× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.3.3 Beta... network dropouts on both links...

ifixidevices
Luminary

6.3.3 Beta... network dropouts on both links...

Since updating to this beta I've had one dropout on my lan link (eth1) and one dropout on my wan link (eth0)... only thing that fixes it is rebooting the unit.

Never had this happen before prior to this beta. There's no rhyme or reason to the dropout but it's the first time this has ever happened on OS 6.
Message 1 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Just after encountering this issue can you download your logs and send them in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig)?

It's best if you download them just after encountering the issue as the relevant entries will then be near the end of the logs.
Message 2 of 17
ifixidevices
Luminary

Well I'll have to go into the office to do that... apparently now both links went down and I can't even access it.

Can I downgrade back to the last version or am I stuck on the 6.3.3?
Message 3 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

You can downgrade back to 6.2.x e.g. 6.2.3 Beta 3.
Message 4 of 17
AndreasKa
Tutor

Not sure if it's related but I also had dropout issues on OS 6.2.2 when using anything but the supplied yellow network cable.
Plugging in another (proved working) CAT6 cable would cause either a dropout or set back to 100mbps. The only way i could remedy it was to buy a CAT7 cable
Message 5 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

CAT5e or CAT6 cables should work fine. Perhaps the cable was bad or not connected properly.

Looks like your eth0 was coming up as 100Mbps.

Have you tried running a defrag on your system? Looks like you may have a fair bit of fragmentation.
Message 6 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

ifixidevices, looks like you're running a ReadyNAS Pro. That unit uses a Marvell NIC, and the new kernel is using the kernel's default driver for that part, rather than Marvell's out-of-kernel driver. There's a chance that the issue is with 64-bit DMA, as I noticed that you have upgraded your RAM to 8GB. Would it be easy for you to try removing some of the RAM, to get under 4GB?
Message 7 of 17
AndreasKa
Tutor

mdgm wrote:
CAT5e or CAT6 cables should work fine. Perhaps the cable was bad or not connected properly.

cable worked fine @ 1gbps with all my other equipment just not the NAS unit...but i'm hijacking the thread so i'll cease now.
Message 8 of 17
ifixidevices
Luminary

mdgm: I ran a defrag a little while ago along with a scrub not too long ago. Things get thrown on and off the box quite a bit though so I'll run a defrag on it.

Skywalker: That definitely could be a problem with the drivers (which would stink because it sounds like unless marvell updated the drivers for the current kernel I'm stuck where I'm at software wise.

As for removing ram, I was at 4GB's and just put 8GB's back into the unit (hynix memory, usually have very good luck with their memory.) I took it out to diagnose an issue I was having with command timeouts but that turned out to be a voltage issue with running a Q6600 CPU. I don't have the problem on the 6.2.3 beta with dropouts and 8GB's of ram. I can't remove the ram at the moment to test the theory because I have active clients backing up remotely via time machine. I'm eventually going to get a 516 or a 716 (would prefer the 716) but haven't convinced my wife it's a necessity for the business. I'd love to get a 12 bay model for remote time machine backups for clients but until the issue with dropping active clients while adding new user accounts or private time machines gets fixed I can't justify it because right now with my trials if I add a new account or private time machine backup any time machine backup in progress remotely running to the readynas gets booted and then the next time their machine connects to do a time machine backup it says the backup is in use, even if I restart the unit. If we fix that issue I'm all down for spending $4K+ on a nice unit and throwing it in the local datacenter and proving time machine backups to most of my customers in my community (I could have hundreds of accounts, but again managing them if something goes wrong would be a nightmare. Most of these people time machine would just have to work and stay working without issue in order for it not to be a nightmare for me.

It'd be a HUGE advantage for the community because if their computer's hard drive crashed or they needed their data back fast it's local, so it's way easier to sell people on backing up to my service than a service such as crashplan or carbonite. I can have a system with TB's of data running again in hours if there's a failure vs downloading from crashplan or carbonite which would take days if not weeks, not to mention they charge an arm and a leg if you want them to send out a drive with your backup on it.

Perhaps we should work together and we could setup a beta scenario. I'd love to do some testing for you guys with regards to time machine functionality. You could tout these nas boxes to a new market of small business owners who want to provide local backup services to hundreds of local customers. It'd be profitable for us small business owners and it'd be profitable for netgear because we'd need a lot of units and have a lot of interest. Just something to think about 😉 wink wink. PM me if you're interested in my philosophy or email me service @ ifixidevices . com

Right now I've got about 6 clients backing up (could have access to 50 by the end of the month, maybe more.) So far one client has backed up about 1.5TB's of data through time machine over her internet connection. We have a datacenter right here in our town (vaultas in alexandria MN) that I could easily drop a 12 bay unit into and have enough incoming bandwidth to support lots of clients at a time. Again the prospect is very exciting. I plan on eventually getting ibackupidevices.com running and people can order packages through the website and then we have tutorials showing them how to set up their backup and whatnot.

Sorry for all the ramblings, I just know I could make a lot of money and I'd need at least two 12bay units to start out with for redundancy purposes. From there who knows 🙂
Message 9 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

That Time Machine issue was not reproducible so we would need more detailed steps to reproduce that.
Message 10 of 17
ifixidevices
Luminary

Ok so I have my clients backup remotely to my readynas via private time machines. If one computer is remotely backing up and I then go to add an account, or add a private time machine, it immediately kills the time machine backup that is currently running. Upon telling the client computer to backup again it says that it can't backup because the backup is in use. Most of the time I have to remotely log into the clients computer, remove the readynas from their time machine backup settings, then re-add it and only then does it allow the computer to start backing up again.

So if I have a customer who's backing up a TB of data it takes a while. I might need to add an account while their computer is still backing up. I can't currently do that because it screws up the backup already in progress. I don't want to have to intervene every time I add a new user and then go in and have to remotely log into all the clients that might have been backing up at that specific point in time. It's very frustrating.

This of course does not necessarily happen on the lan side, but it does over the wan side.
Message 11 of 17
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

ifixidevices wrote:
This of course does not necessarily happen on the lan side, but it does over the wan side.

Err, that doesn't make sense. The NAS has no idea whether it's on a LAN or WAN.
Message 12 of 17
arikalish
Apprentice

Adding accounts and private time machine access both appear to cause the sharing services to get restarted. That would explain the time machine failures. The Mac getting angry is because it left the backup in a state it can't recover from automatically.
Message 13 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The AFP/Time Machine service was not restarted when we tested it internally trying to reproduce the problem. Can you send in your logs too?
Message 14 of 17
arikalish
Apprentice

I should note I'm running 6.2.2. Now that I think a bit harder the sharing services were restarted when I reset permissions on the shares post-config restore thanks to a btrfs corruption issue. The sharing services weren't seeing any of the users until I removed and readded them one at a time. Since adding private time machines edits the afp service config doesn't it require that service to restart?

Also: logs sent.
Message 15 of 17
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Reloading the Config is not the same as restarting the service.
Message 16 of 17
ifixidevices
Luminary

I'm running a pro 6 on OS 6 so it's probably that. Like I said I need to get my hands on some new hardware but it's hard for me to justify dropping 3K on a 716 or or 5.5K on a 4220 when my idea won't work.

I'd like to gradually grow the system up but I can assure you that when a backup is running it kills the backup process when adding an account or private time machine. I have a macbook at home. I can film myself on the macbook creating an account while backing up and the backup will stop immediately and then proceed to complain about not being able to backup again (because the nas stopped the backup, if the mac computer stops the backup it has no problem re-establishing it at a later point in time.)

I want to offer the service as a paid service to clients and business clients but for now I'm just offering it for free to a few clients for testing purposes. I don't think it'd be ready for the prime-time and of the few people I do have beta testing the process they frequently tell me that their time machine won't backup and I have to fix the problem on their end. This only happens after I either have to restart the unit due to an update or a lockup or adding users/private time machines. Backing up to the public time machine with a new mac while existing ones are backing up doesn't cause any problems.

Right now I'm using the box for time machine backups and also for a file server for a variety of things... not sure if that has anything to do with it and I need to buy another box, use the pro 6 just for time machine backups and use a separate one for files (or vise versa)
Message 17 of 17
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 16 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 5 in conversation
Announcements