× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4.1.8: dead after upgrade

lasseoe
Aspirant

4.1.8: dead after upgrade

I've never had issues with upgrading my ReadyNAS 1100, not really had any of the other issues people have had over time, apart from poor performance which is largely due to the hardware itself.

So, I upgraded to 4.1.8, did the needed reboot and it never came back up, when I go look at it none of the disks are spun up, it just sits there blinking it's blue light and once in a blue moon switch to, I guess, try spinning up a drive. I refuse to belive that all of my four identical drives (drive four is some 6-12 months newer than the other ones) all died at the exact same time, during a warm reboot. Had it been a cold boot I'd be a little more inclined to accept that it could happen, though it's highly unlikely. 1 drive sure, 2 drives yeah ok, 3 not so much, but all 4!

This has got to be a low-level software bug, or bug in the hardware that's triggered by something obscure.

RN appears bricked. Lovely!
Message 1 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I would suggest you open a tech support case (http://www.readynas.com/support)

Edit the thread title (i.e. subject of first post in the thread) to include your case number.
Message 2 of 6
maxblack
Aspirant

lasseoe wrote:
RN appears bricked. Lovely!

Very sorry to hear it, but thank you very much for your post. I was considering whether to do the "upgrade", but since AFAICT the only fix that affects me is maybe the Frontview javascript, I will pass on this one...
Message 3 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

The only times I've seen that myself, was a failing disk in a bad spot. If the disk doesn't report failure, but doesn't respond pass, it can be in a weird limbo. I've seen the 1100 not like this sometimes.

Does it get into Tech Support mode, if you hold the power button for 15 seconds (three LED flashes) on power up? If it won't get into Tech Support mode either, its probably a bad disk, which can be weeded out by booting with one disk at a time removed, and see where it will successfully boot up.
Message 4 of 6
mcloud
Aspirant

A bit late,

but tonight i decided to upgrade my 4.1.7 to 4.1.8 but after the update i got an kernel panic.
booting would hang without any drive leds. Flashing through USB would hang and give an kernel panic.
The solution turned out to be: replacing my 1gb memory module to the original 256mb one.

Very strange that it worked before with 4.1.7 but not with 4.1.8.
Message 5 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

You could try the 1GB again, maybe it was loose, and reseating it would work properly again.

Any time you modify the RAM, I suggest you run the Memtest via the boot menu: http://www.readynas.com/kb/faq/boot/how ... v_nv_x6600
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements