× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4.1.18 T5 - AFP performance issue with Snow Leopard

Pixeltje
Aspirant

4.1.18 T5 - AFP performance issue with Snow Leopard

Hi,

Not sure where to post this, but as the problem seems to be related to the beta firmware for the NV+, I guess this would be the right place.

Ever since i've upgraded to the beta release of Raidiator 4.1.18 (T5), the transfer rate to the NAS has sort of collapsed; before the update I reached speeds between 9 and 12 MB/s (which is not as high as they could be, i know) but now, after the update, write speeds average around 4-5 MB/s. As you can imagine, it takes a lot of time to copy some music let alone some 720P movies.. Reads will average around 7 MB/s, but I don't recall the "before" speed..

To be sure you've got all the initial info you need;

- What Mac OS version are you using? Snow Leopard, updated untill yesterday
- What are your ethernet settings set to on your Mac. Airport, WiFi N (top speed reached to other mac was well over 50 MB/s)
- What switch are you using or indicate if you are doing direct connect? Netgear WNR 3500 router, shouldn't be the problem, cause it was there before the update
- What protocol are you using (AFP, NFS, SMB, FTP, etc)? Both AFP and CIFS, both slow 😉
- Are you slow on writes or reads? Writes and reads
- What drives do you have? I assume you mean HDD in the NAS? No specific serial numbers available, but four 2TB Seagates, spinning at 5900RPM
- Are you using XRAID or RAID 0, 1, 5? Raid 5
- What NAS box do you have (NV, NV+, 600, 1000, 1100, Duo)? NV+
- In the performance tab in Frontview what are your settings set to? See screenshot
- What version of RAIDiator firmware are you using? 4.1.18 T5

Because the screenshot is in Dutch, I'll translate the options for you 😉 From top to bottom:

Write cache enabled (should enhance performance "drastically" according the the description)
Total Journals disabled As you can see, the checkbox is greyed out, so I can't change it. The description says; Journalling enables a backup of the files before they're written to the final destination. This offers extra protection from corrupted data at the cost of performance.
Journals disabled (same as above??)
Optimze for OSX Should enhance perfomance on CIFS share, but could also cause torubles with older windows systems. None of them around here, so seems fine to me?
Fast CIFS write operations Enabled Seems to enhance CIFS write performance through a "fast writeback cache". Should not be enabled when shares on this NAS are being used by applications with multiple users. As far as i know, the only users accessing the NAS are my roommate and me, no "application" involved, just through finder 😉

Some of the translations above may vary from their original English version, I've had to translate them, and since I'm not a native speaker, there will probably be some faults in my spelling and grammar. Please forgive me 😉

Last but not least; All the shares on this NAS are only accessible by my roommate or me, using our usernames and passwords. Guest access is disabled everywhere.

Could anyone tell me what might be causing the decreased read and write speeds, and more importantly; what i should do to fix it.. Thanks! 😄
Message 1 of 15
Pixeltje
Aspirant

No one with any ideas? I'm downloading T9 beta now, will get back here when done updating, but anyone with ideas?
Message 2 of 15
_ebm_
Aspirant

I have to report a performance loss on the 4.1.8 Betas as well. On 4.1.7 I was able to get 25MB/s over the cable and up to 16MB/s over WiFi. Now I only get 8-12MB/s no matter how I connect the NAS. I tested the hard disk performance through the shell issuing a dd if=/dev/zero of=/c/tmp.bin bs=1024 count=1024000 which created a 1gb file with a transfer rate of approx. 12MB/s on the raid volume. before the update I was able to reach up to 50mb/s that way. My NAS is a Duo with two Seagate ST31500340AS (1.5TB) and is not modified at all except the rooting.

PS the problem exists on both, T5 and T9
Message 3 of 15
lasseoe
Aspirant

Sorta the same here writes @ 9-10MB/s, used to get ~18MB/s.
Not tried with 10.6, only 10.7
Message 4 of 15
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Let me look into this and get back to you.
Message 5 of 15
Pixeltje
Aspirant

Thanks. still having these issues wit the T9 firmware, but i do have the feeling the overall speed has increased some. Not by much, but readings now show around 7-8-9MB/s, instead of around 4-5-6 MB/s.
Message 6 of 15
Chewbacca
Aspirant

Pixeltje: Are these speeds you just quoted mainly through wireless or wired?

Im not seeing the speed hit and Im trying with 10.7 and 10.6 with 4.1.7 and 4.1.8
Message 7 of 15
lasseoe
Aspirant

My setup is wired Gigabit, the network is fine.

I did implement a workaround suggested by a forum member, something to do with AFP passwords, I don't quite remember, maybe that's what's causing it.
Message 8 of 15
Pixeltje
Aspirant

I measure the speed with istatpro in my dashboard, monitoring the wireless connection.

Almost all the time my mac is connected wireless, 'cause i'm often not at my desk but on the couch or on the balcony. However; wherever i am in the house; speeds don't vary much.
Message 9 of 15
lasseoe
Aspirant

Have updated to 4.1.8-T9 - everything now works without messing with UAMS, but performance is the same, I get ~11MB/s writes on large files which is a lot less than before Lion & 4.1.8-Tx (~18MB/s).
Message 10 of 15
yoh-dah
Guide

If you go back to 4.1.17 (assuming you have a non-Lion Mac), can you verify your performance reverts back to what's expected?
Message 11 of 15
Pixeltje
Aspirant

I did though about that earlier, but I don't have a Mac without lion around here anymore..
Message 12 of 15
lasseoe
Aspirant

yoh-dah wrote:
If you go back to 4.1.17 (assuming you have a non-Lion Mac), can you verify your performance reverts back to what's expected?

Downgrading won't causing me any headaches?

I do have an older Powerbook G4 with.. hmm I think 10.5, I'll see if I can find time to test this weekend.
Message 13 of 15
Pixeltje
Aspirant

That'd be great 🙂 I'm trying to determine the load average via ssh, but somehow the top command won't work, so guess the troubleshooting ends here for me, 'cause I don't know what else to try.
Message 14 of 15
rccoleman
Aspirant

4.1.18 T5 - AFP performance issue with Snow Leopard

Pixeltje wrote:
That'd be great 🙂 I'm trying to determine the load average via ssh, but somehow the top command won't work, so guess the troubleshooting ends here for me, 'cause I don't know what else to try.

Try 'uptime'
Message 15 of 15
Discussion stats
  • 14 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements