× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: [4.1.9-T2] No Warning about using Share Mode in Frontvie

mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

[4.1.9-T2] No Warning about using Share Mode in Frontview

The information for Share Mode under Security > Security Mode in Frontview does not include a warning that it is incompatible with newer versions of Windows and Mac OS X and no longer recommended. This should be added if the Share Mode option is to be retained.

Also it would be good if existing users of share mode were alerted to this issue upon upgrading to 4.1.9 and requested to change modes (I don't know if this is the case or not already as I don't use share mode but it would be easy for you to check).
Message 1 of 6
BigMike1
Tutor

I have always had 'share' selected, with the 'workgroup' workgroup. I've gone through several versions of windows, currently running windows 7 64 bit, and never changed the settings on the NAS ... it still works. Am I missing something? (and I'm running 4.1.9-T2)
Message 2 of 6
maxblack
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
The information for Share Mode under Security > Security Mode in Frontview does not include a warning that it is incompatible with newer versions of Windows and Mac OS X and no longer recommended. This should be added if the Share Mode option is to be retained.

Also it would be good if existing users of share mode were alerted to this issue upon upgrading to 4.1.9 and requested to change modes (I don't know if this is the case or not already as I don't use share mode but it would be easy for you to check).

What's this about mdgm? Where is it discussed that Share mode in 4.1.9 is incompatible?
Message 3 of 6
CheezHead
Aspirant

maxblack, you sent me a PM but you have turned off the option of getting messages from members, so I cannot reply to you.
Message 4 of 6
maxblack
Aspirant

Thanks for telling me--I think it should be fixed now.
Message 5 of 6
chirpa
Luminary

Share mode is legacy, from v3 days. Only v3 upgraded systems would see it. Fresh v4 systems do not have this option.

It is compatible with 4.1.9, but not used anymore, replaced by User security mode with Guest Access per share. Some OS's don't work as well with the older Share model.
Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements