× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: T28 may still have the network dropout problem??

tlyczko
Tutor

T28 may still have the network dropout problem??

I have since installing T28 experienced the problems in these threads:

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60222

viewtopic.php?f=51&t=58187

No firmware updates available for the drives involved, am turning off hard drive spindown for awhile to see if that helps any.

Have a case open with Netgear but don't expect much there...

MANUAL reboot is required...it's as though the ReadyNAS's networking is "clogged" and won't let anything in.

Thank you, Tom
Message 1 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Did you have any issues with 4.2.19? What version did this issue start happening? Do you have any addons installed? Does it happen just idle? Any errors in the logs?
Message 2 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

It happened many many times with 4.2.19 and 4.2.17.

I opened case with Netgear on it earlier this week, THEY suggested installing T28, which worked well a couple days, then crapped out again, unpredictable when it will crap out again.

addons: replicate (not used).

I have frequently had to MANUALLY restart the NAS because the networking does not work...aka walk to the NAS, hold down the blue button, press the blue button again.

I find it difficult to believe that a maker of *network* storage servers cannot create reliable network/driver software.
We'll keep the ReadyNASes we have, we're stuck with them, but I won't buy any more, that's for sure!! Too unreilable so far.

If you want logs you can have them. 🙂 Where would you like them sent?? 🙂

Thank you, Tom
Message 3 of 62
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

To send the logs to Chewbacca see the "How to Send Logs" link in his sig. Would be a good idea to mention roughly when one of the dropouts on T28 occurred (many of the logs are timestamped so this might help identify the problem quickly).
Message 4 of 62
btaroli
Prodigy

I'm the OP on the 60222 thread mentioned above. I just had this happen again to mine running T28. This first happened to me on T19 and was quickly reproduced after upgrading to T23. T28 ran for several days without issue, until now. You'll find my list of add-ons in 60222. I'll go ahead and submit logs from mine as well.
Message 5 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

I *have* sent logs to Chewbacca. Netgear is having me test with active backup teaming first and then no teaming. Must wait till tomorrow to submit logs.
Message 6 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

tlyczko: I saw the dropped packs also. I would try with no teaming to see if it happens.. I didn't see anything else odd in your logs yet. Does it hang just sitting idle?

btaroli: Im looking at your logs now.. Ill get back to you.
Message 7 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

btaroli: Do you still have issues if you disable transmission? I see a lot of messages in your logs for transmission.
Message 8 of 62
btaroli
Prodigy

Chewbacca wrote:
btaroli: Do you still have issues if you disable transmission? I see a lot of messages in your logs for transmission.

Well, it hasn't failed again since my last restart. On T19 and T23 it failed within minutes of startup. This makes it hard to know how Transmission (or anything else) might be contributing to the issue. I will certainly take a look at the logs to see what might be coming from transmission, though. I wasn't seeing anything in the regular UI anywhere that was suggesting problems.
Message 9 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

btaroli: We have made a lot of changes and updated with 4.2.20 so it could be causing a problem. What version of Transmission are you using? I can install it here and see if there is any issues.
Message 10 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

tlyczko: Your first 3 disks have Seagate SN11 drive firmware and your Last 3 look to have SN12.
Message 11 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

And I think I recall looking up Seagate firmware for these drives and not being able to find any.
I will double-check again...
Message 12 of 62
btaroli
Prodigy

Chewbacca wrote:
btaroli: We have made a lot of changes and updated with 4.2.20 so it could be causing a problem. What version of Transmission are you using? I can install it here and see if there is any issues.

Hrmm... sounds like the potential causes might be diverging here. Wasn't my intent to confuse. I'll take the follow-ups on my report back to thread viewtopic.php?f=51&t=60222
Message 13 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

Three were included with the ReadyNAS, three were purchased separately, the drives are no longer made so far as I know and double-checking at Seagate's site for firmware shows no firmware available, they are all CONSTELLATION ES 7200.1 drives, so if anyone can suggest how to get firmware updates for them and how to apply them, that would be nice, but these are 1TB drives and they are not the famous Seagate 1.5TB drives that so notoriously crapped out on people, I think they are even on the ReadyNAS HCL, though they should be removed because they're no longer made and there's better disks now. Tom Health report always says the disks are fine etc.
Thank you, Tom
Message 14 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

tlyczko: Since you stated that there this has been a issue since 4.2.17. Did you have issues with 4.2.15 and 4.2.16? Has it been more stable with it unteamed? I haven't seen anything in your logs to it hanging and not responding.
Message 15 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

Chewbacca, I found old logs that I had sent to Netgear that I thought I did not have when I emailed you earlier.
I will email them tomorrow, I will try to remember...
This NAS has had issues forever. I can't recall when they started, sigh.
I will try to find all my emails and get a better sense of when it started crapping out etc.
I did not say it is un-teamed. I said it's on active backup teaming.
However it might as well be un-teamed since active backup mainly means the 2nd NIC will take over if the 1st NIC fails, correct??
Only 2 days of it teamed thusly and no failed backups yet. Really must wait several more days etc. to know for sure.
Other poster said it took several days for dropouts to re-appear.
I sent you the Netgear support case number in my email, I will put that in again.
This is all I can think of for now.
Thank you, Tom
Message 16 of 62
chirpa
Luminary

Please try T31.
Message 17 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

I'll install T31 after I read about it...
Does anyone still want my old logs??
Thank you, Tom
Message 18 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

tlyczko: These logs pre 4.2.20? I remember you stating it was happening with 4.2.17

Has it hung since switching to active backup?
Message 19 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

Chewbacca wrote:
tlyczko: These logs pre 4.2.20? I remember you stating it was happening with 4.2.17

Has it hung since switching to active backup?

1) The old logs I have are pre-4.2.20, do you want them??
2) It has not hung during backup hours. At one point this Sunday a few SQL log backups failed, then all subsequent backups succeeded.

I'm at a good point now and will obtain the current log if you want it.
I installed T31 today and will continue observation during the coming days.

Thank you, Tom
Message 20 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

Chewbacca wrote:
What your case number? With the issues happening in 4.2.17 its looking to be a hardware problem.

today case: 17836717
previous case referenced in today's case: 17667329

can send more older logs etc. if you want them

thank you, tom
Message 21 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Looks like the unit has been replaced once before.

What kind of switch do you have connected to the unit?
Message 22 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

Chewbacca wrote:
Looks like the unit has been replaced once before. What kind of switch do you have connected to the unit?

Yes, it has...Netgear really did find a hardware issue...

The ReadyNAS is connected to an HP Procurve 2624, with no special switch/port configuration.

Since upgrading to 4.2.20-T## and configuring active backup teaming instead of round robin these odd hiccups with SQL backups in today's new case are the only issues I've seen but I reported them because they happened and they have a particular timestamp and I thought maybe they would help toward solving the issues etc. etc.

Thank you, Tom
Message 23 of 62
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Is the switch configured for flow control?
Message 24 of 62
tlyczko
Tutor

Chewbacca wrote:
Is the switch configured for flow control?

I misspoke before -- the ReadyNAS is connected to an HP Procurve 2824 (GbE ports).
No ports have flow control enabled.
Thank you, Tom
Message 25 of 62
Discussion stats
  • 61 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements