× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.4.0 Beta 3 and 4 problems with Plex

Iridahonda
Aspirant

6.4.0 Beta 3 and 4 problems with Plex

Tried beta 3 and 4 on my 516. Both appear to cause Plex to crash every night.
Message 1 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Re: 6.4.0 Beta 3 and 4 problems with Plex

Can you describe your usage of Plex in more detail?

Please also send your logs in (see the Sending Logs link in my sig).

Message 2 of 22
Iridahonda
Aspirant

I am using Plex Media Server Version 0.9.12.11.1406-8403350

With just the server running every night it fail at some point when not in use.  I think Plex does some house keeping at night but not sure if this is relevant.  Previous OS6 beta versions have been no problem.  Looks like someone else on here has the same issue.

I will try and send the logs

/T

Message 3 of 22
llemoine
Aspirant

Have the same issue, with the same version of Plex (currently 6.4.0 Beta 3)

every morning, plex is stopped : haven't found anything interesting in Plex logs

Message 4 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Have you ever done any volume maintenance on this system?

llemoine can you send in your logs too (see the Sending Logs link in my sig). I'm interested in the NAS logs rather than the Plex logs.

Message 5 of 22
vinniemac
Luminary

I think I started a new thread but will continue on this one as it is the exact same issue.

Running an RN312 here on ReadyNAS Beta 4.

LAN1 - 192.168.0.2

LAN2 - 192.168.1.2

Devices using Plex are connected through LAN1

It does seem as though Plex is being intermittently killed/terminated. This did not happen on 6.2.4 or 6.3.5 Versions.

The ReadyNAS in my environment is doing nothing more than providing storage for Documents, Downloads, Pictures and Movies etc and Plex is providing media to an Amazon Firestick.

I have PhPSysinfo and this does not get killed/terminated but the only difference is that Plex can be Toggled on/off and PhPSysinfo seems to run as a static process, therefore it cannot be toggled off.

There is unfortunately nothing in the logs either to indicate any potential 'crash' happening. It seems the NAS is killing/terminating the process in the correct manner that you would if you toggled the process ON/OFF.

Best Wishes

Vincent

Message 6 of 22
Iridahonda
Aspirant

Yes - this is the exact same issue Vincent that I have with my 516.  I have tried several versions of Plex.

Message 7 of 22
StephenB
Guru

@Iridahonda wrote:

Yes - this is the exact same issue Vincent that I have with my 516.  I have tried several versions of Plex.

Clearly it is an issue.  

I think the idea that the readynas is "killing" the plex app is likely wrong, and that Vincent is reading too much into the absence of info in the plex logs.  It seems far more likely that the new kernel is destabilizing plex.

Netgear (and perhaps plex) need to look into it for sure.

Message 8 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Are any of you using Mobile Sync? There are some Mobile Sync fixes in the latest PlexPass release: https://forums.plex.tv/discussion/62832/plex-media-server#latest

I still only have logs from one user.

Message 9 of 22
CLHatch
Luminary

It's worth mentioning that Plex was one of the apps that was shutting down on me when I first updated to the first 6.40 beta. Factory reset and reinstall of Plex fixed it for me. Could have been a completely different issue, of course, and I have no logs to verify either way.
Message 10 of 22
llemoine
Aspirant

mdgm, I sent logs according to your procedure

Message 11 of 22
vinniemac
Luminary

Though, if the Kernel is destabilizing plex then the process is ending somehow and something is ending that process.

It is not uncommon for processes to prematurely terminate without a sniff of a core log or otherwise, so no reason that the ReadyNAS would be different. It does after all run Debian just like hundreds of other servers out there.

That being said, I did perform a factory reset and reinstalled Plex like another contributor and this seems to have resolved the issue...

I think the Thoery of destablibisation is correct in some way and why just a simple removal and install of Plex doesnt fix the issue, we will never know.

What has changed from 6.3.5 to 6.4.0 does seem to have caused the issue but I think to properly diagnose from an end user point of view would require vebose logging on the Plex side and possibly the OS Side.

I don't run any MobileSync just for reference.

Best Wishes

Vincent

Message 12 of 22
guyp2k
Aspirant

+1 and a reinstall of Plex did not address the issue, Plex is terminated and I have to restart the service.

Thanks

Message 13 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The problem is not the kernel.

We think we have identified what is causing the problem and have a change in the next beta build which will hopefully resolve this.

Message 14 of 22
CLHatch
Luminary

@mdgm wrote:

The problem is not the kernel.

We think we have identified what is causing the problem and have a change in the next beta build which will hopefully resolve this.

When I had the issue, there were other apps shutting down on me too... I think Transmission and SABnzbd were two others.

Message 15 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Yes, that would be consistent with the issue that we found. You may have seen services such as SMB shutdown too. This is not a bug with Plex.

Try Beta 5 once that is released.

Message 16 of 22
CLHatch
Luminary

@mdgm wrote:

Yes, that would be consistent with the issue that we found. You may have seen services such as SMB shutdown too. This is not a bug with Plex.

Try Beta 5 once that is released.

Good to know.  I may have had SMB shut down on me at some time, did have to reboot the NAS once I remember.  So what seems to be the issue, some "cleanup" task (shutting down services to conserve memory, maybe), gone rogue?

Message 17 of 22
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

It is a bug with snapshot pruning.

Message 18 of 22
vinniemac
Luminary

Good to know the cause, I'd not thought of snapshots. I guess Disabling snapshots may have restored normal operation.

Come to mention it I had noticed that occasionally SMB shares were not available. I just rebooted the NAS as determined this might be a network cause.

Looking forward to Beta 5 - it's great these issues are having a quick turnaround.

Cheers
Message 19 of 22
vinniemac
Luminary

I can confirm that 6.4.0-T140 (Beta 5) has resolved this issue for my ReadyNAS RN312.

Good work!

Cheers

Message 20 of 22
CLHatch
Luminary

I haven't had any apps (Plex included) shut down on me since updating to Beta 5 myself.  Beta 4, Deluge would occasionally shut down on me (decided to try it instead of Transmission recently), but that is no longer the case with Beta 5.  Betting it was the same issue.

Message 21 of 22
llemoine
Aspirant

Re : 6.4.0 Beta 3 and 4 problems with Plex

After 1 week, no more Plex shutdown

Beta 5 solves this issue, thanks for fast solution !

Message 22 of 22
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 21 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 7 in conversation
Announcements