× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 4.2.13 ultra 6 not powering up automatically

beisser1
Aspirant

ouch...

have you pointed them to this thread?
Message 51 of 128
peterbanks
Aspirant

I thought I made it as clear as possible in my original support query, stating my current BIOS date, and the date of the most recent image (6/10/10) that I was requesting. Obviously that was not the case. I will point them to this thread.

What ever happened to chirpa????
Message 52 of 128
PeteCress
Apprentice

peterbanks wrote:
we do not have the BIOS version for your computer

FWIW, it's the next day after my Level-2 guy said he would email the BIOS file and I haven't seen it yet - and don't suppose I ever will.

Did I fat-finger the Delete key in my inbox? Did it get flagged by a server somewhere? Did it never get sent? Did it get sent to the wrong address?

"Who knows what evil lurks in the hearts of men? ... The Shadow knows."

But that was then and this is now.

Sooner-or-later NetGear support will post a verified/validated copy somewhere.
Message 53 of 128
wireworld
Aspirant

I still have the usb key from netgear with the files on that I could zip and send over if that's any help?
Message 54 of 128
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You need an image of the USB key, not the files. I made an image of the USB disk. It was 2GB in size because the USB disk was 2GB. It would be better to get the image from chirpa as he has one that is just megabytes in size.
Message 55 of 128
blacey
Aspirant

adamwilt wrote:

The other, however, is only partially fixed. It sleeps and wakes on schedule, but responds to wake-on-LAN ONLY IF the NAS was shut down using Frontview. If the NAS was shut down by scheduled sleep, or by double-pressing the front power button, it will NOT wake up for a wake-on-LAN packet.

Those reporting that wake-on-LAN still doesn't work with the 6/10 BIOS: try waking the machine from scheduled sleep, from a front-panel shutdown, and from a Frontview shutdown, and post whether you're finding the same thing. I'll add any info we can gather to my support case, and with any luck that'll get us all further down the road.

CONFIRMED: I have the same exact problem with the 06/10/2010 FLAME6-2 V1.1 BIOS - my Ultra 6 won't WOL if it was shutdown by the power-on/off timer.

FYI, Chirpa sent me the 06/10/2010 FLAME6-2 V1.1 BIOS in early November which fixed my Ultra 6 so the power on timer works however, it will not power-up in response to a WOL packet unless I shut it down using Frontview. The WOL feature was one of the main reasons I upgraded from the NV+ so I could power the NAS up while I was away from home and it simply doesn't work.
Message 56 of 128
peterbanks
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
You need an image of the USB key, not the files. I made an image of the USB disk. It was 2GB in size because the USB disk was 2GB. It would be better to get the image from chirpa as he has one that is just megabytes in size.

There in lies the problem. I first sent a PM to chirpa on the 6th of November, I've sent three follow up PM's, he's read them all as they have all moved from my Outbox, but I've never received a reply.
Message 57 of 128
peterbanks
Aspirant

So I think I'm going to open up an new support ticket. This one is going to be to help locate chirpa. My case was upgraded to level 2 support and a nice guy named Jeremiah sent me the below message:

1/15/2011 8:20:00 PM
Notes added by 41009
From Agent ID: 41009
Case Number: 14322508

Dear Sean,

Thank you for choosing NETGEAR, my name is Jerry from 2nd Level Technical Support.

I have read your case and understand that you are experiencing some issues with the current BIOS image for you NAS unit. I apologize for the inconvenience you have experienced. Since we are doing this online, it may require few e-mail exchanges before we can resolve the issue. Rest assured that I will do my best effort to help resolve your case in the least amount of time.

We would like to refer you to the forums as there is a thread that answers to this concern. Please visit this link viewtopic.php?p=268809#p268809

click that link and it takes you to chirpa's post in this thread about sending him a PM to get the USB stick. So now even support is directing people to chirpa. So obviously the next logical step is to open a support ticket to find chirpa...
Message 58 of 128
PeteCress
Apprentice

peterbanks wrote:
...case was upgraded to level 2

My guy got back to me yesterday:
From Agent ID: 41041
Case Number:14326926

Dear Mr. Creesswell,

This is
Jay again from NETGEAR 2nd Level Technical Support.

Sorry for the
short notice, I did not send the possible fix to you problem because I am
still waiting for an update from the customer who happen to have similar
issue with you. I just verified some important information with him and I
will send you an Email/call as soon as I received updates from the other
case.  

Thanks again for
choosing NETGEAR. Have a great day!

Sincerely,
Level 2 Technical Support

I wonder what their organizational structure looks like?

All one group in physical proximity?

Different subcontractors all over the world?
Message 59 of 128
Queonda
Aspirant

OMG, support SUX! (Just venting)

I just got a download link to download version 1.1 and the date is 6/10/2010. But I was asking for my ultra 6 plus. And my current version 1.6.
:roll:
Message 60 of 128
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Queonda, the Ultra 6 Plus doesn't need a BIOS update to the best of my knowledge. The BIOS it has in common with the Pro (presumably) should be fine.

The Ultra 6 uses different hardware and required a different BIOS to be developed. Do not try to install the Ultra 6 BIOS on the Ultra 6 Plus. It would be asking for trouble.
Message 61 of 128
Queonda
Aspirant

mdgm wrote:
Queonda, the Ultra 6 Plus doesn't need a BIOS update to the best of my knowledge. The BIOS it has in common with the Pro (presumably) should be fine.

The Ultra 6 uses different hardware and required a different BIOS to be developed. Do not try to install the Ultra 6 BIOS on the Ultra 6 Plus. It would be asking for trouble.

Yes, I know better than that. Thanks for warning me. My current bios is My bios ver is 10/03/2008 FLAME6-MB V1.6 2008

Do you think 2008 is the latest for mine? That's why I'm trying to find out what the latest for the plus should be.
Message 62 of 128
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It most likely is the latest. The Ultra 6 Plus uses the same hardware as the Pro, a product released late 2008. If the BIOS has been fine for over 2 years, I can't see a reason for another update to be needed now.
Message 63 of 128
Queonda
Aspirant

Thanks for you wisdom/knowledge. I just have an issue with write throughput but tech support can't help and I haven't gotten resolved.
http://www.readynas.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=51&t=49562
Message 64 of 128
peterbanks
Aspirant

Jeremiah came through with a link to download the update. These were the instructions that I recieved:

Here are the instructions on how to upgrade the Bios upgrade:
1. Plug USB flash into front USB port.
2. Power on, depress and hold the backup button for about 50 seconds.
3. Once the update process is finished, the NAS will auto power off.

I'm on a Mac, the link downloaded an .img which I mounted and then copied the contents to my usb drive. I'm guessing that's what I was supposed to do? Someone help me if I'm wrong. Then I powered off the ULTRA6 and followed the above instructions. The unit just sits with ReadyNAS showing on the display, is there supposed to be some sort of indication of whether or not it is flashing the BIOS? How long does it take? Anyone who has completed this successfully please share what you did. Thanks
Message 65 of 128
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

peterbanks, that's wrong.

Here's what you need to do to get the image onto the USB key (you need the image to be cloned onto the USB key, not merely copy the contents):

Open finder, go to /Applications/Utilities folder and open the Disk Utility. When you take a look at your USB pen drive, it should have a Device ID for the partition on the USB drive. In the example to the left, the device ID is “disk1s1”.

Before you attempt to use the dd command to burn the image to the USB drive, you will need to unmount the partition on the USB drive. If you attempt to burn the image with the partitions mounted, you will write the image inside of the partition instead of to the partition. In the disk utility window, highlight the first partition that is on the USB drive and click on the unmount button at the top of the window. The drive will be removed as an Icon from the desktop and the partition icon on the right will be greyed out.

Now you will need to open the terminal to burn the image to the USB drive. The Terminal application is located in the same /Applications/Utilities folder that the Disk Utility is located. Before you start the dd command, you can run “ls /dev/disk*” command to ensure that the computer still sees the USB drive as being connected. If the computer still sees the Device ID, it should be able to write the image to the drive.

The command will be something like the following example.

dd if=/Users/User/Desktop/USB.img of=/dev/disk1s1

When you are typing in the path after “if=”, you can drag the icon over to the command line and it should fill in the path to the image file for you. The destination will be the device id that we saw in the Drive Utility. During the dd command is running, you will not see any indication of the progress. Once it has completed, it will tell you how long the process took.
Message 66 of 128
peterbanks
Aspirant

Thank you mdgm! Is there anything to indicate if the Ultra 6 is updating? I followed the instructions to clone the image and then followed the previous instructions on what to with the USB, but the 6 is just sitting with ReadyNAS showing on the display? Do I need to let it fully power on, then hold down the backup button?
Message 67 of 128
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

No. I think I pressed and held the backup button and then turned the NAS on. I kept the backup button pressed in. After a few minutes the NAS switched itself off.

Another thing to note is that not all USB keys work. So if one doesn't work try another.
Message 68 of 128
peterbanks
Aspirant

OK, I'm at a loss. So far I've tried two different USB's without success. My USB's device ID is disk6 for the drive and disk6s1 for the partition, I've tried cloning the image and attempting to update with each one, but still no go. I've held the backup button for four minutes to see if I wasn't holding it long enough, but that wasn't the case. When I clone the image it shows that 8 MB's (it displays it as bytes) have been copied, the image name that I downloaded from the support link is: UltraBIOS.dd.img. Do I need to rename it to something else? Do I need to mount the image first and then clone the contents to the USB? This is getting out of control. Thanks again for any help.
Message 69 of 128
PeteCress
Apprentice

peterbanks wrote:
OK, I'm at a loss. So far I've tried two different USB's without success...

Reading these accounts, I worry about losing my data trying to flash the firmware.

For me, lost data = couple days down time plus the attendant hassle. Worst-case, bricking the box.

Short-term, I can live with pushing the on-button every morning and without WOL.

So I think I'll kick back and wait for an officially-sanctioned and tested fix - along with some instructions and glowing reports from guinea pigs, errr... I mean..... satisfied users....
Message 70 of 128
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The USB key I was sent worked fine. Perhaps try some more keys

The image must not be mounted when you go to clone it onto the USB key.
Message 71 of 128
peterbanks
Aspirant

PeteCress wrote:
So I think I'll kick back and wait for an officially-sanctioned and tested fix - along with some instructions and glowing reports from guinea pigs, errr... I mean..... satisfied users....

I'm about at that point. Here's hoping that they actually do come out with a "officially-sanctioned" fix. Or chirpa could just send me the USB key...
Message 72 of 128
yoh-dah
Guide

peterbanks wrote:
PeteCress wrote:

I'm about at that point. Here's hoping that they actually do come out with a "officially-sanctioned" fix. Or chirpa could just send me the USB key...

We're working on an add-on that doesn't require a USB key. Stay tuned...
Message 73 of 128
PeteCress
Apprentice

==============> Uh-Oh! <==============

Well, NetGear Support sent me a Bios update and I just couldn't resist.

Followed the instructions that came with it.

Seemed to have worked at first.

To Wit:
  • bios_Ver.log shows a different date albeit the same 1.1 version

• It seemed like a couple of the WOL utilities I tried were getting through and waking the box up

But somewhere along the line as I was testing, the box started "Booting...." and then "Shutting Down".

Seems to go through the entire boot cycle and then shut itself down.

One thing that sticks out is the behavior of the On/Off button: when the box is off, pressing the button results in an instant blue light whereas when the box was working there was a couple seconds pause until the blue light came on - like maybe the box is in some sort of "state"....

I tried the Reset | Reinstall OS thing, but it hasn't helped and I *hope* my data is still intact - although there's no way to know right now. I guess we won't be watching Charlie Rose over breakfast tomorrow....-)

Only hopeful thing that comes to mind is that, in testing, I reset Power Management's Thursday Startup to a few hours ago and *maybe* I fat-fingered it somehow so that it's a Shutdown command instead and the box is shutting itself down even though the time has past.

Anybody heard this one before? I mean the "Booting" ==> "Shutting Down"....

Workarounds? Or have I been hosed by my own foolhardyness?
Message 74 of 128
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

PeteCress this should be an easy issue for tech support to resolve. Contact them about it and work with them.
Message 75 of 128
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
Announcements