× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

os 6.8 indexing feature

TeknoJnky
Hero

os 6.8 indexing feature

Can someone elaborate on the new indexing feature, what it is, how it works, why you want to use (or not use it).

I saw a post earlier that mentioned in passing something about the indexing helping the spotlight search on a mac.

Is there any usefulness added to windows via indexing?

I have had indexing enabled for awhile now, and the time remaining hasn't changed from 16:12:43

although the number of files indexed has changed.

I assume that this indexing is based upon some type of file or block hashing?

And if so, is there any hope for some type of de-duplication functionality? If not, could there be?

Model: RN528X|ReadyNAS 528X - Premium Performance Business Data Storage 8-Bay
Message 1 of 5
TeknoJnky
Hero

Re: os 6.8 indexing feature

Message 2 of 5
jpricescout
Aspirant

Finally, spotlight indexing. I also am wondering if this will index for Windows as well?

Thanks.

Model: ReadyNAS-4200|ReadyNAS 4200,RN51600|ReadyNAS 516 6-Bay
Message 3 of 5
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@jpricescout wrote:

Finally, spotlight indexing. I also am wondering if this will index for Windows as well?

Thanks.

Unfortunately, it is not compatible with Windows Indexing. 😞  However, Windows allows you to index network locations. 

Message 4 of 5
jpricescout
Aspirant

Yeah, we do that now but we have so much data it is not the smoothest process. I  was hoping the NAS could do it. I am thrilled to get spotlght though. I can hear my Mac users cheers in my head now.

Thanks.

Message 5 of 5
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 3 in conversation
Announcements