× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

ReadyNASOS-6-7-1-T244-Beta-1 - Out Of Memory errors

itsjasper
Luminary

ReadyNASOS-6-7-1-T244-Beta-1 - Out Of Memory errors

I have been getting Out Of Memory errors on my ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus on both 6.7.0 and 6.7.1-T244 beta during rsync copies.  The unit becomes unresponsive, the LCD screen shows "out_of_memory+2f9" and I cannot see the unit in RAIDAR.  A forced shutdown from holding the power button is all that I can do at this point.

This is on a fresh install, running 3x 6TB Seagate ST6000DX000 disks, setup as X-RAID in RAID 5, and four SMB shares created. Snapshots were disabled at setup, volume quotas has been turned on, AV is disabled.  

I have tried an OS reinstall without any success in preventing the OOM errors.  I have captured logs if required.

Model: ReadyNAS RNDP400U|ReadyNAS Ultra 4 Plus Chassis only
Message 1 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

Re: ReadyNASOS-6-7-1-T244-Beta-1 - Out Of Memory errors

I usually had quota accounting disabled, but I recently modified the config of a share and forgot to disable the quotas again. As I was running 6.7.0, I was hit by the OOM issue too. So just updated to 6.7.1 Beta 1.

Like you, I'm using rsync backup jobs, so I'll keep an eye on it to see I run into an OOM condition again. I seriously hope not.

Message 2 of 8
itsjasper
Luminary

The only reason I have volume quotas on is to see each share size, I don't need any further functionality or use.  

I'm waiting on a 2GB SO-DIMM to throw into it to try to reduce the OOM occurrences whilst I am copying data.  Having to bounce the NAS almost-daily and re-run rsync jobs is a little annoying, but manageable.

mdgm, I've now sent logs to the address in your sig.

Message 3 of 8
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Well the logs do indicate you have a new snapshots on each of your Pictures, Music and Documents share.

The processes using lots of memory were the management service and the p2p service used for our cloud services such as ReadyCLOUD.

Message 4 of 8
itsjasper
Luminary

Ah yes, the three default shares created their first snapshot.  I have since disabled snapshots on those and delete the snapshot.  Incidentally, those shares have not been used yet there was supposedly 9.77GB of snapshots created in total, is that normal for three empty shares?

I have installed the 2GB RAM SO-DIMM now, and have noticed an immediate improvement in UI responsiveness. I would hope not to hit OOM errors now, I'll start a 4TB rsync and see how it fares... 🙂

Message 5 of 8
jak0lantash
Mentor

@itsjasper wrote:

those shares have not been used

If they're not used, why not deleting them?

Message 6 of 8
itsjasper
Luminary

@jak0lantash wrote:

@itsjasper wrote:

those shares have not been used

If they're not used, why not deleting them?

Because I plan to use them! 🙂 I'm copying data over first, then I will sort content into those folders.

As an additional note, rsync performance has lifted with the additional memory, from around 35-40MB/sec to a steady 55MB/sec.  That is on a three disk RAID set. I'd expect a further improvement when I add the final disk in next payday. 🙂

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@itsjasper wrote:

Incidentally, those shares have not been used yet there was supposedly 9.77GB of snapshots created in total, is that normal for three empty shares?

A snapshot of an empty share shouldn't take any space (other than perhaps a bit of metadata).  But overall, tracking space usage is a bit challenging with the btrfs file system (with any COW system really), so the reported statistics might be off a bit.

There's nothing magic about the default shares - you can delete them you can just recreate them.

@itsjasper wrote:

I'm copying data over first, then I will sort content into those folders.

Generally moving files between shares ends up being done as a copy/delete operation (much slower than a normal move).  It might be faster overall to reorganize the data before you copy it. 

Message 8 of 8
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements