× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4.1.8 - T9 taking very long to connect to NAS

suede646
Aspirant

4.1.8 - T9 taking very long to connect to NAS

Hi All,

I am using a Mac and have a ReadyNAS Duo which is just updated to 4.1.8 T9. I found it takes very long to access my files in the NAS(sometimes I have to wait for more than 10 minutes to see the files in Finder...). I upgraded it to 4.1.8 -T9 and hoped it would fix it, but it didn't. Other PCs in my office doesn't have this problem, they can access the files in NAS almost immediately. Does anyone have the same issue? Help please...

Cheers
Message 1 of 21
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

How are you connecting the Share Folder? Is this OSX 10.6.X or OSX 10.7 (lion?
Message 2 of 21
suede646
Aspirant

Connect through wifi. Was on 10.6 and now upgrades to10.7, but both have the same issue...
Message 3 of 21
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Is this happened with Wired connection?
Message 4 of 21
suede646
Aspirant

Yes, this happens on both wired or wireless connection...
Message 5 of 21
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

OK. I will have someone take a look with 10.7. is there anyway can you submit current system logs to us?
Message 6 of 21
llanelwy
Aspirant

I am also seeing the slow connection times. Once the connection is established everything seams normal. but the initial connection is taking considerably longer
Message 7 of 21
suede646
Aspirant

Sorry I'm new to this.. How can I get system logs?
Message 8 of 21
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Message 9 of 21
dkmj
Aspirant

My unit suffers from complete unresponsiveness "from time to time". It has so even before I upgrader to the T9 beta (at previos stable version 4.1.7). File transfers of 'many' files invariably fail/hung. Eventually I managed to transfer off a bunch of files by allowing FTP access and setting a FTP client to reconnect again and again.

I've enabled and disabled every possible service and add-on, but can not find what might be causing this. Thought my network was bad. Thought I had a DNS issue. Thought. Now, I'm struggling and about to give in and buy something else, unless I can somehow isolate and get to a point where some streaming or some protocol will work more reliably.

My environment is mostly Macs on 10.6.8 or 10.7 (this is why I installet the beta), but now I've turned off AFP and "rely" on SMB and ftp for the time being.

Is there any chance someone can take a look at my zip-pack of log files to see if there's something apparent?

/peter
Message 10 of 21
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Guys,

I would suggest opening each forum post with your issues and how your environment setup. it will help us try to reproduce the issue.
As of now, the issues can be vary as it could be network, it could be 10.7, it could be hardware and etc. And of course send in your system logs for review is always helpful with beta code you are using..
Message 11 of 21
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

hmm I don't know what else tell you guys. I upgraded my 10.6.8 to 10.7 and I was able to access via CIFS/AFP fine. I dont see any slowness. I did had two kernel crashed with 10.7 as I have to reboot my mac laptop. So I dont think i can blame this on ReadyNAS.
Message 12 of 21
suede646
Aspirant

I've just sent my system log to NSBU_Logs@netgear.com titled 4.1.8 - T9 taking very long to connect to NAS - Attn: Jedi Knight. Hope this helps.

My setting is macbook (ran 10.6 then upgraded to 10.7) with wired connection and macbook air 10.7 with wireless connection, all have same issue. Modem/Router: Billion 7800N.
Message 13 of 21
Jedi_Knight
Tutor

Suede:

Thanks for the system logs. Didn't find any abnormal with your system. However, I did see you have hight TCP retransmit errors. So it lead to me that there must be a network issue that take a while to connect or discover the ReadyNAS via your Mac Clients. Have you try with different network switch and cables?

tcp_retransmit: 919
tcp_retransmit_unrecovered: 258
Message 14 of 21
suede646
Aspirant

Hmm... it connects straightly to the router without switch... I'll try different cable and see how it goes.
Will it be the router? Because I have the same issue when I'm on wifi.. But it works fine with other PCs...
Message 15 of 21
dkmj
Aspirant

Jedi Knight wrote:
hmm I don't know what else tell you guys. I upgraded my 10.6.8 to 10.7 and I was able to access via CIFS/AFP fine. I dont see any slowness. I did had two kernel crashed with 10.7 as I have to reboot my mac laptop. So I dont think i can blame this on ReadyNAS.

Ok, thanks for the hard work! I am just experiencing a FTP service that died. What log in particular should I send, or just every log? I connected just fine and started transferring fine but after few seconds (and a complete transfer of a folder) connection is broken after som 300Mb are and upload fails. subsequent reconnect attempts by client fail again and again. ReadyNas is unresponsive on every other protocol as well as frontview. Something is keeping it busy and I don't know what...

On OSX Lion 10.7.1 on this particular machine, connecting to 4.1.8-T9 over fast ethernet

/peter
Message 16 of 21
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are you able to try a direct-connection?: http://sphardy.com/web/directconnect
Message 17 of 21
dkmj
Aspirant

will try direct connection a little later and report back! for now - wait for ca 5+ minutes until frontview responds, restart FTP server and try again, and agin with different options in th ftp client. FTP server responds, mostly, but hangs either right before or after accepting pwd, or a little bit into first file transfer.

Will get back! /peter
Message 18 of 21
dkmj
Aspirant

Trying to access my ReadyNAS NV+ i've been getting "Something wrong with the volumes CNID DB, using temporary CNID DB instead". Will disable (as soon as Frontview loads - in 15 minutes or in a fortnight 😉 AFP and reboot the unit.

/peter
Message 19 of 21
dkmj
Aspirant

directconnect no problemo. Yesterday I streamed a movie to a tv-unit next to this computer (same side of local switch etc), and this computer is downloading from external sites at +Mbit/s speeds at the same time. At least there is no 'static' error in the network setup. Cannot eliminate higher level protocol errors, but connectiivity and transport are up.

Currently FTP client is trying and the daemon answers but then drops... (logs in swedish - second but last row says 'timeout')

tatus: Slår upp adressen för diskhon.local
Status: Anslutningen etablerad, väntar på välkomstmeddelande...
Svar: 220 ProFTPD 1.3.3c Server (NETGEAR ReadyNAS) [192.168.1.3]
Kommando: USER peternou
Svar: 331 Password required for peternou
Kommando: PASS *********
Fel: Tidsgränsen för anslutningen överstegs
Fel: Kunde inte ansluta till servern

/peter
Message 20 of 21
dkmj
Aspirant

And (will stop spamming the forum now!) next attempt to connect to FTP lasted a little longer.. after traversing remote (readynas) file tree I lost connection. FTP (and other services, more or less same timeout symptons for AFS, CIFS...) seem to run at lower priority than some core/kernel process in the ReadyNAS OS and fail to answer fast enough. What process keeps my unit busy? Where can I get the equivalent of MacOS Activity Monitor to see 'what's happening'/what processes are running, if there's memory problems or?

/peter
Message 21 of 21
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 20 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements