× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

6.5.0-RC3 not making snapshots on one system

StephenB
Guru

6.5.0-RC3 not making snapshots on one system

My RN202 has most shares set to for custom snapshots with 3 months retention.  But snapshots are not being taken per the schedule.  I thought initially that "only take snapshots with changes" wasn't working quite right, so I cleared that setting on one share.

But last night a snapshot still wasn't made - the only snapshot for that share is 7 May, which was around the time the volume was created.

My RN102 has an identical configuration (also RC3), and snapshots are working on that machine.

Message 1 of 6
StephenB
Guru

Re: 6.5.0-RC3 not making snapshots on one system

I switched one share from "custom" to "smart" snapshots, and a snapshot was created on that particular share this morning.  The single previous snapshot (7 May) was deleted - not sure why that happened.

Message 2 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

The logs are complaining about the snapshot on the TV share. Not sure why.

Message 3 of 6
StephenB
Guru

That one was switched to "SMART" as a test, and those snapshots are being created per the GUI (at least they were yesterday and today).  Behavior on other shares didn't change, though I did get more warnings today on snapshot creation failure - on some shares but not all.

If someone from netgear wants to take a peek, just let me know.

Message 4 of 6
StephenB
Guru

@StephenB wrote:

If someone from netgear wants to take a peek, just let me know.

Netgear has looked, and is still analyzing.

The issue is related to disk spindown - I disabled that for the time-window when the snapshots were being made, and all custom snapshots were created normally (for the first time in a few weeks). 

If you are using the custom snapshots, you might want to make sure spindown is disabled when they are made.  Also you might want to disable the "make snapshots only with changes", since it is hard to diagnose missed snapshots when that is turned on.

Message 5 of 6
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

oops.

Message 6 of 6
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 5 replies
  • 0 kudos
  • 2 in conversation
Announcements