× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0 on Legacy ReadyNas Pro

pong1
Aspirant

ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0 on Legacy ReadyNas Pro

I've an old RadyNas Pro 4 Bay running 6.7.5 without problems. But no update to 6.8.0 available. I also tried a manula update but got an "unknown server error".

the macos enhancements would be interesting for me 😉

(waaaaah, wrong category, but no idea how to move the post, sorry)

Message 1 of 33

Accepted Solutions
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0 on Legacy ReadyNas Pro

The reason you see this is because of changes in chrome. We fixed the errors in 6.8.0 and they no longer appear. To avoid the issue, you'll need to upgrade to 6.8.0, whether through our kb, or our update server. Note: we post our update to the kb first then wait 1 week before posting to update server. 

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 33

All Replies
StephenB
Guru

I'm not sure what's causing the unknown server error - I saw it on my RN526x, but not the RN524x.

Try manually installing using https://nas-ip-address/fwbroker (using the real IP of course).  That worked for me.

Unzip the download of course.

Message 2 of 33
Ribbit74
Initiate

I got the same error on my Ultra 2+.

I dismissed the dialog, refreshed the page, and then got another popup telling me the firmware would be installed after a reboot.

After that, it was all normal, and 6.8.0 runs fine. So I think you can safely ignore that error message.

Message 3 of 33
pong1
Aspirant

strange enough i did none of both and have 6.8.0 now. after getting the error 2 times i shutdown the nas. today i booted to try your solutions and 6.8.0 was installed. so it seems even when getting the server error the update is prepared in the background for the next reboot.

Message 4 of 33
Marty_M
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello pong1,

The concern might refer to the browser error, please refer to the KB article here.

Regards,
Marty_M 
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@Marty_M wrote:

The concern might refer to the browser error, please refer to the KB article here

It looks like it. Hopefully Netgear is working on a fix, as it is rather confusing.

Message 6 of 33
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

The reason you see this is because of changes in chrome. We fixed the errors in 6.8.0 and they no longer appear. To avoid the issue, you'll need to upgrade to 6.8.0, whether through our kb, or our update server. Note: we post our update to the kb first then wait 1 week before posting to update server. 

Message 7 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@kohdee, thx for the update.

Message 8 of 33
pong_ka
Aspirant

thanks for clearing up. but i think the problem is not only limited to chrome, in fact for me it happend on firefox 54.0.1 (first try) and then without rebooting the readynas on safari 10.1.2 (yes, i'm on a mac).

the after the reboot the update took place.

Message 9 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0 on Legacy ReadyNas Pro - How to upgrade?

Hi All,

We're getting ready to do a major storage upgrade to our ReadyNAS Pro 6. All drives will be backed up and replaced with larger new drives so we're starting from scratch.

As part of this process, we want to finally make the jump from OS 4.2 to OS 6.

Is there anything special we need to do to install OS 6 on our legacy hardware or can we simply download the latest 6.8.0 firmware .bin here:

https://kb.netgear.com/000045831/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-8-0

and install from RAIDiator once we get up and running withn our new drives? Anything else we need to know to make sure the process goes smoothly?

Thanks for your help!

--David

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP6000|ReadyNAS Pro 6 Chassis only
Message 10 of 33
StephenB
Guru

You can't install 6.8.0 directly on top of 4.2.  

1. Install the Prep add-on

2. Install the R4toR6_latest.bin
3. Do the reboot you are prompted to do.

This will destroy all the data on the installed disks.

You might want to check your bios version - if you want to update your bios, it's easier to do that before you upgrade to OS 6.

Message 11 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

Thanks @StephenB.

No worries about losing data, we're using fresh, empty disks.

Question - once we install R4toR6_latest.bin, do we then download the latest version of OS 6 from the downloads page or do we always need to use R4toR6_latest.bin to update moving forward?

Re: BIOS - I think we're current, but will check. Is this the right thread for the update?

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/ReadyNAS-Pro-6-BIOS-Update-Request/m-p/1076393#...

Thanks!

Message 12 of 33
linkup1
Aspirant

Not sure if I should write this here, or create a new topic. About a year ago I upgraded my RNDP6350 to OS6.5.  The system was down since June due to a PS which I just fixed and brought the system up.  It is letting me know that 6.8 is available.  Should I let it do the update?  Part of my concern is when I read the 6.8 announcement, the Biz Pro 6350 model is not listed as a compatible model.

Thanks!

Message 13 of 33
StephenB
Guru

@linkup1 wrote:

Part of my concern is when I read the 6.8 announcement, the Biz Pro 6350 model is not listed as a compatible model.

OS-6 isn't supported on ReadyNAS pro or ultra models - though of course it can be installed.

I'd let it do the update.  Though there are some issues with apps- so uninstall any apps you have installed now, and then reinstall afterwards.

Message 14 of 33
linkup1
Aspirant

Hello,  I am not getting the concept of "not supported".  I realize the OS wasn't available when the model was introduced, and you no longer support the box so the whole thing isn't a supported product at this point.  However, since it is a box you sold and it is an OS that works on it, then I am not understanding the "not supported" part of it.

I have Plex installed which I am not using as the box isn't powerful enough and I don't care for the app.  I do want to install something the UPS can tell it needs the box to shut down as I just had to replace a power supply when the box was brought up twice in a few seconds mistakenly after it had died when the UPS died.

Thanks

Message 15 of 33
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

NETGEAR doesn't build ReadyNAS OS 6 to work on RAIDiator 4.2 boxes, but some of the models can run OS 6 via third party tools to make changes to the hardware. Making this conversion of the box unsupported by NETGEAR. 

Because we don't officially make ReadyNAS OS 6 to work on RAIDiator boxes, you may run into situations that may not be accounted, since we build for current generation ReadyNAS hardware models, and backwards compatiblity might not always be there. This is one reason why NETGEAR does not support OS 6 on RAIDiator 4.2 machines. 

Message 16 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

Quick question -

I'll be doing the switch from RAIDiator 4.2 to ReadyNAS OS 6 with a new set of drives. Since the software requires a factory default, I'm assuming I don't need to wait for the new RAID set to be fully synched before I run the 4to6 firware update. Is the correct?

Thanks!

Message 17 of 33
Sandshark
Sensei

I wouldn't think so.  But when I made the move I put a single old 320MB in and let 4.x install, then did the conversion, then powered off and installed the drives that were the final ones.  With the single drive installed, there was nothing to sync and I could check the conversion before putting in the final array.

Message 18 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@Sandshark wrote:

I wouldn't think so.  But when I made the move I put a single old 320MB in and let 4.x install, then did the conversion, then powered off and installed the drives that were the final ones.  With the single drive installed, there was nothing to sync and I could check the conversion before putting in the final array.

Hmmm, I can certainly do that too. But it would be a change of plans and it would be good to know if it's necessary before I begin. Our new RAID set is 5 8TB drives so the sync time will be significant.

@StephenB and @mdgm-ntgr - What's the official word on sync before firmware upgrade? Thanks!

Message 19 of 33
StephenB
Guru

It's a waste of time to let the sync complete before switching to OS 6, because the conversion starts with a factory reset - which will just sync again.

I'd probably do the conversion with one of the new disks installed ,and then hot-insert the rest right after the reboot step.

Message 20 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@StephenB wrote:

It's a waste of time to let the sync complete before switching to OS 6, because the conversion starts with a factory reset - which will just sync again.

I'd probably do the conversion with one of the new disks installed ,and then hot-insert the rest right after the reboot step.

Perfect, will do. Thank you @StephenB!

Message 21 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0 on Legacy ReadyNas Pro - CPU Fan 0 RPM and password recovery error

6.8.0 installed just fine on our Pro 6 but a couple errors have cropped up:

The CPU fan is reporting 0 RPM (even though I've confirmed all fans are spinning)

Screen Shot 2017-09-12 at 12.15.04 AM.png

Also, I'm getting this error when trying to set a password recovery email (email is correctly set up in alerts):

Screen Shot 2017-09-11 at 10.35.54 PM.png

@StephenB@mdgm-ntgr any advice?

Thanks! 

Message 22 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

Re: ReadyNAS OS 6.8.0 on Legacy ReadyNas Pro - CPU Fan 0 RPM error

Solved the password recovery error but still getting one for CPU fan 0.

Message 23 of 33
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

A reboot might fix it.  The history of ReadyNAS Pro was a little quirky.  The CPU fan could have been connected to either of two fan connectors on the motherboard.  So during boot time, we check to see which connecter is reporting 0 RPM, and then we configure the OS to use the other connector.  It's possible that somehow we got a temporary bad reading from one connector, and thus decided to use it for CPU fan monitoring.

If a reboot doesn't fix it, please you send in your logs.

Message 24 of 33
dhl
Luminary
Luminary

@Skywalker wrote:

A reboot might fix it.  The history of ReadyNAS Pro was a little quirky.  The CPU fan could have been connected to either of two fan connectors on the motherboard.  So during boot time, we check to see which connecter is reporting 0 RPM, and then we configure the OS to use the other connector.  It's possible that somehow we got a temporary bad reading from one connector, and thus decided to use it for CPU fan monitoring.

If a reboot doesn't fix it, please you send in your logs.

@Skywalker Thanks for the reply.

This is a Pro Pioneer that was firmware upgraded to Pro 6 after it went out of warranty. We also did a CPU upgrade in 2014 to an E6700 SL9ZF which worked great. My post is mid-page:

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Community-Add-ons/More-on-CPU-specs-of-the-ReadyNAS-Pro/td-p/635055...

When we did the CPU upgrade, we also did this CPU fan speed control service modification:

https://kb.netgear.com/12240/Service-Action-for-x86-ReadyNAS-Pro-CPU-fan-speed-control

Could this service action be causing the error in OS6?

Thanks for your help!

Message 25 of 33
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 32 replies
  • 13 kudos
  • 11 in conversation
Announcements