× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.5.0 Beta Impressions

StephenB
Guru

6.5.0 Beta Impressions

-On my RN102, performance is the same as 6.4.2.  That is, ~70-75 MB/sec read and write with jbod. Smiley Happy 

-I like the custom snapshot feature, but...

(a) it is a bit painful to configure each share individually

(b) I would also like the retention setting available with smart snapshots.  

-I like consolidating the backup button status into the backup list.

-I like listing available apps alphabetically.  Reverse sort is nice to have, but I don't see an immediate use.  I think a date-added sort would be more useful. I also like the idea of the filter, but would rather filter by the kind of app.  Filtering by developer might also be useful.

-Either I am missing something, or there are some options missing related to ftps backup.

(a) ability to require ftps

(b) ability to configure explicit/implicit FTP over TLS.

Message 1 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

installed this on my 2120 and pro 6

i like the fan speed control and new kernel 4.1.19

in the system ui the order is "overview settings volumes performance logs power"

should settings be further back? once set up you dont need to fiddle this very often

i prefer "overview volumes perforance ..."

Message 2 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@cpu8088 wrote:
 i like the fan speed control

It doesn't matter with my RN102 (its located where noise doesn't matter), but it will be useful on the RN202 (which is located in my office).

Netgear made the default "quiet", which I thought was interesting.  I set the RN102 to "balanced".

Of course, now we need a fan schedule Smiley Wink

Message 3 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@cpu8088 wrote:

in the system ui the order is "overview settings volumes performance logs power"

should settings be further back? once set up you dont need to fiddle this very often 

I personally do not like this change either. I'll make a request to switch it back to how it used to be. In older version of OS 6, Settings used to be the 2nd button. 

Message 4 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

settings can combine with power in one button

Message 5 of 19
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

@StephenB wrote:

Netgear made the default "quiet", which I thought was interesting.  I set the RN102 to "balanced".

Rackmount boxes default to "cool".  "Quiet" is closest to 6.4.x behavior, and it will remain the default for desktop units.  It still keeps temperature within the safe range specified by component manufacturers.  But some people are more concerned with operating temperatures than others.

Message 6 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

fan speed control button should be placed under settings as this is a setting

why arm based firmware cannot show performance graphs? i thought the rackmount 2120 should have grunts to run

Message 7 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The performance graphs are disabled on all ARM units for performance reasons.

The 2120 is a cost effective rackmount storage device e.g. for backing up to.

If the performance graphs are important to you that would probably suggest you have a use case where the RN3130/RN3138 would be more appropriate.

Message 8 of 19
cpu8088
Virtuoso

thanks mdgm

i cannot find any shop in aust that stock the 3138

Message 9 of 19
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

I just looked at one Australian seller's website which said that stock is sold out, and that it is available for pre-order with more stock expected to arrive at the distributor around the end of this month.

You're not likely to find a retail store that stocks this as this product is very much targeted at business users (most users in the home will use a desktop NAS), so purchasing from an online store that ships direct from the distributor would probably be best.

Message 10 of 19
anna_arun
NETGEAR Expert

Kudos to the development !!! Snapshot Retention at our choice / Amazon cloud Sync integration i liked most in this update .
Message 11 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Hi,

There a good few improvments in GUI, which is brillant, thanks!

I like the new snapshot management options and views 🙂

Here is what I think should be improved:

- The snapshot pruning option is well hidden under System / Volumes / Gear / Settings / Snapshot Prune

- The custom snapshot management is hidden as well. One needs to turn off Smart Snapshot Management to discover it, if you're not fiddling with the GUI, you won't see it. I think a switch between Smart Snapshot Management and Custom Snapshot Management, or Auto / Custom instead of On / Off, would make it more visible.

- The custom snapshot schedule is very confusing. What does marking the case 12:00-12:59 mean? Taking one snapshot at 12:00? Taking continuous snapshots? What does marking all the cases in one day mean? Taking one snapshot per day? Taking one snapshot per hour? Unless you know what you're doing, this isn't clear at all.

- I'm also very disappointed that VLANs still didn't make it to OS6.

- In Snapshots view, there is a close X button in top right corner. Unless I'm wrong, that's the only pop-up that uses that. Others always use a button at the bottom. Unconsistent 😉

Also, could we split Copy-on-Write and Bit Rot protection into two separate options. As they are indeed two unrelated things, they should be two separate features.

Message 12 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Pleas add a Host Port Setting in the Backup Section for 

remote: Rsync over Remote SSH

and also for

remote: ftp

Some Users use different Ports for Security reasons.

Model: RN204|ReadyNAS204 4-Bay
Message 13 of 19
StephenB
Guru

@techt wrote:

Pleas add a Host Port Setting in the Backup Section for 

remote: Rsync over Remote SSH

and also for

remote: ftp

Some Users use different Ports for Security reasons.

I agree this would be useful.  Perhaps also post it in the idea exchange.

Message 14 of 19
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Message 15 of 19
kohdee
NETGEAR Expert

@jak0lantash wrote:

Hi,

There a good few improvments in GUI, which is brillant, thanks!

I like the new snapshot management options and views 🙂

Here is what I think should be improved:

- The snapshot pruning option is well hidden under System / Volumes / Gear / Settings / Snapshot Prune

- The custom snapshot management is hidden as well. One needs to turn off Smart Snapshot Management to discover it, if you're not fiddling with the GUI, you won't see it. I think a switch between Smart Snapshot Management and Custom Snapshot Management, or Auto / Custom instead of On / Off, would make it more visible.

- The custom snapshot schedule is very confusing. What does marking the case 12:00-12:59 mean? Taking one snapshot at 12:00? Taking continuous snapshots? What does marking all the cases in one day mean? Taking one snapshot per day? Taking one snapshot per hour? Unless you know what you're doing, this isn't clear at all.

- I'm also very disappointed that VLANs still didn't make it to OS6.

- In Snapshots view, there is a close X button in top right corner. Unless I'm wrong, that's the only pop-up that uses that. Others always use a button at the bottom. Unconsistent 😉

Also, could we split Copy-on-Write and Bit Rot protection into two separate options. As they are indeed two unrelated things, they should be two separate features.

Snapshot pruning is a per-volume setting. 

Custom snapshot schedule of 12:00 - 12:59 is a range in which the snapshot will take.  It'll take a snapshot between that time frame. The file system should probably be quiescent before taking a snapshot -- if the fs is not quiescent and requested a snapshot directly at 12:00, then possibly you will not get the full data. If it takes more than 12:59 for it to become quiescent, it might not take a snapshot.  This style of time-ranges has been in ReadyNAS units since I remember.  Marking it once every hour will take it once an hour on the hour, as long as it is quiescent. 

If you have specific complaints, please add your complaints to a thread specifically for the issue (if there isn't one, please create one). Eventually, threads like this become too long and it can be difficult to disseminate and catch all specific problems.  Thanks!
Thread Subject: 6.5.0 Beta 1 - [Problem here] 

Message 16 of 19
mangrove
Apprentice

Is fan control compatible with legacy units?

Message 17 of 19
Skywalker
NETGEAR Expert

Yes, it is.

Message 18 of 19
mangrove
Apprentice

Thanks Skywalker!

Message 19 of 19
Top Contributors