× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Self signed certificate error in Chrome 58

kevin_marchant
Aspirant

Self signed certificate error in Chrome 58

Google have changed cert validation in Chrome 58 to use SAN rather than Common Name

https://alexanderzeitler.com/articles/Fixing-Chrome-missing_subjectAltName-selfsigned-cert-openssl/

This is causing my 316's with self signed certs to throw SSL errors and the admin panel fails to load.  Not a problem - I just use IE to access but you may want to change the SSL Cert generation code to populate SAN as well as CN to clear the error.

Running 6.7.1 - and I've tried regenerating the cert as well.

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
kevin_marchant
Aspirant

Re: Self signed certificate error in Chrome 58

Perfect - Chrome 58 working again.  

Obviously I needed to regen the certificate (needed to change SSL Key host twice, away from current value and back again - second time lucky 🙂 )  - and then remove old cert from certificate store and reinstall new one.

One other gotcha for others to be aware of - you can't use IP address for SSL Key host - needs to be a name

Thanks to @Skywalker

Kevin

View solution in original post

Message 7 of 9

All Replies
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kevin_marchant,

We apologize for this inconvenience. I think this is best to be posted as a suggestion at the idea exchange board.

Regards,

Message 2 of 9
kevin_marchant
Aspirant

Thanks Jenn

You need to support Chrome changes as they come out.  Can you forward this to Skywalker so he can fix it.  Suggestions on the OpenSSL changes needed to ensure the self-signed cert the OS generates includes the hostname in the SAN are included in my bug report.

This is not an idea - you regularly have changed the firmware to support new browser releases, and this scuppers the use of Chrome completely.

Message 3 of 9
kevin_marchant
Aspirant

PS Skywalker just PM'd me to say it'll hopefully be fixed in 6.7.3 for any others interested.

Message 4 of 9
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hello kevin_marchant,

Thanks for letting me know. I've also reported this to the higher tier of support team I've found no issue ticket from them regarding this SSL error on Chrome 58.

Regards,

Message 5 of 9
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Message 6 of 9
kevin_marchant
Aspirant

Perfect - Chrome 58 working again.  

Obviously I needed to regen the certificate (needed to change SSL Key host twice, away from current value and back again - second time lucky 🙂 )  - and then remove old cert from certificate store and reinstall new one.

One other gotcha for others to be aware of - you can't use IP address for SSL Key host - needs to be a name

Thanks to @Skywalker

Kevin

Message 7 of 9
kevin_marchant
Aspirant

PROBLEM UPDATING SECOND RND316

First one went perfectly.  Second one with EDA500 attached giving

Checking root FS

Err: Could not properly extract ..
lcd_panic_handle
r+7d

HELP !!

@Skywalker

Message 8 of 9
kevin_marchant
Aspirant

Just a quick thanks to @skywalker for sorting my problem out - potentially nothing to do with the new firmware but rather lack of free space that he's looking at separately.

Kevin

Model: RN31600|ReadyNAS 300 Series 6- Bay
Message 9 of 9
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements