× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNASOS 6.6.0-T117 (Beta 2) - My bugs so far :-)

kejones
Tutor

ReadyNASOS 6.6.0-T117 (Beta 2) - My bugs so far :-)

Hiya,

The current beta looks great 🙂 As with all things those I had a few glitches happen. I can't vouch for these all being specific to the current beta (or a normal problem because I tweaked-with-putty(tm)) but hopefully someone else might have the same issues 🙂

1) My 4220x still refuses to see power supplies despite a fix being noted in the T117

kern.log has lines saying;

syslog has lines saying;

rn-expand[5235]: PSU read voltage b2 err [-11] state [-22], will retry[retry=4]

rn-expand[5235]: PSU read voltage b0 err [-11] state [-22], will retry[retry=4]

2) Clicking on the "Admin Password" button takes me to the Accounts ---> Users panel.

3) Backups are failing to copy files whose source path contain a fullstop at the end of a foldername.

ie \\server\share\folder1\folder2\folder3.\folder4\blah.txt will fail becuase of the dot after folder3.

I hope that's helpful.

Best Reagrds,

Keith

Model: RN4220X|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T
Message 1 of 8
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: ReadyNASOS 6.6.0-T117 (Beta 2) - My bugs so far :-)

Did this go away after installing final 6.6?

Message 2 of 8
kejones
Tutor

Hi Roland,

I'm so sorry for not responding earlier but my RL is a bit crazy. Unfortunately no, but that's with the corollary that I undoubtably broke stuff and mgdm has been wonderful to keep in touch admirably to give me a chance to work this through offline.

As it stands;

a) The PSU problems still exist through a number of firmware upgrades but it's not easy to determine if they're a software issue or just simply a hardware issue.

- I'm thinking the latter but I'm waiting for a new box to arrive so I should hopefully be able to clear this up soon!

b) The backup problem still exists too but it's not going to be easy for the team to handle the scenario I have and I don't want to cause a problem!

- It's turning out to be a very bespoke and local issue because I'm trying to back up a file share that is used by PC *AND* Mac users and subject to the worst case scenario of layering loads of cross-platform translation problems on top of each other.

Regards,

Keith

Message 3 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kejones,

You might want to try 6.7.0-T180 (Beta 3).

Regards,

Message 4 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kejones,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 

If your issue is now resolved, we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” or post what resolved it and mark it as solution so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 5 of 8
kejones
Tutor

Hi JennC,

Thanks for the followup. Yes... actually I've been trying ever release I can get my hands on (even the internal T172). T180 currently falls over after about 10 minutes in a similar way to goodrip12's report (only without any easily accessible hints). It runs for a while, you get a noticable slowdown over a SSH conenction and then eventually the network connections disappear.  I'll try a nice clean USB OS re-install tomorrow. Hopefully that will start things from scratch in more ways than one.

Regards,

Keith

PS: I can mark this as resolved if you wish. It's not directly but that's just more about my complicated scenario than a common issue.

Model: RN4220X|ReadyNAS 4220 10Gbase-T
Message 6 of 8
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kejones,

As much as possible we would like to the real solution marked as accepted solution. 🙂 

In case none of the posts solved the issue you are facing and you were able to solve it, post the solution and mark it as a solution.

Regards,

Message 7 of 8
kejones
Tutor

Thanks JennC,

I'll try be good then and report back :-).

Rough update:

I've re-installed a few times via the OS-reinstall method. I'm currently running 6.7.0-T180 but I've been to T206 and then backed down to see if the database upgrades got broken. I'll try a T206 upgrade again tomorrow (if I can get some time to play) to try and check that there's not bad settings that ReadyNasOS isn't quite expecting.

The good news is;

a) that the PSU problems have gone with the re-install. Yey! Just locally triggered detritus I guess!

The bad news is;

a) The Admin password page still doesn't go anywhere useful. Probably local detritus still 🙂

b) The backup issues are still present (but not relevant to normal folks :-))

c) The crashing is still there and seemingly consistent with the symptoms a few have mentioned on a macro level.

Essentially at the moment;

When in RO-mode, my system;

- Boots nicely with the expected side-effects of working with a RO volume

- The UI works nicely (apps start working etc)

- Eveything looks okay.

When in RW-mode, my system;

- Fails to get a UI response past the initial login and loading screen.

- SSH sessions work for a while then eventually stall and disconnect (sometimes they don't disconnect cleanly)

- The unit becomes unresponsive to front controls

- Pings still work but the lights aren't on and no-one is home from SSH.

I'd previously fiddled with log locations to cover the PSU messages flooding them, but I think I've got them back into normal shape enough to pass some back now to the team (Sorry!). Those logs suggest something pretty deeply wrong with BTRFS that causes a kernel panic and leads to all processes accessing files on the /data volume to slowly grind to a halt whilst they wait for BTRFS to recover when it can't..

As far as I can tell that's big unrequited problem with BTRFS at the moment. I'll PM mdgm and skywalker when I have a chance! I think there's a pattern here that might cause issues across the board.

Regards,

Keith

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements