× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: Readynas Ultra 2 and OS6 - What are the HDD size limits?

paltrude
Aspirant

Readynas Ultra 2 and OS6 - What are the HDD size limits?

I have two Barracuda XT ST33000651AS (3TB) which are working fine, however, should I need or want to replace these disks it would be interesting to know which models and sizes that are supported.

The Readynas HCL states that 3 TB is the limit while using Readynas OS 4, is this hardware or software related (ie chipset/bios/os)?

Does OS6 allow me to use larger HDD:s than 3TB on legacy hardware?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 5

Accepted Solutions
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Larger capacity disks than 3TB may work on the Ultra 2 but YMMV. Some users have used e.g. 6TB disks.

However OS6 does not have the expansion limitations that OS4 has. The expansion limitations wouldn't be relevant to a 2-bay unit though till higher capacity disks than 8TB are available.

As for what the capacity limit of what will work at this point it is unknown. We will have to wait and see when users try still higher capacity disks released in the future.

View solution in original post

Message 2 of 5

All Replies
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Larger capacity disks than 3TB may work on the Ultra 2 but YMMV. Some users have used e.g. 6TB disks.

However OS6 does not have the expansion limitations that OS4 has. The expansion limitations wouldn't be relevant to a 2-bay unit though till higher capacity disks than 8TB are available.

As for what the capacity limit of what will work at this point it is unknown. We will have to wait and see when users try still higher capacity disks released in the future.

Message 2 of 5
Rootax
Luminary

I've 2*5Tb Western Digital RED drives in my Ultra 2, in RAID-0.  I'm on OS6 now, but it was working great under 4.2.2.X too.

But I never extended or migrate a volume, it was created from the start with theses drives.

Message 3 of 5
paltrude
Aspirant

@mdgm Thanks for the explanation!

Message 4 of 5
paltrude
Aspirant

@Rootax Your english is just fine.

So 5TB was no trouble then? That is good news!

I am thinking that maybe, just maybe, I will buy something larger than 5TB and try for myself in the future.

Will post my results then.

Message 5 of 5
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements