× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Unable to connect to shares on two ReadyNAS104 devices after connect.disconnect to AD

ghoyle
Aspirant

Unable to connect to shares on two ReadyNAS104 devices after connect.disconnect to AD

So since there's been a few updates on this forum about connecting ReadyNAS units to AD, I thought I'd give it a go on my two 104 devices here.

Big mistake it seems!

So if you use AD authentication, you can't use ReadyCloud....  OK, I'll try it and see, but I really like being to access the NAS devices over the internet from the various client offices that I work at so I can always go back and disable AD auth and connect to ReadyCloud again, right?  Wrong!  Kind of!

So I connected, them, found it didn't really give me that much benefit and disconnected so I can join back to RadyCloud.  That worked.

However, I can't now browse to either device from Windows Explorer / SMB using the NetBIOS (short) name.  Using local users and ReadyCloud enabled, I just get the generic Windows Explorer error that there might be a network problem, which there isn't.  If I use the IP address or FQDN though, I can connect, but don't see any shares.

If I then go back to using AD auth, I also now can't connect to the NASes and get an error that I'm not authorised to connect from this station and/or I just get continual prompts for user name and password.

So yep, totally borked at the moment no matter what configuration of authentication I use.

Help!

(Using formware 6.5.1 RC1)

Model: RN10400|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4- Bay (Diskless)
Message 1 of 11
savek
Star

Re: Unable to connect to shares on two ReadyNAS104 devices after connect.disconnect to AD

I do have the same! After update 6.5.1 no more able to access SAMBA server , generic windows message I get , thats all.

Please FIX this or provide us with FIX , cant believe this wasnt tested!??!?

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204
Message 2 of 11
savek
Star

Re: Unable to connect to shares on two ReadyNAS104 devices after connect.disconnect to AD

I downgrade to 6.5.0 and it all start working again , so it must be the firmware. Please fix this and let us know when it is done so we can upgrade. Not so serious to release an upgade to public when a vital services like SMB doenst even work!

Message 3 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ghoyle

Reset the permissions on your shares and re-join to your AD. 

@savek Contact our support team to report the issue that you've encountered. Prepare the logs too.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 4 of 11
ghoyle
Aspirant

Thanks Brain but I already did that (not that there's much to reset as I have Anonymous and Everyone on all shares and that's it).

Didn't help though.

Since posting, I have figured out that I can still get to the shares by typing the full path in directly to Explorer without browsing, it just seems that the shares are 'hidden' somehow.  So permissions on the shares are fine, I'm just either not allowed to see them or don't have any permission on that 'root' folder (\\nasname)

Message 5 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ghoyle,

If the permissions of the shares were reset, there's no way for them to be hidden and the system won't hide it unless changed. Try to save the admin credentials in Windows Credential Manager and see if it will let you access the root.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 6 of 11
JennC
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi ghoyle,

We’d greatly appreciate hearing your feedback letting us know if the information we provided has helped resolve your issue or if you need further assistance. 
If your issue is now resolved we encourage you to mark the appropriate reply as the “Accept as Solution” so others can be confident in benefiting from the solution. 

The Netgear community looks forward to hearing from you and being a helpful resource in the future!

Regards,

Message 7 of 11
Dargan
Aspirant

"If I then go back to using AD auth, I also now can't connect to the NASes and get an error that I'm not authorised to connect from this station and/or I just get continual prompts for user name and password."

I was getting this same issue. I ended up having to use the initial user "admin" and my initial password. 

Message 8 of 11
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi Dargan,

Are you also running the official 6.5.1 firmware? Try the suggested steps above and follow these instructions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 11
ghoyle
Aspirant

Hi BrianL - just to let you know that Beta2 seems to have fixed the problem here so, contrary to your statement that "there's no way for them to be hidden and the system won't hide it unless changed", it appears that the OS can do something that prevents you from getting to the shares.  I suspect this is the fix below, though the message you list is different.

Regardless, it's nice to know that you guys take error reports seriously and don't fob users off with "just follow these standard instructions because you must be doing something wrong, it's not our product" kind of mentalities...!

[Beta 2] Fixed a SMB issue where Windows may report an "Element not found" error when browsing to the NAS where the passwords on the Windows account and the NAS account did not match

Thanks BrianL - not going to be accepting your messages as solution!

Message 10 of 11
StephenB
Guru

@ghoyle wrote:

Thanks BrianL - not going to be accepting your messages as solution!

All that really matters is that your problem is fixed.  I'm sure BrianL agrees.

Message 11 of 11
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 10 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements