× NETGEAR will be terminating ReadyCLOUD service by July 1st, 2023. For more details click here.
Orbi WiFi 7 RBE973

Re: 6.7.1 : change of the MTU freeze the system after seconds

GH
Aspirant
Aspirant

6.7.0 / 6.7.1 beta : change of the MTU freeze the system after seconds

I cannot change MTU of the active network card, after a few seconds the system will freeze.
If I connect the Ethernet cable to the second interface and change the MTU to the first (now inactive), I can go back to the first after a reboot and the new MTU is activ. (I used jumbo frames, 9000)

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 1 of 25
kevinfor2014
Guide

Re: 6.7.0 / 6.7.1 beta : change of the MTU freeze the system after seconds

I ran into something similar .. when I changed the MTU to 9198 (to match the XS716 switch) on an LACP Bonded 10G .. on the 628x - the NIC lights on the NAS when off /disconnected.. and I had to reboot it..  I reported this to tech support , they said the max MTU was 9016 but to use 9000 - when I set it to 9000 it set with no problems... they said they would open a bug on this firmware 6.7.1-T252  on this & would prevent customers entering a value higher then what is supported.

I know this is not exactly the same issue you have.. but when they fix the bug, regression testing might catch your issue..  have you tested with the latest T252 firmware?

Model: RN628X|ReadyNAS 628X - Ultimate Performance Business Data Storage - 8-Bay
Message 2 of 25
GH
Aspirant
Aspirant

The problem is the changing of the MTU, the NAS freezes as soon as the modified MTU value is set via the GUI. The max size of the MTU is not the problem, they should not change.

I have set now a MTU of 9200 on RN104 . The USB3 NIC of the laptop, the switch (Netgear GS108Ev2) and the RN104 works fine with this. But you can not change the MTU from GUI. Even if you set it to 4000 by the GUI, it freezes. But there is the Workaround using the other Ethernet port.

ifconfig eth0
eth0 Link encap:Ethernet HWaddr 28:c6:8e:34:c6:7a
inet addr:10.19.54.10 Bcast:10.19.54.255 Mask:255.255.255.0
inet6 addr: 2001:16b8:45e:b400:2ac6:8eff:fe34:c67a/64 Scope:Global
inet6 addr: fe80::2ac6:8eff:fe34:c67a/64 Scope:Link
UP BROADCAST RUNNING MULTICAST MTU:9200 Metric:1        <===
RX packets:1343993 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 frame:0
TX packets:1430831 errors:0 dropped:0 overruns:0 carrier:0
collisions:0 txqueuelen:532
RX bytes:856038660 (816.3 MiB) TX bytes:1379964694 (1.2 GiB)
Interrupt:26

FYI:
ping rn104 -f -l 9170

Ping wird ausgeführt für rn104.fritz.box [10.19.54.10] mit 9170 Bytes Daten:

Antwort von 10.19.54.10: Bytes=9170 Zeit<1ms TTL=64

Antwort von 10.19.54.10: Bytes=9170 Zeit<1ms TTL=64

ping rn104 -f -l 9172

Ping wird ausgeführt für rn104.fritz.box [10.19.54.10] mit 9172 Bytes Daten:

Paket müsste fragmentiert werden, DF-Flag ist jedoch gesetzt.

Paket müsste fragmentiert werden, DF-Flag ist jedoch gesetzt.

Model: RN104|ReadyNAS 100 Series
Message 3 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

6.7.1 has been officially released in the meantime. You could try installing it to see whether there is an improvement. However, you need to manually install it, as it is not on the update server currently (To get it from there you might need to wait for a few more days).

Here is a link to the release notes (on that page there is also a link to download the fw):

https://kb.netgear.com/000038557/ReadyNAS-OS-6-Software-Version-6-7-1

For manual installation on your nas go to the admin webpage /system/settings and in the section "update" hit the button "install firmware". Then follow the dialog to locate the fw on your workstation and get it installed.

Message 4 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

For manual installation on your nas go to the admin webpage /system/settings and in the section "update" hit the button "install firmware". Then follow the dialog to locate the fw on your workstation and get it installed.

Remember to unzip it before you install Smiley Wink

Message 5 of 25
GH
Aspirant
Aspirant

In the release note is no hint that there was an change on the MTU setting, so I assume there is no need to check the new version.

Message 6 of 25
jak0lantash
Mentor

Honestly, on an RN104, there is no point using Jumbo Frames. The performance of the NAS is bottlenecked by the CPU anyway.

Supposing that you could benchmark and prove that there is a performance difference between Jumbo Frames and no Jumbo Frames on an RN104, it would be so small and unnoticeable that the pain of getting it to work, the increased unreliability, would make it not worth bothering trying.

Imho,  it should work, but it's not worth the effort of trying to get it to work if it doesn't straight away.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/Using-your-ReadyNAS/LACP-and-Jumbo-Frames/m-p/1097891#M110790

Message 7 of 25
jak0lantash
Mentor

@GH wrote:

In the release note is no hint that there was an change on the MTU setting, so I assume there is no need to check the new version.

https://community.netgear.com/t5/ReadyNAS-Beta-Release/Defrag-and-Balance-with-FW-6-7-0-and-6-7-1-Be...

Message 8 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Well, it looks like you currently are running beta software. With ANY kind of issue related to that and the official release finally delivered, to my understanding one should not hesitate to replace the beta with the official release to avoid any casualties.

Message 9 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

Well, it looks like you currently are running beta software. 

Who are you responding to, and where did you get that info?

Message 10 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

StephenB wrote: "(A) Who are you responding to, and (B) where did you get that info?"

@A: Default addressee in a thread like this is the topic owner and I do not need to explicitely mention that in a new response.
@B: The subject of the thread is "6.7.0 / 6.7.1 beta : change of the MTU freeze the system after seconds". This is giving me a strong enough hint to assume, that at the time GH was creating this topic 6.7.1 beta was the current fw on the concerned nas.

Message 11 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@Retired_Member wrote:

I do not need to explicitly mention that in a new response.

I wasn't intending to scold.  I honestly wasn't clear on who you were addressing.

FWIW, I agree that @GH should retest with the released 6.7.1. It'd be great if he followed up here with the results.

Message 12 of 25
GH
Aspirant
Aspirant

I installed version 6.7.1 final and changed the MTU again. The Rn104 freezes immediately, an error message appears on the LCD.
After that, I could only reboot via power off / on.

Can anybody else check, it’s very easy to reproduce, simply change MTU setting.

Model: RN10443D|ReadyNAS 100 Series 4-Bay
Message 13 of 25
Retired_Member
Not applicable

Now I would like to support jak0lantash recommending to not change the MTU settings (Jumbo frames - all pain no gain 🙂

Message 14 of 25
GH
Aspirant
Aspirant

Hi RolandWausE,

No gain?  If there is an official feature it should be usable. I often copy larger image files and the difference is clear.

FYI: Iperf3 shows: RN104 <- >108 <-> Dell XPS15

MTU: 9000
C:\ut\Iperf\iperf-3.1.3-win64>iperf3 -c 10.19.54.10
Connecting to host 10.19.54.10, port 5201
[ 4] local 10.19.54.40 port 54171 connected to 10.19.54.10 port 5201
[ ID] Interval            Transfer       Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.14 GBytes 983 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 1.14 GBytes 983 Mbits/sec receiver

MTU: 1500
C:\ut\Iperf\iperf-3.1.3-win64>iperf3 -c 10.19.54.10
Connecting to host 10.19.54.10, port 5201
[ 4] local 10.19.54.40 port 54554 connected to 10.19.54.10 port 5201
[ ID] Interval            Transfer      Bandwidth
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 465 MBytes 390 Mbits/sec sender
[ 4] 0.00-10.00 sec 465 MBytes 390 Mbits/sec receiver

Message 15 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@GH wrote:

I often copy larger image files and the difference is clear.

Certainly iPerf will give higher speeds.  That won't necessarily translate to SMB.

But JF improves performance because it reduces the packets-per-second processing load on the client devices - it doesn't improve the network speed itself. So I'd actually expect JF to make more of a difference on an low-end NAS like the RN100 series than it would on a high-end NAS with a fast CPU.

I'd be interested if you have any measurements of SMB performance - perhaps use NASTester: http://www.808.dk/?code-csharp-nas-performance

@GH wrote:

RN104, 4 disks WDC WD20EFRX-68EUZN0, ReadyNASOS-6.4.0 , Win10 64

You might want to update your signature.

BTW, one reason for requesting the retest - in my experience Netgear development is far more likely to engage when you find a problem with the current firmware.

Message 16 of 25
jak0lantash
Mentor

Real life numbers have sense. So storage benchmarking and actual file transfer with and without Jumbo Frame.

On an RN104, the throughput is low enough for that 5% theoretical improvement to make a difference in throughput of, at most, several hundred KB/s. Still not worth the effort imho.

Message 17 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

...that 5% theoretical improvement...

Where do you get 5% theoretical improvement?

Message 18 of 25
jak0lantash
Mentor

Message 19 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jumbo_frame#Bandwidth_efficiency

On most networks that has almost nothing to do with the speed up (although many articles in the press don't get this).

When you increase the MTU by 6x, the NAS (and PC) are processing 1/6 the number of packets to read or write the same file.  That significantly reduces the interrupt rate and per-packet processing overhead in the CPUs.  In linux, the rate of kernel/user mode context switches drops.  

The CPU benefit was pointed in an old analysis by Alteon (who invented jumbo frames back in the day), backed up with measurements.  And it's still the main benefit with slower CPUs.  As you saw in the post above, the result with iPerf on the RN100 was that throughput doubled - much more than reduction in link overhead.  

If processing can be off-loaded to the NIC hardware, and you enable some other off-loading features (interupt moderation for instance) the CPU performance benefit often largely evaporates.  It does depend on how well optimized the NIC driver is - sometimes enabling those features makes throughput worse.  Of course if you have a fast CPU in the first place, the throughput benefit is much less.

The impact with SMB will be less than iperf, because the CPU is also busy managing the disks, and that part of the load doesn't depend on the network MTU.

As far as the network itself goes, larger MTUs reduce overhead (as shown in your reference), and can reduce or eliminate packet fragmentation in some applications. 

On the negative side, larger MTUs increase latency and jitter, which is a drawback when VOIP and other real-time applications are running on the same network path.  Larger packets require more buffering in switches (and also in the client devices).  I don't think the cost of that memory matters much - it's more about the latency/jitter that the buffering adds. I've seen an analysis that sizes the memory increase in a 24 port switch at about 3 MB.

As a practical matter, managing MTUs can be a pain, and that matters because MTU discovery often fails.  Everything needs to be gigabit, and you are limited to the smallest MTU across all your devices.  I don't find that to be worth the hassle - but I get 100MB+ speeds with my x86 NAS without jumbo frames.

Message 20 of 25
jak0lantash
Mentor

I hear you. But I still think that transfer times won't be very different. Of course, I can be wrong.
If OP was able to test Jumbo Frames with iPerf, then next step is to test Jumbo Frames with actual data transfer.
That discussion is about the point of using it, but I feel like disturbing the actual purpose of the thread:
If the NAS freezes when changing the MTU, that's a bug. It should be looked at by NETGEAR.
Message 21 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@jak0lantash wrote:

If OP was able to test Jumbo Frames with iPerf, then next step is to test Jumbo Frames with actual data transfer.

Exactly, which is why I suggested that. 

@jak0lantash wrote:

If the NAS freezes when changing the MTU, that's a bug. It should be looked at by NETGEAR.

I think the OP still needs to confirm that it happens with the 6.7.1 production version.  That should be easy to check, as this doesn't seem to be intermittent.

Message 22 of 25
GH
Aspirant
Aspirant

@StephenB  As postet on 2017-05-02 05:27 AM it is the production version 6.7.1

Message 23 of 25
StephenB
Guru

@GH wrote:

it is the production version 6.7.1

Sorry, I missed that post.

I suggest PMing @mdgm-ntgr, reporting the bug and requesting that Netgear investigate.  It's reasonable to ask if they can reproduce it on their systems.  Include a link to the first post, and also a link to the 6.7.1 production post.  That skips over the digressions on the pros and cons of JF.

Clicking on the three dots in the upper right of the post and choosing "highlight" is the easiest way to get a direct link to a post in the middle of a thread.  Then copy/paste the browser's address bar.

Message 24 of 25
mdgm-ntgr
NETGEAR Employee Retired

Do you still have this problem?

Message 25 of 25
Top Contributors
Discussion stats
  • 24 replies
  • 1 kudo
  • 6 in conversation
Announcements