× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

rsync on 6.4.0 fails RN102

dishmagic66
Guide

rsync on 6.4.0 fails RN102

After upgrading from 6.2.5 to 6.4.0 by rsync backup jobs to the drive connected to one of the rear usb ports fails.

When i check /etc/rsyncd.conf i see about 10 times these lines:

[USB_HDD_2]
  path = /media/USB_HDD_2
  comment = Seagate ST2000DL001-9VT156
  use chroot = true
  uid = root
  gid = root
  read only = false

Before the update my external drive was mounted like this, but now it is mounted as /media/USB_HDD_3 and this is NOT found in rsyncd.conf

After changing USB_HDD_2 to USB_HDD_3 in of these lines,  rsync connnects again to the drive.

Bug?

Message 1 of 9

Accepted Solutions
dishmagic66
Guide

Re: rsync on 6.4.0 fails RN102

I did start a case and sent  the logs.  They are offering me a one time  free of charge support.....    i was a bit suprised, coz as a matter of fact i see it as a bug i filed.  I had already done a workaround to get things going.

Hopefully they find something, so they can fix it in a next release.

View solution in original post

Message 6 of 9

All Replies
dishmagic66
Guide

Typo..... The Nas is a RN104, but that makes no difference i think

Message 2 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dishmagic66,

There's a similar post to this (found on this thread). In the meantime, try to re-create the backups job and see if it'll work again. I will also continue to test this issue that you reported and get back to you as soon as possible. 

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 3 of 9
dishmagic66
Guide

Just a update.

I noticed that the rsync option was disabled after the remount to USB_HDD_3. and i missed that one. As a solution i edited the config file and put  the USB_HDD_3 line in it.

To make shure if everything worked, i deleted these lines and switched off and back on the rsync option on media/USB_HDD_3.  The lines where recreated, so everything seemes to be okay,

Question:  Why is it mounted to USB_HDD_3 instead of USB_HDD_3 without intervention from my side?

Message 4 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dishmagic66,

Thank you for providing feedback. I suggest that you contact our support team to have a ticket raised regarding the sudden change of the USB name. You may want to check this thread for more information.

Let me know if you have further questions.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 5 of 9
dishmagic66
Guide

I did start a case and sent  the logs.  They are offering me a one time  free of charge support.....    i was a bit suprised, coz as a matter of fact i see it as a bug i filed.  I had already done a workaround to get things going.

Hopefully they find something, so they can fix it in a next release.

Message 6 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dishmagic66,

Is it the same workaround found on the similar post I shared previously? Could you share us how you manage to get your RSYNC backup again? I am pretty sure that most of the problems experienced will be addressed on the next Firmare release.

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 7 of 9
dishmagic66
Guide

I noticed a lot later that after the new mountpoint rsync was disabled.  So after enabling it again and changing all backupjobs to the new mountpoint everything was working again.

Message 8 of 9
BrianL2
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Hi dishmagic66,

Thanks for sharing your workaround. This post could help other community members who encountered the same problem. 

Kind regards,

BrianL
NETGEAR Community Team

Message 9 of 9
Discussion stats
  • 8 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements