× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Volume: System volume root's usage is 94%

Tutenstein
Aspirant

Volume: System volume root's usage is 94%

Hi All,

Just wondering after doing an 6.4.0 beta 2 update, I decided to look into the logs and found this error occuring heaps .

Volume: System volume root's usage is 94%. This condition should not occur in normal conditions. Contact technical support.

The hard drive itself are 80% full. Is there a clean up procedure I should follow to make more room or I should not worry about it?

Thanks

for any suggestions.

Slav

Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: Volume: System volume root's usage is 94%

This is definitely something to worry about. If the OS partition gets full you will see some unpredictable behaviour.

You need to look into why the root volume is that full and address it.

Message 2 of 6
StephenB
Guru

You should be worrying about it.  The NAS can end up bricked if the root volume fills.

The root volume is NOT the same as the data volume (and you can't see it w/o ssh).

So contact technical support.  The usual cause is a mis-installed app that is using the root volume for storage.  Though there are other possibilities, including a run-away log file.

Message 3 of 6
Labdoc1
Luminary

I agree with StephenB re a mis-installed app.  I had the root filling up on 6.3.3.beta due to Logitech Media Server installation.  Although there is a workaround using SSH on the forums, which I did temporarily, in the end I reset to factory default and did not install LMS next time.  No problem subsequently (6.3.5, 6.4.0 Beta 2 and 3).

Message 4 of 6
Tutenstein
Aspirant

Ah okay i noticed it is filling up since about August, when I look at the logs.

Thanks will check it out .

Slav

Message 5 of 6
Tutenstein
Aspirant

MDGM has averted disaster.

Thank you for that

SLav

Message 6 of 6
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies