× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Trying ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T206 (Beta 4) -- unstable for me -- can I go back?

jhyland
Tutor

Trying ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T206 (Beta 4) -- unstable for me -- can I go back?

ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T206 (Beta 4)

I installed this 2 days ago and it is unstable for me.  I can sometimes connect through the web interface, but in a few minutes it loses connection.  If I try to shutdown from the front panels it shows the shutting down message, but will stay there for hours.  Then I have to do a hard power to bring it "back".  It boots, I can see my data is there, then the disconnection happens.  I've cycled through this several time.

How can I go back to the last stable release?  I know the OP says not to do this, but in this case is it possible?

Thanks in advance.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 12
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Re: Trying ReadyNASOS 6.7.0-T206 (Beta 4) -- unstable for me -- can I go back?

I would not downgrade. As a workaround instead, try to disable some features and see whether it is getting more stable.

Here is a list for your convenience, which helped me to test new firmware releases in the past. I would disable one feature at a time and reboot to see whether it improves your situation:

DONTs
- do not have antivirus service enabled
- do not have ftp service enabled, if not urgently needed
- do not have afp service enabled in case your macs only need to access a windows share
- do not have nfs service enabled in case your linux machines (includes android) only need to access a windows share
- do not have bitrot protection enabled; if you must, do not enable compression, though
- do not have quota for volumes enabled
- do not enable disk spin-down
- do not enable snapshots for your volumes

- do not encrypt a volume, if not urgently needed

Message 2 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you able to send in your logs (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

Message 3 of 12
jhyland
Tutor

When I went back to look at the nas after about 24 hours, on the display it showed "Out of Memory".  I did a hard reset (pull the plug). it would not respond to anything else.

I'm trying to boot it now, but it seems stuck at 99%.  I will check it again in a couple hours.  Hopefully I'll be able to pull off the logs.

Message 4 of 12
jhyland
Tutor

I still am getting the "out_of_memory+300" error after it tries to boot for a long time.

Message 5 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Try booting into volume read-only mode (a boot menu option) then download your logs and send those in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 6 of 12
jhyland
Tutor

I was able to boot into read only and get the logs.  I have sent them to you per the instructions.

Thanks.

Message 7 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Can you boot it to normal mode then disable quotas on the volume and see if that makes a difference?

Go to System > Volumes, click on the Settings wheel for the volume, choose Settings, uncheck Quota and apply.

Message 8 of 12
jhyland
Tutor

unfortunately the unit won't boot into normal mode.  just tried again and had same problem.  I'm back in read only now.

Message 9 of 12
JBDragon1
Virtuoso

Like anything else, it's so temping to run Beta software!!!  You shouldn't do it on your Primary device, just in case something happens, you're not screwed.  On the ReadyNAS with so much Data at risk, there's really nothing that's MUST HAVE worth it, to install Beta software.  It's interesting to click and look and see what will be coming in the final released version in the future.  Even then it's better to wait a few days just in case people are having issues with it.  That does happen.    

In general with any OS, going back never really works.  Things get changed with the new OS, Update, that installing a older OS doesn't know anything about and that would cause problems.  Really the only safe way to go back would be to restore your Backup onto the NAS after doing to complete wipe of the system to factory with the older OS.   Starting over basically.  With a large NAS, that can take some time.

At this point, you can try the suggestions above with disabling as much as you can in the hope that stops whatever bug from doing what it's doing, and/or waiting for the next Beta OS update in the hope that it fixes your problem, which giving them your Logs will help them figure out what's going on.  That is why they Beta Test software.  You Alpha Test internally, then Beta test outside to a larger group of people, and then when most of the bugs are found, it's released as a final version for everyone which opens it up to a far larger group of people, which can find more bugs which will get patched in a future OS Beta test.  No software is perfect.   Sometimes Beta software can only be downloaded by a select group of people who sign up.  Other times like here, it's open to the Public in general with a big WARNING!!!  It is so temping though.

Message 10 of 12
jhyland
Tutor

I'm still having the same issue.  I have been able to "get by" by running in read-only mode.  At least I can get to my data.  I'm saving anything new or changed into a separate place that I will reintegrate to the NAS once I can write to it.  The only setting I've been able to change in read-only has been to turn off the disk spin-down feature.  So I have done that.  I guess my only hope is to wait for the next firmware to be released.  I do have a full backup, but with the amount of data, a restore may take longer than watiting for the new firmware.

1) any idea when a new firmware will be ready?
2) any other suggestions for me to try in the meantime?

Thanks.

Message 11 of 12
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I've sent you a PM.

Message 12 of 12
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 11 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 4 in conversation
Announcements