of 17
claytonb
Aspirant

Logs sent.

Yes, I am using v1.7.1205.335

Message 3 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You should have got some emails about that disk but the error count last increased back in May.

Do you have a backup?

Message 4 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

55 reallocated sectors is well within spec for a hard drive.  In general, a drive vendor won't consider a disk to be bad until it has thousands of bad sectors, or a steadily increasing bad sector count.

Message 5 of 17
claytonb
Aspirant

I replaced the hard drive and everything is ok now, no. I didn't get any notifications about the bad drive

Message 6 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@Skywalker wrote:

55 reallocated sectors is well within spec for a hard drive.  In general, a drive vendor won't consider a disk to be bad until it has thousands of bad sectors, or a steadily increasing bad sector count.

I replace them before they reach 50 myself.

Drive vendors would of course rather not replace them under warranty.

Message 7 of 17
claytonb
Aspirant

I would have replaced it after 1, if it had notified me, not sure if heat was a factor as it was in slot 3 and the replacement drive is reading around 48 degrees

Message 8 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

If the error count is stable, there's probably nothing to worry about.  I personally have a drive in active use at home that has more than 214 reallocated sectors, and it's stayed that way for more than 4 years without ever causing an issue.

Message 9 of 17
claytonb
Aspirant

But if it was still under warranty you would RMA it?

Message 10 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

In my experience, the manufacturer generally won't grant an RMA unless it fails their diagnostic tool; 214 reallocated sectors certainly won't cause diagnostics to fail.

Message 11 of 17
claytonb
Aspirant

Not sure if I read reallocated sectors or bad blocks, I sent it back to my supplier yesterday and will see what happens.

Message 12 of 17
StephenB
Guru

One of the difficult things in doing disk reliability studies is that people do use different thresholds to define failure. Personally I do an initial diag pass when I receive a disk, and if it has any bad sectors (pending or reallocated) I exchange it.  When I see allocated sectors or pending sectors start to rise, I pull the disk.  Generally I won't let it reach 50.  I wouldn't leave a disk with hundreds of bad sectors in service in a NAS.  Even if I couldn't RMA it, I would still replace it.

If the counts are increasing (even slowly) I also figure there are more undetected bad sectors that haven't been found yet. One tip- the destructive write test in the diags will often pick up failed sectors that the normal long diag will miss.  I've had several cases where that tipped the the vendor diags from a "pass" to a "fail".

@Skywalker wrote:

In my experience, the manufacturer generally won't grant an RMA unless it fails their diagnostic tool; 214 reallocated sectors certainly won't cause diagnostics to fail.

Seagate will let you do an RMA w/o their tool, they have a set of published codes you can enter.  Likely an accomodation to Apple users and laptop-only folks who literally can't run their tool.  I've used those codes w/o pushback from them.  Not sure about Western Digital (I've only had to RMA one WDC drive; I have a lot more practice with Seagate).

I'm certain I have RMA'd drives with fewer failed sectors than 214, though I don't recall the exact numbers.  Neither Seagate nor WDC have ever challenged one of my RMAs.  Though bad sectors isn't the only thing their diags look for.

One thing to keep in mind is that sectors are only reallocated on writes, if the bad sector is detected on a read then it increments the pending sector count.  So you do need to sum them when accessing disk health.

Message 13 of 17
vinniemac
Luminary

Normally Manufacturers have a fault tolerance level before they will accept a Drive for RMA, with the exception of Solid State Drives which have special testing mechanisms at the Manufacturer test sites.

Also some manufacturers do not rate their drives for NAS use - so care should be taken if an RMA is to be processed.

Thankfully, as I am a bit of an enthusiast I normally upgrade my drives to bigger storage capacity drives long before they kick the can or show signs of stress.

I also use WD Reds for my NAS with NASware 3.0 - Mainly because 3.0 supports more than 2 drives in tandem. Earlier versions of NASware seem to as well but of course this may not be supported by the manufacturer if a drive fails in a 'more than 2 drive scenario'...

Would I RMA a drive with several bad sectors if still in Warrantee and it met the threshold? Absolutely, if the drive is in a NAS with mirroring as it is easy to hotswap and rebuild the array. Single span? I'm not so sure unless the NAS gave me clear indicators that the drive was failing or files on the NAS started to become currupt.

Just my 2 cents worth...

Message 14 of 17
StephenB
Guru

@vinniemac wrote:

I also use WD Reds for my NAS with NASware 3.0 - Mainly because 3.0 supports more than 2 drives in tandem. Earlier versions of NASware seem to as well but of course this may not be supported by the manufacturer if a drive fails in a 'more than 2 drive scenario'...

Western Digital explicitly certified the WD Red's with ReadyNAS at launch, so I don't see any chance of pushback from them.  I did RMA one WD Red (out of the 11 I have installed) and there were no questions on what RAID mode was used or how many disks were in the array.

Manufacturers do have a threshold, and they reserve the right to enforce it.  Whether they actually do check their returns is another question of course.  I suspect "no trouble found" drives just get recertified and passed on to someone else.

Message 15 of 17
claytonb
Aspirant

I have had several recertified Segates back but not a Western Digital, mine you this is the first WD drive I have returned, my supplier will replace the drive outright if they still stock that model otherwise it gets sent back to Singapore and I get a recertified one a couple of weeks later.

I brought a Seagate 120GB SSD for a customer about 18 months ago and it started reporting over temp of 70 degrees and I sent it back for RMA and my supplier said we don't have any instock anymore and credited the drive @ 100%

Message 16 of 17
claytonb
Aspirant

Got a brand new WD4000F9YZ under warranty today. these drives are worth US$300

Message 17 of 17
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements