× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Still waiting for 4.1.15 final (or higher)

owentje1
Aspirant

Still waiting for 4.1.15 final (or higher)

Why isn't there any final version of 4.1.15 or higher? It's kinda sad that Netgear is not paying any attention to the users of the older generation and making any product updates. I actually have 7 ReadyNAS units, but my experience with the support of Netgear had been really bad since the Infrant guys left Netgear.

One thing is for sure, I won't buy any ReadyNAS product in the future (unless something really changes at Netgear) due to bad support.

Model: ReadyNAS-NV+|ReadyNAS NV+
Message 1 of 8

Accepted Solutions
StephenB
Guru

Re: Still waiting for 4.1.15 final (or higher)

@owentje1 wrote:

Why isn't there any final version of 4.1.15 or higher?

4.1.15 was in beta for way too long, but it was eventually released: https://kb.netgear.com/30914/RAIDiator-Version-4-1-15-Sparc?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

While I'd like to see security updates go on forever, I suspect that becomes too expensive at some point.  The NV+ is the same vintage as Vista, so I think it is time to let the sparc go.  

OS 4.2 is more like WIn7 - and IMO Netgear should have followed Microsoft's lead by providing free supported upgrades to OS 6.  They've ended up tacitly doing the development work anyway, and going the whole way waould have simplified their support.

OS 5 is a puzzle - the v2 platforms don't really have the resources for OS 6, and IMO the firmware never matured.  A trade-in program might have helped I guess.

View solution in original post

Message 4 of 8

All Replies
Retired_Member
Not applicable

May I ask what 7 READYNAS you have and when you put them into production? Just to understand the severity of your complaint and to build my own opinion. I have 2 of them RN104 and RN204 mostly for filesharing, music, fotos and videos and I'm ok so far. Thanks in advance.

Message 2 of 8
owentje1
Aspirant

I have 1 NV+, and the others are NVX & Pro 4 models (and I forgot about 2x Pro 2s, so 9 in total). They've been put in production somewhere between 2011 & 2014. 

It's not that I have a huge issue with them... It's more about security updates.

What I meant with bad support is, is that I've had some issues with for example ReadyNAS Replicate that I bought as a service, but after a reinstall due to a crash of one of the boxes, the license couldn't be applied anymore (because it was 'in use'). Netgear support refused to help me while the devices were still under warranty, because it was a non hardware issue. They would only help me when I would use a 'Pay per incident' option from them (even though it was their server side issue).

Message 3 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@owentje1 wrote:

Why isn't there any final version of 4.1.15 or higher?

4.1.15 was in beta for way too long, but it was eventually released: https://kb.netgear.com/30914/RAIDiator-Version-4-1-15-Sparc?cid=wmt_netgear_organic

While I'd like to see security updates go on forever, I suspect that becomes too expensive at some point.  The NV+ is the same vintage as Vista, so I think it is time to let the sparc go.  

OS 4.2 is more like WIn7 - and IMO Netgear should have followed Microsoft's lead by providing free supported upgrades to OS 6.  They've ended up tacitly doing the development work anyway, and going the whole way waould have simplified their support.

OS 5 is a puzzle - the v2 platforms don't really have the resources for OS 6, and IMO the firmware never matured.  A trade-in program might have helped I guess.

Message 4 of 8
owentje1
Aspirant

Thnx! My ReadyNAS couldn't find it itself... I guess it has something to do with the final release being the same version as the last beta.

I do agree that the NV+ is quite old, but I wouldn't call it as vintage as Vista. The reason is that the NV+ was still being sold in 2013, and normally servers have 5 years of support, which means support till 2018. (Many of the security updates could be just regular debian security updates)

Message 5 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@owentje1 wrote:

Thnx! My ReadyNAS couldn't find it itself... I guess it has something to do with the final release being the same version as the last beta.

I do agree that the NV+ is quite old, but I wouldn't call it as vintage as Vista. The reason is that the NV+ was still being sold in 2013,

It was introduced in 2007 (and was based on the Infrant NV which was 2006 I think).  That's Vista vintage (at launch anyway).

It was replaced by the NV+ v2 in Nov 2011 - if you purchased in 2013 you were probably getting old inventory.  Even the v2's were being phased out by OS 6.

The end of support announcement was the second half of 2016, which is (almost) 5 years from the v2 replacement.

I'm still running my own NV+ v1 (and a duo v1) for backup.  But I keep them strictly on my home network, and they are powered down when backups aren't running.

Message 6 of 8
owentje1
Aspirant

I understand it was old stock, but still offered by Netgear. In my ReadyNAS training in 2011/2012 (I was a presales trainer for Netgear), we still discussed the NV+.

I don't expect feature updates, but at least security updates.

Message 7 of 8
StephenB
Guru

@owentje1 wrote:

I don't expect feature updates, but at least security updates.

I'm prepared to let that go with my v1 products, but I don't expect everyone to agree.  So I get your disappointment on this.

Message 8 of 8
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 7 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements